Hmm... some harsh words to read hear.

RIMM Needs a New Story - Seeking Alpha

Next up: The mythical tablet that can save any bleeding company, right? To me, the PlayBook is too little, too late. RIMM is tapping a declining base of loyalists in the U.S. and faces some serious anti-iPad competition from Motorola�s (MMI) XOOM and HP�s (HPQ) TouchPad offerings. Sounds crowded, if you ask me.
    03-22-11 02:05 PM
    Hmm... some harsh words to read hear.

RIMM Needs a New Story - Seeking Alpha
    Isn't that the same site that had the horribly written article last week?!?! Don't give that loser a hit to his web page.
    03-22-11 02:24 PM
    WOW definitely some harsh words...I read it thoroughly and honestly i think Rimm is a great company that does things their way. slow and steady but like a new poster mention.... Rimm has been putting their products on hold for the past couple of months specifically so that they could come out with the Playbook but now that is out they are going to go full force on their mobile phones. Honestly with all the new bb i see rumors for, I don't see any other phones that can really compete. I like having my phone with a keyboard cause i love to text, and email.
    I love bbm and i love knowing my phone is not gonna run out if i stay out all night.
    So yeah i think their are many like minded people out there.
    03-22-11 02:26 PM
    Isn't that the same site that had the horribly written article last week?!?! Don't give that loser a hit to his web page.
    I always take reading like this with a grain of salt. But, when a company finally announces a release date for a long awaited product and their stock stays the same (ok, their up 3/4 of a percent) the investors do not appear impressed.

Maybe the investors are waiting for the actual release date?
    03-22-11 02:36 PM
    RIM missed its Q1 release date, its not something investors probably are going to rave about. either way the date is finally out there and its coming in less than a month, consumers should be happy about that.
    03-22-11 02:47 PM
    RIM needs a major "superphone" to get back on top...
    They do! And I'm sure we'll be quite impressed! I'm more then confident!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 03:54 PM
    What RIM needs to do is something. We're almost 4 months into the year and not a peep on anything. They have no concept of hype.
    03-22-11 03:56 PM
    RIM still has T-Mobile to push their products.
    big_time2 likes this.
    03-22-11 04:08 PM
    Time will tell.
    03-22-11 04:13 PM
    They do! And I'm sure we'll be quite impressed! I'm more then confident!

Don't be too confident. We will all be as disappointed as we were in 2010.

Last year we got a new curve, where not much changed from 85xx to 93xx. Then we got a new bold, where, well the only difference was the OS and the camera (from 3mp to 5mp, right?). The same thing happened with pearl, which just got a track pad and was upgraded to 3G. We didn't get a new storm, but we did get a Torch, only on one network though, so it's fair to say that it's useless to most of us.

I hope this year turns out to be better but I won't get my hopes up.
    03-22-11 04:15 PM
    Ehh I think this year will definitely be better than the last, but probably not as good as it could be. Better some progress than no progress though.
    03-22-11 04:35 PM
    What people need to realize is RIM probably won't be overly exciting this year. There will be some nice devices this year the way it looks but nothing crazy. But behind closed doors are the beginnings of hopefully a lot of qnx ran BB phones. So even though it may not show, it could be an exciting year for RIM. Or......
    03-22-11 08:20 PM
    RIM seems a bit like a boat without a rudder right now. They really blew the whole OS6 thing by making a big deal about it and then not getting it out to devices. By the time it got on it's first device, we were hearing about QNX. Now OS 6 is on what, 4 devices?

Now they are releasing what appears to be a pretty kick azz tablet with a kick azz QNX OS, but they have no phones with QNX coming anytime even in the near future, as far as we know. The phones on sale now are still on OS 5 and OS6. And RIM is saying that upcoming phones will have OS 6.1. Hello RIM, is there anyone home upstairs?

So basically, they had no control with OS6, it seems they have no control with OS6.1, and they only have QNX on one device. They should have been developing QNX on multiple new devices instead of putting all their eggs into the Playbook basket. A lot of people aren't going to want to buy a Playbook and then hook a crappy outdated phone to it.

RIM needs to get it together and get all their hardware and software in alignment. As long as everything is out of sync they are going to be drifting aimlessly, IMO. One of the things they need to do to accomplish this is get all the hardware on the same page. They need phones that are different on the outside, but similar on the inside so they can write ONE OS that covers them all. That's the only way they can get where they need to be. Having each device with it's own different OS is killing them.

They need to make some other changes too, but I think this is where they need to start. I do hope they get it together, because I would like to have a Blackberry again someday. Leaving RIM wasn't an easy decision, but they are just too far behind for my needs right now.
    03-22-11 10:11 PM
    I always take reading like this with a grain of salt. But, when a company finally announces a release date for a long awaited product and their stock stays the same (ok, their up 3/4 of a percent) the investors do not appear impressed.

Investors knew the PB was coming as well as its specs. A variance of a week or a month on the release date won't affect the stock price. The playBook announcement was a big deal for consumers, but from an investor's standpoint, today was a non-news day. What they are waiting for is RIM's earnings call on Thursday, where they'll get the real **** on last year's performance (expected to beat earlier estimates) and fresh guidance for next year.

Edit: They censored 'p o o p' !!
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 03-22-11 at 10:48 PM.
    03-22-11 10:45 PM
    Don't be too confident. We will all be as disappointed as we were in 2010.

Last year we got a new curve, where not much changed from 85xx to 93xx. Then we got a new bold, where, well the only difference was the OS and the camera (from 3mp to 5mp, right?). The same thing happened with pearl, which just got a track pad and was upgraded to 3G. We didn't get a new storm, but we did get a Torch, only on one network though, so it's fair to say that it's useless to most of us.

I hope this year turns out to be better but I won't get my hopes up.
    Actually, the Pearl 8100 was five year or something old and the Pearl 3G is brand new.

If you were to actually USE the two Pearls side-by-side, you would that the Pearl 3G isn't "just a refresh" and is essntially completely redesigned from the Pearl 3G.
    03-23-11 10:54 AM
    anyone else here STILL owns an Oven at home? that's right!
    at the end of the day, the microwave can do a LOT of stuff but it won't replace that old reliable oven in your kitchen.
    rollingrock1988 and homer1475 like this.
    03-23-11 11:04 AM
    Ehh I think this year will definitely be better than the last, but probably not as good as it could be. Better some progress than no progress though.
    Just don't expect too much. If you are expecting some minor upgrades then you will be satisfied. Not saying that that's any better for all of us, but some of us will be satisfied with new phones with minor changes. That's why I'm not expecting something huge, just a new phone with some better features than last year's phones.
    03-23-11 11:46 AM
    anyone else here STILL owns an Oven at home? that's right!
    at the end of the day, the microwave can do a LOT of stuff but it won't replace that old reliable oven in your kitchen.
    Yeah but every now and then "old reliable" needs to be replaces with something newer and has more features.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-23-11 at 11:55 AM.
    03-23-11 11:46 AM
    what's the significance of the extra M in RIM?
    03-23-11 01:14 PM
    RIMM is what they are listed in NASDAQ under (Research In Motion Limited).
    ThaGeNeCySt likes this.
    03-23-11 01:20 PM
    Welcome to the media/analyst agenda, where anything anti-RIM is good press. Seriously, it's got to the point where to think ANYTHING even remotely positive about RIM makes you a fanboy that should be murdered in the most brutal way possible... I have high hopes for RIM. They continue to impress me.
    03-23-11 08:16 PM

Did you factor in the fact that maybe RIMM stock was rising steadily in anticipation of the Playbook, and investors had already valued the stock keeping in mind the increase in revenue once the playbook was released.Hence the stock did not move when the date was announced.
    3rd Sep 2010: RIMM stock was at $43.00
    23rd March 2011 : RIMM stock closed at $62.12
    If you want to analyze markets then at least have a total view and not a partial day trader view.
    03-24-11 01:52 AM
    imagine this: Imagine RIM has been waiting and waiting for battery developement to catch up (in general and their own research) before they increase hardware like dual core and 4g. Imagine that they come out with a bang with QNX in 2012 with both 4g, dual core, QNX and the works, all with batterytech that keeps the phones at the same battery life levels that they run on today settin them apart from the competition simply because of the extra efficiancy. All the while, apps get better and more available, and more detailed because of better memory alotment, processor speed, and of course, network speed. All this time passes in order for the likes of Verizon, and even AT&T to mature (or in AT&Ts case.... CREATE) their LTE neworks. Everything comes together with a bang and RIM comes out with the ultimate James Bond device that even plays fluidly with your car and playbook alike to create the best user experience since the birth of the internet!!!

ok ok... I'm dreaming here
    03-29-11 12:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD