Getting a Playbook as soon as they show up (16gb or 32gb to be decided)- (I can wait - it will be here before we know it)... was going to tether via my bb curve but my IT department recommends that I consider connecting through mifi (we are with verizon on our corporate acct) and company's paying for the connection, whichever way I go... they think my bb curve battery life will be consumed with the heavy usage while on the road - if I understand them correctly.. they are recommending the mifi instead (plus also can connect my netbook and other devices at the same time.

Will this work o.k. with the Playbook? (I know nothing - just want the best setup). Don't do lots of gaming/videos on the road - mostly work apps such as excel / salesforce and so on.
    03-17-11 07:03 PM
    yes you will be able to connect the PB with the MIFI BUT you will still need to use your BB and bridge for the PIM data.

You will also be able to use the mifi to connect you laptop at the same time which you cannot do with the BB itself.

If you need a wifi connection for your laptop often i say get the MIFI since work pays for it
    03-17-11 07:06 PM
    Yup, PB will connect to a MiFi as was done on a previous video. Definitely save on BB batt life and if someone else is footing the bill... Plus, you'll be able to connect several devices at once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-11 07:07 PM
    Bringing this thread back with a different spin... I am contemplating which way I should go, I have tethered under the radar to my laptop, but I don't think that will last much longer as they are cracking down, and I know I will surf more with the Playbook. If I add the tethering plan to my existing plan I can either do the Data Pro 4gb for an additional $15 a month, and I would loose my unlimited plan, and AT&T says it is only for one device. Or, I can add a second line for a MiFi and get 5gb for 40.50 after my discount, for 5 devices. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with MiFi that they would like to share?

Thanks!
    04-11-11 11:57 AM
    Wow this is why canada sucks in the cellphone department but Rogers is ahead of the game. I have a 6GB data plan on my bb, and I called Rogers and they said if you have 1gb+, there is no extra cost to tether and I asked specifically about tethering the playbook and the girl said, I could tether anything (laptop/computer/netbook/tablet (including the PB) without extra fee's)
    04-11-11 12:00 PM
    Wow this is why canada sucks in the cellphone department but Rogers is ahead of the game. I have a 6GB data plan on my bb, and I called Rogers and they said if you have 1gb+, there is no extra cost to tether and I asked specifically about tethering the playbook and the girl said, I could tether anything (laptop/computer/netbook/tablet (including the PB) without extra fee's)
    Yes, Canada rocks in that department. How much is the 6gb plan with Rogers?
    04-11-11 12:03 PM
    id like to know as well im sure it was a old plan being grandfathered
    04-11-11 12:07 PM
    got an LTE hotspot and it's the best decision I made. All I need is a playbook case with a pocket and I'll be good to go on April 19th
    04-11-11 12:07 PM
    got an LTE hotspot and it's the best decision I made. All I need is a playbook case with a pocket and I'll be good to go on April 19th
    Yeah AT&T does not offer 4G yet, and will not comment on any upcoming equipment.
    04-11-11 12:09 PM
    $30 for the data. my cell bill is high though, with all my features and everything, my bill tops in at about $110 monthly. But considering the 6GB plan isn't really offered pubically (came out with the launch of the Iphone 3Gs and was able to be transfered over to other phones) 5GB of data is about $40 normally (give or take) this is a great offer
    04-11-11 12:11 PM
    I have the same 6gb plan. Got it a few years ago during the canadian launch of the iphone 3g. Its $30/month, and I've also been told that I can tether to anything I want with any data plan over 1gb and I won't see any extra charges. I have also seen this confirmed by a CSR on rogers redboard in the comments section of their playbook demo video.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 12:13 PM
    $30 for the data. my cell bill is high though, with all my features and everything, my bill tops in at about $110 monthly. But considering the 6GB plan isn't really offered pubically (came out with the launch of the Iphone 3Gs and was able to be transfered over to other phones) 5GB of data is about $40 normally (give or take) this is a great offer
    No kidding, it is a great deal!
    04-11-11 12:19 PM
    I wonder - is it time to get away from Qwest DSL in lieu of a Verizon 4G/LTE hotspot? The data quotas are what's throwing me...if we stream a couple hours of Netflix each day, plus normal surfing and everything else, would the 10gb plan be enough each month? Not much of a cost savings, either...since my Qwest bill is about $90/month w/taxes (includes basic land line service, which I wouldn't need to keep)
    04-11-11 12:23 PM
    $30 for the data. my cell bill is high though, with all my features and everything, my bill tops in at about $110 monthly.
    Wow, that makes me feel great.

I'm with MTS in Manitoba and pay about $180 for 3 phones with almost all the bells and whistles. A bb for me and android for my son with unlimited plans and a plan old cell plan for the wifey.
    04-11-11 01:01 PM
    I wonder - is it time to get away from Qwest DSL in lieu of a Verizon 4G/LTE hotspot? The data quotas are what's throwing me...if we stream a couple hours of Netflix each day, plus normal surfing and everything else, would the 10gb plan be enough each month? Not much of a cost savings, either...since my Qwest bill is about $90/month w/taxes (includes basic land line service, which I wouldn't need to keep)
    I'm guessing your usage is over 100GB/month. Netflix uses a ton of data. Generally assume 1 hour is 1GB, more than double if it's HD, less if you use their new reduced quality feature.
    mgm1979 likes this.
    04-11-11 01:08 PM
    I'm guessing your usage is over 100GB/month. Netflix uses a ton of data. Generally assume 1 hour is 1GB, more than double if it's HD, less if you use their new reduced quality feature.
    yeah, you're probably right...guess I'll stick to the Qwest and keep hoping/praying for FIOS to launch out here someday...
    04-11-11 02:47 PM
    After weighing the pros and cons of every option that I know of, for pumping data into the Playbook, I decided to trade in my 4G usb air card and get a 4G/3G hot spot so I can connect my laptop,playbook, BB (and up to 3 more devices) and get 4G speed. I figured that the Tether (app) option was a good choice, but Im betting that the carriers put a stop to it with the release of all the tablets (too much $$$ at stake!). So just like Napster, I went legit!
    04-11-11 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD