Since I upgraded to OS6, Meterbrry is showing that I'm leaking about 20mb every day. Sometimes more. I always check to make sure I'm not running several programs at once as well. I'm sure the OS's memory leak is what's causing the horrible battery drain. In fact I needed to buy Seidio's big battery (forgot the size but its the one with the larger battery door). At this point I must soft reset the phone daily...its becoming a huge hassle. Not to mention I'm getting the same text messages 6-8 times. I really like the Bold but I have to go back to OS5. I know its not just this phone since its the third one I've had in 2011 because the first 2 just went to sh!t.
    Anyone else notice these issues?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-11 03:21 PM
    I'm not sure if its caused by the memory leak or what, but i charge my phone all night and its doesnt make it past 12pm. I have no apps running in the background and i causally text so idk what the issue could be
    03-16-11 06:55 PM
    I get pretty decent batt life on my bold, os6.431 Now, as for mem leak....well. Yes. I leak about 3-12mbs a day, and depending on what theme I'm running, it can leak as high as 40mb a day. Daily reboots? YES. Do i mind much, no not really. Other than having to reboot every day or every other, my bold runs pretty snappy, no complaints.

As for your batt life, I'm a strong believer that the weather conditions have some pull with that. If its really cloudy, hazy, foggy etc., I think the bb has to work harder to find a signal because of bad weather conditions. Call me crazy, but its what i believe.
    03-16-11 07:37 PM
    what os6 builds are you guys running? Check your basic settings(backlight display should be around 10 or 20), auto dim on, backlight timeout around 10 or 20. With these settings and fairly active use I usually get around 12 to 13 hours on a charge. I have played with every setting and every OS6 build and the best battery the 9650 will get is around 12 to 14 hrs on a charge. I remember when I used OS5 it was around the same.
    03-16-11 07:40 PM
    I have very little memory leak, I might lose 5mb in a 5-6 days. My battery life is good from 7am to 11pm every day with heavy usage. Pink, really weather conditions?

Last edited by princebb; 03-16-11 at 07:59 PM.
    03-16-11 07:51 PM
    OK you wanna talk memory leak, you can't have the conversation with me...the QUEEN of memory leaks. Let's see, uptime 16hours 30 mins...total loss 49.3MB

Yes, I usually restart my device twice a day...but today I forgot so you can see where I am. Does it make the battery low. I don't think so. I however was never really satisfied with my battery life, so I got an extended battery...a Seidio 2600mAH and I can't kill that thing. Lasts forever!!

Do it. Get the extended battery, reboot as needed and enjoy your phone. I have spent the better part of 5 months trying to troubleshoot the memory leak problem and there is no answer. Believe me. I know. I am the QUEEN of memory leaks.
    03-16-11 07:58 PM
    Believe me she is the QUEEN, she knows her leaks!!

03-16-11 08:17 PM
    I will agree with the weather's effect on battery. I live and work in a poor signal area and small changes in signal strength are easilly noticed. Cloudy or foggy weather does make signal reception even worse but a light rain or drizle will make me cuss at my beloved Berry even though I know it cant be helped.

The poorer the signal, the harder the phone works to keep connected and the faster the battery drains.

I've even heard a week signal or switching to roam a lot compares to a phone call when it comes to battery usage. I'm not sure if that is completly acurate but I don't think it's too far off the mark.

03-16-11 10:29 PM
    I've never had the weather affect how my battery performed.

03-16-11 10:44 PM
    I have very little memory leak, I might lose 5mb in a 5-6 days. My battery life is good from 7am to 11pm every day with heavy usage. Pink, really weather conditions?

yes Prince, really-weather conditions! lol

I will agree with the weather's effect on battery. I live and work in a poor signal area and small changes in signal strength are easilly noticed. Cloudy or foggy weather does make signal reception even worse but a light rain or drizle will make me cuss at my beloved Berry even though I know it cant be helped.

The poorer the signal, the harder the phone works to keep connected and the faster the battery drains.

I've even heard a week signal or switching to roam a lot compares to a phone call when it comes to battery usage. I'm not sure if that is completly acurate but I don't think it's too far off the mark.

I see the differences here also dairyberry. I know people think i'm crazy, but thats ok! lol. Ie. yest was cloudy, rainy, just plain ol'crappy and my batt was working up a storm - had to keep charging it(no pun intended!LOL) but by the afternoon it cleared up and my batt seemed to level out.
    I've never had the weather affect how my battery performed.

really, you've never noticed a difference? have you ever noticed a difference if your in a building that has really thick walls? That effects it too. and no, I'm not trying to be a smart@$$
    03-17-11 08:31 AM
    It appears that no matter what OS6 your running there is going to be some sort of memory leak. Until RIM can fix this problem and others (JavaScript) I guess I just have to deal with it. I usually get about 14 hours per charge and lose approx 7-10mb per day, and yes I battery pull every morning, what I won't do for my beloved BLACKBERRY. I just hope the new wave of BLACKBERRY have less problems, GREATNESS also has its UPS and DOWNS....I'm not PERFECT either
    03-17-11 03:07 PM
    Jaydee, prince, queen, dairy, bayou and spence: thanks for the helpful comments. I'm not a noob with our rim toys we all hold so dear. I have the seidio 2600 if that's the big one that comes with the new door. I also have vzw's signal amp in my home office so it can't be fighting too hard to find a signal. I really want to love os6. I had been anticipating it for a very long time as I'm sure we all were.

I'll admit I have weatherberry and BBT's really Neat Slate theme so that I can use my wallpaper changer... All possibly memory robbing accomplices as well. But I have the same setup I had with os5 and I could go a week with very little mem leaking and maybe a soft reset every 10 days or so.

What to do... What to do...

03-17-11 11:49 PM
    Jaydee, prince, queen, dairy, bayou and spence: thanks for the helpful comments. I'm not a noob with our rim toys we all hold so dear. I have the seidio 2600 if that's the big one that comes with the new door. I also have vzw's signal amp in my home office so it can't be fighting too hard to find a signal. I really want to love os6. I had been anticipating it for a very long time as I'm sure we all were.

I'll admit I have weatherberry and BBT's really Neat Slate theme so that I can use my wallpaper changer... All possibly memory robbing accomplices as well. But I have the same setup I had with os5 and I could go a week with very little mem leaking and maybe a soft reset every 10 days or so.

What to do... What to do...

Yes OS6 has a memory leak. You have to decide if you want to deal with it because of the benefits of OS6 or not.
    03-18-11 06:28 AM
    really, you've never noticed a difference? have you ever noticed a difference if your in a building that has really thick walls? That effects it too. and no, I'm not trying to be a smart@$$
    No, I've never noticed a difference due to weather, and yes I know that some buildings are difficult to penetrate.

03-18-11 09:48 AM
    The best way I fight memory leaks is by shrinking the OS, especially those annoying start up video, there are also 7 hidden introductory videos that are hidden deep in the device that take up to 7 MB!

With the use of BB Boss 2.2.2, I was able to remove them and get so much more free memory

IF anyone wants a step by step guide on how to do that, please let me know and I will be more than happy to post it and I ensure you, you will get more memory which will help remedy this memory leak issue.
    03-18-11 11:38 AM
    The best way I fight memory leaks is by shrinking the OS, especially those annoying start up video, there are also 7 hidden introductory videos that are hidden deep in the device that take up to 7 MB!

With the use of BB Boss 2.2.2, I was able to remove them and get so much more free memory

IF anyone wants a step by step guide on how to do that, please let me know and I will be more than happy to post it and I ensure you, you will get more memory which will help remedy this memory leak issue.
    Shrinking the OS does NOT help a memory leak. LOL
    All it does is remove files from your device.
    And I have used Shrink for YEARS and have had a leak on every version of OS6 leaks, officials and hybrids I have run.
    03-18-11 12:02 PM
    Shrinking the OS does NOT help a memory leak. LOL
    All it does is remove files from your device.
    And I have used Shrink for YEARS and have had a leak on every version of OS6 leaks, officials and hybrids I have run.
    Oh I know Jaydee, I didn't say it will stop the memory leak, all I said is that it will help, as in, if you have more memory to start off with, you will be less affected by the memory leak since you have more memory available

03-18-11 01:01 PM
    Oh I know Jaydee, I didn't say it will stop the memory leak, all I said is that it will help, as in, if you have more memory to start off with, you will be less affected by the memory leak since you have more memory available

Ah ok, now I gotcha Matrix! haha.
    Yes, I have to recover as much memory as I can to keep my phone operating!
    03-18-11 01:24 PM
    I guess maybe I shouldn't gripe too much about my poor signal/battery life. I have to swap out my dead battery for a charged one almost every afternoon. I never noticed a memory leak due to the daily battery pull.

Guess there is always a bright side if you look hard enough.

That might change in the next month or two. There are two new towers going up in the area. Maybe then I will start to be affected by the leak.

03-18-11 01:50 PM
    Ah ok, now I gotcha Matrix! haha.
    Yes, I have to recover as much memory as I can to keep my phone operating!

In my experience, freeing memory through an app is a gimmick...

Proof....In Meter berry. reported memory is X.....

I use an app to free up memory....

guess what? I check MeterBerry, free memory is still X

It is logically impossible to free up memory as the app modules have to be loaded on the BB.

It is not like RAM on a computer where the apps get loaded onto memory just as you run them, as long as a BB app is installed, it consumes that memory.

so freeing up memory through some software IMO is useless.

just my 2 cents
    03-18-11 02:21 PM
    In my experience, freeing memory through an app is a gimmick...

Proof....In Meter berry. reported memory is X.....

I use an app to free up memory....

guess what? I check MeterBerry, free memory is still X

It is logically impossible to free up memory as the app modules have to be loaded on the BB.

It is not like RAM on a computer where the apps get loaded onto memory just as you run them, as long as a BB app is installed, it consumes that memory.

so freeing up memory through some software IMO is useless.

just my 2 cents
    You better keep your 2 cents as your wrong again.

The native app "Memory Cleaning" will help keep the memory "fresh" and automatically recover needed memory for use.
    03-18-11 04:56 PM
    Since I upgraded to OS6, Meterbrry is showing that I'm leaking about 20mb every day. Sometimes more. I always check to make sure I'm not running several programs at once as well. I'm sure the OS's memory leak is what's causing the horrible battery drain. In fact I needed to buy Seidio's big battery (forgot the size but its the one with the larger battery door). At this point I must soft reset the phone daily...its becoming a huge hassle. Not to mention I'm getting the same text messages 6-8 times. I really like the Bold but I have to go back to OS5. I know its not just this phone since its the third one I've had in 2011 because the first 2 just went to sh!t.
    Anyone else notice these issues?

Another thing that can contribute to battery drainage is if you are roaming a lot. You might try resending your PRL (*229).
    03-18-11 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD