So i have recently acquired two BB 8900s (both were water damaged, and i opened them up, cleaned the keyboard, and they now work fine). In attempting to create a BIS account i get "This BlackBerry(R) device is not registered with your wireless service provider.
    Please register this device and verify that the URL of the current web site matches
    the one provided by your wireless service provider. "

I've gone to advanced options and tried the register option in Host Routing Table, the message sends but i get no reply.

After further investigation i've realized that i a) need a a BB data plan, and b) need to make sure the pin is released from the previous owner's account.

I currently use an android Dell Streak and have the $30 unlimited internet. I only want to use the BBs for BBM.

so i have a couple questions.
    1. If i call at&t and ask them to activate BB data on my unlimited plan will i loose my grandfathered unlimited data?
    2. If i take the sim and put it back into any of my other devices to use the internet, will it work ok or will i have to call at&t and revert to normal data?
    3. After i set up a BIS account can i access BBM via wifi when me sim card is out?
    03-21-11 02:50 AM
    need to make sure the pin is released from the previous owner's account.

I currently use an android Dell Streak and have the $30 unlimited internet. I only want to use the BBs for BBM.

so i have a couple questions.
    1. If i call at&t and ask them to activate BB data on my unlimited plan will i loose my grandfathered unlimited data?
    2. If i take the sim and put it back into any of my other devices to use the internet, will it work ok or will i have to call at&t and revert to normal data?
    3. After i set up a BIS account can i access BBM via wifi when me sim card is out?
    GSM phones dont need to be "released" the way CDMA phones do, so once the SIM card is removed and replaced with a new one, it should automatically register on the network.

1.) most likely, yes. the minute you remove or change your current data plan, they will most likely make you select a newer tiered plan. you may see if they can work with you on this. only way to find out is by asking them.

2.) chances are if you switch to a non BB phone, the BB plan *may* not work. but there is a chance it will. i wouldnt recommend it since the network may see the switch and attempt to switch your data plan accordingly, messing things up. again, call at&t and ask them.

3.) absolutely not. you may access all data over wifi including BBM, even with the mobile newtwork shut off but the SIM card must remain in at all times. tell me, how else would the network and phone know who "you" are, by that i mean your wireless account, data plan, PIN info etc. the SIM contains all your account info. its necessary for the phone to connect to the network. you can however, browse the internet purely on wifi with no SIM card, you just cannot use any BBMs, push email or any other blackberry data plan required apps.
    03-21-11 03:50 AM
    Generally speaking non-BB smartphones work on BB data plans, but BBs don't work on standard smartphone plans (fully).

So for example if you use an android phone as an alternate, leave your plan on the BB plan and you can switch between them.
    03-21-11 01:01 PM
    Thanks for that info. I mainly use my android and just wanted to activate bbm because I was mis informed that you could use bbm on wifi and thought I could use the bb just for bbm on wifi in my house.
    I don't want to risk loosing my unlimited data but I'll give att a call to see if I can switch to a bb data plan without loosing it.
    If not I guess I'm just gonna have to wait for bbm to come to android.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    03-21-11 05:16 PM
    Egh...

To use these BlackBerry phones on AT&T, check with the original carrier's tech support department to see if the PINs are attached to someone's abandoned BIS account. If they are, ask that the IMEI and PIN be zeroed out so you can use the services elsewhere.

If they're already AT&T-branded, check to see if they're unlocked. They may have been used on T-Mobile, and may need to be released from there.

And if you already have unlimited data, you can keep it unless somebody doesn't follow proper steps and deletes it. It can be restored if that happens, but check on it immediately.

If you have a BlackBerry data plan, MOST general smartphones will play nice with it. No plan changes needed after that. LTE and iPhone devices will not play nice with it, though.
    03-21-11 07:47 PM
    If I upgrade will I loose my unlimited data plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 09:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD