1. T_Mobile_Users_Against_Merger's Avatar
    Become a fan of our Facebook page here:

Facebook.com\T-Mobile Users against the AT&T Merger

Let our voices be heard. We can do it. We're 35 million strong. Invite your friends (and their friends too) to become a fan of this page. We need to send a warning to T-Mobile that we're not going to be messed with this way.

Pricing:
    T-Mobile USA has been fairly aggressive in offering cheaper voice and data plans as it has tried to compete with its larger brethren. The competition has kept the prices in the market low enough. This has worked well for U.S. consumers. With the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile, the market is now reduced to three national players: AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Net-net, U.S. consumers are going to lose.

Billing cycle changes and higher fees for T-Mobile users
    Right now AT&T charges customers for the upcoming month, whereas T-Mobile charges for the month that just passed. Since the AT&T method gets the money in the bank sooner, expect that option to prevail. Also, T-Mobile customers pay less in fees than AT&T customers. Those fees, we ...believe, will go up.

Data and Tethering:

No more �unlimited� data plans
    T-Mobile still offers unlimited data plans, while AT&T does not. T-Mobile�s �unlimited� plan give users the ability to use up to 5GB-per-month, for $30. Data usage past the 5GB threshold is throttled. AT&T�s data plans cap out at 2GB, with extra charges for additional data usage. Expect AT&T to offer its 34 million new subscribers the latter.

In the end, the biggest losers are we, current T-Mobile customers.

AT&T is the master of the metered usage.. They are going to nickel and dime us to death.

This is the end of our Industry leading customer service, the death knell of our unlimited voice and data plans.
    03-21-11 07:22 PM
  2. T_Mobile_Users_Against_Merger's Avatar
    Excerpt from the LA Times:

AT&T's surprise $39-billion acquisition of T-Mobile USA Inc. could lead to more consolidation in the U.S wireless industry, leaving the market with just two dominant providers � and the prospect of higher rates and fewer choices for consumers.

If approved by regulators, the newly expanded AT&T Inc. would have 130 million subscribers, allowing it to leapfrog arch-rival Verizon Wireless and its 94 million customers to become by far the nation's largest wireless carrier. Sprint Nextel Corp. would be a distant third.

The potential market shift could force Verizon to consider making a large acquisition itself, analysts said, possibly including Sprint. But Sprint itself may snap up one or more of the many smaller providers, such as U.S. Cellular and MetroPCS.

"This move by AT&T is likely to start a chain reaction of consolidations in the U.S. market," said Dan Hays, who tracks the telecommunications industry for PRTM, an international consulting firm.

Such a trend probably would drive up mobile service rates and reduce the number of phones and tablet computers available to wireless subscribers, he said.
    03-21-11 07:30 PM
    I hope this works for you T-Mobile customers because we Canadian customers know how it feels when prices are high and up here, all the prices are high and there's is nothing we can do anymore. I myself am with Rogers and pay $80 for an individual student plan. I'm a college student on a 3 year and its pretty hard when you don't have a job and don't have the option to cancel without penalty. But ofcouse I had to sign the contract in order to get their "cheapest" plans. I'm with you guys on this and for the sake of the customers I hope this deal is denied and will join the page as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-11 07:43 PM
    It's quite possible that the merger will not be approved, BUT you never know.
    03-21-11 07:59 PM
    The merger has a lot of hurdles to clear before it even has a chance of being approved, but you cannot seriously be that naive that you think that your/our voice will have ANY bearing on it whatsoever.

Sorry.
    ridesno159 likes this.
    03-21-11 08:03 PM
    I left T-mob for att in December and I couldnt be happier.
    03-23-11 01:55 PM
    I left T-mob for att in December and I couldnt be happier.
    I am happy it works for you. However, I am not looking forward to higher costs, fees, intrusion, crappy CS and throttled data.
    redman12 and big_time2 like this.
    03-23-11 02:25 PM
    i see both sides of this being a former customer of ATT. they DO have a great network. I had 3G service in my tiny little KS college town. I was impressed by that.

BUT

I feel like if you're going to have and boast the best network in America, then let people use it as they see fit. Don't nickle and dime them and severely cap minutes and data. Why have the best network if you're not going to let people experience it fully?
    03-23-11 03:29 PM
    I believe our voices will not make a difference. Not at all. But our wallets do. The only thing I hate about verizon is the fact they are an CDMA carrier. If I can get over that fact, I will probably switch. It's the only way it's gonna hurt them.

And you know verizon is already drooling over all the potential new subscribers on their way to them.
    03-23-11 05:54 PM
    Why does everyone refer to this as a merger, when clearly it's an acquisition? I HATE it. I HATE it!
    03-23-11 07:36 PM
    Puerto Rico users also get the short end of the deal, as AT&T has had bad rep here with acquisitions, as recent as 2009-10 when they bought Centennial...
    03-23-11 08:20 PM
    I believe our voices will not make a difference. Not at all. But our wallets do. The only thing I hate about verizon is the fact they are an CDMA carrier. If I can get over that fact, I will probably switch. It's the only way it's gonna hurt them.

And you know verizon is already drooling over all the potential new subscribers on their way to them.
    I agree with this. I left T-Mobile yesterday and I have no regrets. I voted with my wallet and left.

BTW if you get the thunderbolt phone, you get a sim. VZWs 4G uses sim cards and they are capable between future VZW 4G devices. Not quite gsm but still a little bit better.

03-23-11 10:52 PM
    does this mean the end of UMA as we know it?
    03-24-11 08:12 AM
    does this mean the end of UMA as we know it?
    Yes, plus ATT charges for WIFI access.
    03-24-11 08:55 AM
    I am happy it works for you. However, I am not looking forward to higher costs, fees, intrusion, crappy CS and throttled data.
    Intrusion? Not sure what you mean but if your talking about the govt getting access to your info, all companies can and will do it.

crappy cs? Thats what I do hear but luckily so far so good for me (although its only been a few months to be fair)

Higher costs? Absolutely not depending on what you need. If you are comparing grandfathered plans from years ago thats just plain crazy. I happen to pay just about the same (slightly less actually) on at&t than I did on T-mob (and the way better coverage would have easily justified a higher price)

T-mob: my faves 400 (fam plan), unltd text, bb data (x2) all said and done with insurance and everything ~$165

ATT: nationwide fam plan (700 min w/roll over) unltd texting (includes unltd ANY mobile to mobile), BB 200 mb data (x2) everything out the door (minus insurance since I pay for it through best buy) $148

Perhaps if you need more data or minutes T-mob becomes cheaper than at&t, but this common misconception that T-mob is cheaper than at&t across the board is BS.
    Last edited by Harry_Yambag; 03-24-11 at 09:23 AM.
    03-24-11 09:18 AM
    Yes, plus ATT charges for WIFI access.
    Yeah this is true. Say bye bye to UMA.

Harry, overall ATT is more expensive. Just look the basic costs. I'm not even talking grandfathered features.

Tmo gives you unlimited texts for $10 ATT charges $20
    Data is roughly the same but ATT limits you.
    Tmo's minutes cost less than ATT if you compare the packages.

I'm glad ATT works for you but compared to tmo, yes it costs more.

03-24-11 09:26 AM
    Yeah this is true. Say bye bye to UMA.

Harry, overall ATT is more expensive. Just look the basic costs. I'm not even talking grandfathered features.

Tmo gives you unlimited texts for $10 ATT charges $20
    Data is roughly the same but ATT limits you.
    Tmo's minutes cost less than ATT if you compare the packages.

I'm glad ATT works for you but compared to tmo, yes it costs more.

Im not saying there aren't instances where att is more expensive, or even most of the time perhaps.

But when you look at my example, the bottom line is Im able to pay less per month and not go over my limits on anything. Perhaps texts cost more, minutes cost more and data is limited, but its not limiting me in any way.

Unltd data is great but I never went over 70 mb with T-mob on my 8320 and I havent gone over 90mb with my Torch (even with being on wifi as much as possible ) For me the ability to cut my data costs in half from T-mob enabled me to pay more for min and texts and still pocket a couple bucks a month in savings.

I guess my point is when it comes to wireless calling plans, it really doesnt matter what you pay for each feature, the key is to pay for as little as possible without going over your alloted services (for me atleast).

I dont care if my minutes costs twice as much on att than T-mob or whoever, my bill at the end of the month is what matters.

I hope Im explaining this right.
    03-24-11 09:40 AM
    I am switching from Att to tmo today to support the cause. I hope the service is not bad but most importanly i like having choices and that's what i would like to advocate.

I hope the regulators see that turning down the deal serves the consumer far more. ATT has to pay tmo 3 billion and give up AWS spectrum to tmo while agreeing to a roaming deal. That and having more choices is far better than having a duopoly and a very distant third carrier.
    03-24-11 10:14 AM
    see ATT works for those who only use a small chunk of data. I have a friend on TMO who uses her phone to download homework and books for school. She'd be paying out the azz if she didn't have unlimited data. She said she uses over 5GB a month...so for people like that...this deal could mean a serious rate increase (In the 100s) or switching carriers.
    03-24-11 11:47 AM
    Intrusion? Not sure what you mean but if your talking about the govt getting access to your info, all companies can and will do it.

crappy cs? Thats what I do hear but luckily so far so good for me (although its only been a few months to be fair)

Higher costs? Absolutely not depending on what you need. If you are comparing grandfathered plans from years ago thats just plain crazy. I happen to pay just about the same (slightly less actually) on at&t than I did on T-mob (and the way better coverage would have easily justified a higher price)

T-mob: my faves 400 (fam plan), unltd text, bb data (x2) all said and done with insurance and everything ~$165

ATT: nationwide fam plan (700 min w/roll over) unltd texting (includes unltd ANY mobile to mobile), BB 200 mb data (x2) everything out the door (minus insurance since I pay for it through best buy) $148

Perhaps if you need more data or minutes T-mob becomes cheaper than at&t, but this common misconception that T-mob is cheaper than at&t across the board is BS.
    Im sorry, this is simply untrue. Im currently paying 154 for 2 lines with UNLIMITED MINUTES, TEXT, and WEB.

The fact that we have less national choices isnt going to provide any incentive to reduce costs down the line either.
    03-25-11 06:19 AM
    I pay 158 for 5-lines, 1000 minutes shared, unlimited text, data on two phones with insurance on 3....

No way ATT comes close to that....

03-25-11 09:37 AM
    Im sorry, this is simply untrue. Im currently paying 154 for 2 lines with UNLIMITED MINUTES, TEXT, and WEB.
    and Im sorry but the fact that you say something isnt true, doesnt make it so.

That is what I paid and I gave you my plan details to prove it. Just because you pay slightly less than what i stated, doesnt make me a liar. he11, you even wrote that what you have is different than what I had.

Perhaps you had a grandfathered plan, or a plan that came out after mine, or employee discounts, or work discounts etc. Also, like I stated in another post, I dont need unltd everything. My choice between the lowest cost plan, I possibly can get without going over on min, texts or data, AT&T provided for me, not to mention they also had much better coverage in my area.
    Last edited by Harry_Yambag; 03-25-11 at 09:46 AM.
    03-25-11 09:38 AM

Perhaps you had a grandfathered plan, or a plan that came out after mine, or employee discounts, or work discounts etc. Also, like I stated in another post, I dont need unltd everything. My choice between the lowest cost plan, I possibly can get without going over on min, texts or data, AT&T provided for me, not to mention they also had much better coverage in my area.
    I think the key work here is CHOICE, you have one. Maybe in a year from now you could have less of them to choose from.
    03-25-11 10:39 AM
    I think the key work here is CHOICE, you have one. Maybe in a year from now you could have less of them to choose from.
    You could very well be right. I dont think I took a stance on that one way or the other. I think we need to hope for the best and have VZ and ATT keep prices down through their competition.
    03-25-11 11:29 AM
    and Im sorry but the fact that you say something isnt true, doesnt make it so.

That is what I paid and I gave you my plan details to prove it. Just because you pay slightly less than what i stated, doesnt make me a liar. he11, you even wrote that what you have is different than what I had.

Woah, no one is calling you a liar. I am just stating that the plan you had was not reflecting T-mobile's pricing. Whether or not you needed unlimited data/minutes/messages is besides the point. T-mobile offers unlimited everything for $80/line. Family deal was slightly better at $149 for two unlimited lines, still available today.

My main point was ATT was still pricer with all the choices out there. Once this goes through, i dont see prices going sliding anytime soon.
    03-25-11 05:18 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD