I tried the torch, I really did, I loved the way it was set up, and performed. Unfortunately, it seems like the 5, yes, 5, that I went through (all had issues, from faulty build, to outright damage from factory). It got to the point where I was so frustrated, that I decided to go to a different BB model. So I chose the 9700.

So far, I love this phone, yes, I miss the touch screen, and the performance of the Torch, but I don't miss the seemingly constant freezing, and the uncomfortable feel of the Torch's physical keyboard. (I felt like my pinky fingers were always going numb with the weight of the torch resting on them while typing)

With this all said, I've been having a few random issues with the bold so far:

The wifi is finicky, after dealing with it barely working for a whole day, I ended up down grading my OS to 5.0.0.602, and so far the wifi seems to be 'holding' yet sometimes it cuts out randomly.

I was wondering will an upgrade to the OS6 software help this issue, or is it possible it's just a gremlin in the phone?

After having warranty send me a bunch of different torch's, and they ended up sending me this new (in box) Bold, I'm wondering if I need to claim a warranty on it already.

(I'm frustrated, and getting to the end of my rope with BBs, any help is welcome)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 10:05 PM
    I used the Torch for 6 days then I returned it and got a 9700. Much better device IMHO.

Later one I upgraded to the 9780 but 9700 / 9780 are way better than the Torch with its slider, flat keyboard, and low capacity batter.

Just my 2 cents

------------------------------------------

Yes, upgrading to OS 6 will improve WiFi drastically.

For some strange reason, on all my devices which use OS 5, including the 9700, whenever I connected to my Linksys E1000 Router, the wifi icon would remain grey, where as in OS 6 it would become white within 5 seconds...

I spent endless hours on the phone with the Linksys tech support and with people on the forusm trying to figure out what the problem was, we finally came to a conclution that OS 6 handles WiFi connections differently

So if I were you, I would give it a shot.....

Please follow the guide in my sig to upgrade to OS 6
    03-22-11 11:01 PM
    You could alternatively disable the mobile network, turn on wifi, let it connect, wait for the icon to turn white, then turn the mobile network back on. I have to do this on OS 6 as it doesn't always snap BIS to wifi when enabled.

03-23-11 08:15 AM
    You could alternatively disable the mobile network, turn on wifi, let it connect, wait for the icon to turn white, then turn the mobile network back on. I have to do this on OS 6 as it doesn't always snap BIS to wifi when enabled.

I tried doing that, but it was seriously taking 30 minutes for the wifi to turn on.

03-23-11 03:27 PM
    Same here, os5 always got me frustrated with WIFI and white wifi icon that took ages to appear, os6 all builds had superb wifi conenction.
    03-23-11 04:06 PM
    Looks like I shall be upgrading the OS to 6.0.

Thank you all for the help

03-24-11 12:12 AM
    I've heard that 6.0 had better WiFi connectivity, but the .714 build of 5.0 was perfect on my Bold. Never an issue!
    03-24-11 12:34 AM
    Oh, another side note, I got an iphone given to me by a friend, received it today in the mail, hooked it up to my wifi (works like a charm), even popped my Sim card in the iphone for a few hours to 'play' and the entire time the Sim card was out, and when I put it back into the Bold, the wifi functioned perfectly.

Me thinks the BB was jealous, and subconsciously knew it needed to perform better (though I would never replace my BB with a toy phone). Lol

03-24-11 12:46 AM
    I have had much better signal strength on os6 compared to os5 as well.

03-24-11 03:11 PM
    Try OS6 for a bit!
    03-24-11 06:59 PM
    True, OS 6 handles WiFi connections differently and so much better, heck you don't even need to manually go to the Browser options and set it to use Hotspot Browser then switch back to internet browser when you wanna use your SIM BIS, OS 6 does all that automatically and uses the fastest available connection on ur BB
    03-24-11 07:02 PM
    OS6 has better wifi support.
    03-24-11 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD