Now that we know the release date, when will we learn exactly what the mobile providers will allow? Will we be able to do get to the internet through the phone without a tether charge? I personally feel that alone would make this the #1 tablet on the market, but somehow I doubt it. Thoughts?
    03-22-11 06:48 AM
    After the first person gets a bill with massive fee's for this and that :P. Hopefully soon, I'm hopeing for AT&T to say something about the tethering on it. I may visit my AT&T guy and ask him.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 06:56 AM
    Yeah, you'd have to ask your provider. Verizon already has fees for tablets; whether they'll apply to the Playbook is up to them. Plus, I don't know whether they'll be able to differentiate tether data from the PB or a laptop and hence, have no way to distinguish whether they charge you or not. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment on that aspect.
    03-22-11 07:00 AM
    My guess? Although I'm not sure if its even technically feassible. Rim cuts a deal with the carriers to allow free tethering IF its from a BB. Any other phone and you pay.

03-22-11 07:04 AM
    I have to agree with the OP. Calling your carrier might get you an answer, but probably not an accurate one. I doubt that anybody answering the phone in India has any idea about the PlayBook or how it teathers.

You will only know about teathering fees once you go through your first full billing cycle. I'm sure you can challenge the first bill, if things get out of hand. Most carriers are pretty good about giving you a mulligan - at least Tmo is.

I do note that the Staples description says "* 3G network access using your BlackBerry� smartphone as a modem" - So, at least we now know it is possible, although it might turn out to be expensive. I am on Tmo and expect it will be free, since I do not get charged anything to teather my laptop to my Blackberry using Bluetooth.
    03-22-11 07:12 AM
    My guess? Although I'm not sure if its even technically feassible. Rim cuts a deal with the carriers to allow free tethering IF its from a BB. Any other phone and you pay.

What on earth makes the PB any different from the other tabs. There is no way the PB is going to get a free ride as far as tethering goes. It isn't realistic to even think everybody will have to pay except PB owners.
    03-22-11 07:24 AM
    What on earth makes the PB any different from the other tabs. There is no way the PB is going to get a free ride as far as tethering goes. It isn't realistic to even think everybody will have to pay except PB owners.
    okay sorry
    03-22-11 07:39 AM
    Yes, but wasn't is called something else besides tethering at some point? RIM trying to create a loophole for there faithful followers? I know it is highly unlikely, but??? I have unlimited text/data with our plan so how would it matter, other than service providers not being able to charge for another device?
    03-22-11 07:55 AM
    Yes, but wasn't is called something else besides tethering at some point? RIM trying to create a loophole for there faithful followers? I know it is highly unlikely, but??? I have unlimited text/data with our plan so how would it matter, other than service providers not being able to charge for another device?
    In that sense then a laptop would be the same thing and they charge for that.
    03-22-11 08:17 AM
    so many questions....and so little answers.....this is as hot a topic as when we were waiting for 6.0 on bold 9700.....
    03-22-11 08:23 AM
    Well, if one will be able to send bbms through the tablet, i am guessing that the pb has to make use of the data on the blackberry right? Similarly i am thinking the that goes for browsing etc as well. I don't think doing all this necessarly means tethering as a "hotspot" carrier way of thinking about it but one will have to pay for overages if on a tiered plan.
    03-22-11 08:23 AM
    At the CES review they called it "BlackBerry Bridge" and said there was an going to be an app for it.
    03-22-11 08:43 AM
    At the CES review they called it "BlackBerry Bridge" and said there was an going to be an app for it.
    You cannot surf the web using "Blackberry Bridge", that is a whole different thing. It called smoke and mirrors when they say one thing and make you think they mean something else
    Last edited by grncherry1; 03-22-11 at 09:04 AM.
    03-22-11 09:02 AM
    You have blackberry bridge for hooking up your BB to the PB to get your BES email and calendar etc, then you will be able to tether your BB to the PB for internet purposes (fee's will apply per carrier)
    03-22-11 09:11 AM
    grncherry1 and manofice Is this Fact or Speculation?
    03-22-11 09:46 AM
    grncherry1 and manofice Is this Fact or Speculation?
    I was agreeing with grncherry1 although my wording was a bit confusing, you have the bridge to get your BES stuff on your PB, then you have the tethering for internet. When I used the playbook, they were separate settings within the PB.
    03-22-11 10:02 AM
    Seeing that you tried one/used one will you be getting one?
    03-22-11 10:11 AM
    Seeing that you tried one/used one will you be getting one?
    Absolutely. I have two ipads now, personal and business. But after using the PB and seeing the power it has and different abilities to complete things, it looks awesome and can't wait to get one.
    03-22-11 10:42 AM
    Absolutely. I have two ipads now, personal and business. But after using the PB and seeing the power it has and different abilities to complete things, it looks awesome and can't wait to get one.
    Yay! Sold original ipad thinking i was getting the newer one but decided to wait for the PB instead.
    03-22-11 10:43 AM
    Will tether be making their app for the playbook or will it not be needed?
    03-22-11 10:43 AM
    Sent a tweet to @RogersMiranda this morning asking the question about tethering. @RogersElise responded this: It will be available at no additional charge for customers with a 1GB data plan or more.
    Sounds promising for Rogers customers.
    Seeing as how I am on Verizon this doesn't answer the question for me. It does give me hope that there will be no additional cost, still doubt it though.
    03-22-11 12:05 PM
    slightly off topic, BB Bridge requires OS 5 or higher (as per Telus website)
    03-22-11 06:48 PM
    slightly off topic, BB Bridge requires OS 5 or higher (as per Telus website)
    Thanks RPM, I was searching here and there for an idea of what devices will be able to run Bridge. I'm happy I still get to rock my Bold 9000.

03-22-11 09:15 PM
    i asked if Teather with the playbook, with your data plan for no extra charge on the Rogers Red Boards.

I was told you CAN IF you have a 1 gig of data plan or more.

Preview: BlackBerry PlayBook | Rogers RedBoard
    03-22-11 09:26 PM
    I just tweeted @VZWSupport and should have a response tomorrow
    03-22-11 09:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD