In the wake of the recent demos, I've begun wondering why it seems assumed that owners will want to install all their music onto a tablet. I use a 16GB card on my Torch, and it can carry more music than I need.

Unless someone wants to store music videos why would we pay more to get increased storage space just for music on a tablet? I mean your phone is always with you, so it makes sense to store audio on it. Why would anyone pay more to have a redundant system on a tablet, which probably won't be with you quite as often?

I'm assuming everyone would still make their computer the "home" for storing music. Since most will have their computer and a smartphone, why have music files on a third device?
    03-16-11 06:29 AM
    Well I don't know about the music but some may want to save movies, pictures and other files on it. A movie can take a lot of space.
    03-16-11 06:33 AM
    I aim for the 64 GB PB mainly because I wanna listen to music and read Manga comics (which uses a lot of space) and turn on Doom demo simultaneously just because I can!
    03-16-11 06:45 AM
    why is music the only thing you can load on it?

as the last poster mentioned, comics in cbr format can be quite large. videos of course. all sorts of documents, ebooks, powerpoint presentations, etc. games can take up a big chunk as well.

personally I don't see myself needing more than 16gb, but that's just me personally.
    03-16-11 07:40 AM
    I'm not suggesting music is the only thing you can load on it. I'm simply wondering why anyone might want to:

1) pay more for storage space to replicate files they carry on their phone
    2) deal with the hassle of syncing yet another device.

I understand storing other MM files like video and photos. Audio seems different to me, though. There may very well be a good reason - I just can't think of one.
    03-16-11 07:56 AM
    I'm not suggesting music is the only thing you can load on it. I'm simply wondering why anyone might want to:

I understand storing other MM files like video and photos. Audio seems different to me, though. There may very well be a good reason - I just can't think of one.
    many people i know have iPods with a large music portfolio, thats from execs down to people like me, so its obvious most people like listening to music. now carrying a PlayBook and an iPod just wouldnt make sense. also you say about your phone, however even with a torch + 32Gb card then 36Gb is the limit (in truth closer to 30Gb). lets say you want everything all in one place wouldnt it make sense? it would be less to carry about and less cables/chargers to move around too.

also part of the truth of the matter is that apple have proven for the last 11 months that people will buy those sizes, so surely you play to what the market wants
    03-16-11 08:03 AM
    As for me personally, it goes further than just music. I intend on having my music collection on it (roughly 10gb), and want to have plenty of space left for movies, as I have quite a few ripped onto my computer. Not to mention pictures, Word and powerpoint documents for school, and of course some games.

Why the extra storage? Why not? The more you can hold on a device, the more you get out of it. My playbook will fill the niche I usually have filled with a laptop, so I want it to do as much as a laptop as possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-11 08:04 AM
    If I'm flying, then my phone will usually be in my bag and I'd like to have some music on the device to listen to. Also, it's just a lot easier to navigate your music if you're holding the tablet rather than having to always reach into your pocket to pull out the phone and switch media and such. My mp3 player will still be my main device which will hold all my music but it's also a lot easier to have at least some music on the Playbook.
    03-16-11 08:34 AM
    1) Hopefully it has better speakers than my BlackBerry if I am in the Kitchen.
    2) In the car connected to BlueTooth it will be easy to pass to my wife to flip through and control than my BlackBerry (she is an iPhone user and complains any time I ask her to change what is planing on a roaad trip etc).
    03-16-11 08:36 AM
    Because they can!
    03-16-11 08:43 AM
    What I do right now for my podcasts is:
    1. Start the podcast
    2. Play games on Torch (device I'm listening to the podcast on) while listening
    3. Switch over to the podcast app occasionally to see how much time is left

While playing games on my Torch is fun, something tells me Need For Speed would also be fun. and gaming is better on a bigger screen. Therefore I would store my music on my PlayBook in order to have an improved gaming/podcasting experience.

03-16-11 08:45 AM
    As for me personally, it goes further than just music. I intend on having my music collection on it (roughly 10gb), and want to have plenty of space left for movies, as I have quite a few ripped onto my computer. Not to mention pictures, Word and powerpoint documents for school, and of course some games.

Why the extra storage? Why not? The more you can hold on a device, the more you get out of it. My playbook will fill the niche I usually have filled with a laptop, so I want it to do as much as a laptop as possible.

EXACTLY! I have about 30 GB of music, so i want the 64 GB unit so i can have all of it and have plenty of room for movies and documents. I want to be able to relax on the couch and read, work on documents, surf the web and listen to music while i do it. If iim traveling or waiting somehwere i want to be able to light off a movie or two. The idea is to have all of my data with me where ever i have to go.
    03-16-11 08:46 AM
    Because my 16GB card in my Berry won't hold all my music. This gives me another 16/32/64GBs for the rest of my music *and* my movies. . Sound also as the speakers are stereo.

03-16-11 08:47 AM
    The demo just intends to show multimedia capabilities of the Playbook. That's about it.
    I think the storage is mostly needen for HD Movies. Now if you want to watch a movie on the playbook on the go divx or some other compressed format is fine, and you can have a small movie collection even on the 16GB model. Considering that the playbook has an hdmi port and can extract HD movies to big screens you would need more storage to take advantage of that. I have about 15 HD movies on my pc hard drive which alone are about 150-250 GB. Why would someone pay for a bigger storage model? So that you can fit one or two extra movies or other HD content on the device. That's the main reason I can think of.

03-16-11 08:52 AM
    Like others have said except for 1 thing. I don't have any music on my phone now so I would not be duplicating anything. Movies, Documents, some games and some music for me but my phone is a phone. I tried listening to music on my phone but I am to lazy to sync my music. Satellite Radio is where I listen to 99% of my music.
    03-16-11 08:54 AM
    Really? I am sorry but i always laugh at those who listen music on their ipads, i mean no disrespect but you have nothing better on the tablet but to listen to music? it's just looks silly.

If you think getting your music device out of the pocket is cumbersome, how about trying to unlock the device on a 10 inch screen and selecting the song while fumbling it. It's like those people who have the ultra tiny ipod nanos or suffles but massive headphones, what's the logic there? lol.
    03-16-11 09:48 AM
    Listen to music on a bigger screen...
    -"Blackberry Amplified"

03-16-11 10:10 AM

Let's say you are on a plane. Do you want to drain the battery on your phone, just to listen to music? I do everything I can to take the "load" off my phone, when traveling. that's why I carry a Touch on vacation.
    03-16-11 10:16 AM
    Let's say you are on a plane. Do you want to drain the battery on your phone, just to listen to music? I do everything I can to take the "load" off my phone, when traveling. that's why I carry a Touch on vacation.
    That's the only benefit that came to mind for me. It would probably also apply to people commuting that don't have easy access to recharge durning the day. I have had times where playing music can suck battery life. Last thing I want to do is worry about a dead phone because I was listening to music. I've even gone back to carrying my nano when commuting.

Having a single device that can do everything and be portable is the holy grail of technophiles. Tablets seem to add some specialized features, but until they can completely substitute for phone-sized devices and offer increased capabilities we're not getting any closer to that dream.
    03-16-11 10:37 AM
    Why load music on anything? Seems the logical answer is to listen to it. Obvious to me that versatility is a nice thing to have, and many folks like to listen while they work. Does it really matter what they can do with their space? That's not up to another. Choice is up to the individual. If they want to load up their PlayBook with cats dancing and canaries farting in addition to their spreadsheets and toilet schedules, it apparently makes sense to them. More power to them!

03-16-11 11:01 AM
    I totally agree with the OP. I have a 32gb microsd in my 9700 and it is ALWAYS with me. All of my music fits on that card (with a bit of room to spare). If I were flying or traveling anywhere I would want to use my 9700 as much as possible and save the PB for the things I need a big screen for. Why? BECAUSE THE 9700 HAS A REPLICABLE BATTERY AND THE PB DOES NOT. I always travel with two extra 9700 batteries in my bag - the are very cheap and hold a charge forever.

If I am on a long flight, I would much rather listen to music on my 9700 - and burn through one of my batteries - and save my PB for watching movies, or reading e-books.

Thus, I will probably end up buying the 16GB version, since all I will really be adding to mine are apps, ebooks, and - maybe - an occasional movie. None of these take much space.

Question: Does anybody know how much of the 16GB is taken up by the OS and the plethora of apps they keep saying will come pre-loaded? That is, when I open this up out of the box, how much of my 16gb will be unused?
    03-16-11 11:14 AM
    Thats what makes it a good time to LIVE, the WANT and NEED for each individual is different in all aspects of LIFE. For me, the eyes are not as good as they once were so a larger screen is better while maintaining portability inwhich my 9650 and newly won PLAYBOOK brings. Its all about what my LIFESTYLE needs and wants....key word "MY". I mostly use my phone for just that, a phone with some media now with the Playbook I can broden my portable media experience.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-16-11 at 11:22 AM.
    03-16-11 11:16 AM
    Congrats man,

and newly won PLAYBOOK
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-16-11 11:18 AM
    Question: Does anybody know how much of the 16GB is taken up by the OS and the plethora of apps they keep saying will come pre-loaded? That is, when I open this up out of the box, how much of my 16gb will be unused?
    As discussed in another PlayBook thread, the music sync video had (I think) 10.5GB left on the device, but that was including a few demo movies, some pictures, a few songs, and a few apps that aren't pre-installed. Also, Need For Speed is 1GB, and just the OS is probably 1GB max, so if you delete all apps off of it you could probably get around 13-14 GBs (once you also include that a 16 GB hard drive isn't actually 16GB). Assuming that you keep everything that's pre-installed, expect around 11-12GB

Note: this information is not my own. I gathered it all from the thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/how-many-gb-os-pre-loaded-apps-595162/

03-16-11 01:47 PM
    congrats man,
    thank-you very much
    03-16-11 04:33 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD