Alright. With the rumored iPhone 5 specs saying that the iPhone 5 will have a dual core processor. Really, do you guys think it will need it? The iPhone 4 is already fast and the next gen iPhone wont be running flash so I don't see no need for a dual core processor. I mean I understand the iPad needing it with all the heavy gaming and web browsing but I thought the iPhone wouldn't need as much power since it has a smaller screen than the iPad. But that's just my opinion, not speaking for everyone. And plus the dual core processor will eat more battery power so I don't think it's really neccessary. What do you guys think?
    03-12-11 11:35 PM
    Only if its going to run OSX...

03-13-11 07:13 AM
    I'd say no. Most of the apps should be fine with a single core. Completely agree with Bazza as the iPad will use flash and is closer to a normal personal computer than a phone (smartphone). So I wouldn't really see the need of a dual core in a phone.
    03-13-11 07:31 AM
    i don't think so either, but if ever that's the case, i wonder how it's going to perform in terms of battery life
    03-13-11 07:35 AM
    Well if the battery life was a bad as with the 3GS you probably would need to charge it every 8 hours. The iP4 was better but I believe it's a long way down before we need (if ever?) a dual core in a smartphone. What would make more sense might be some sort of GPU for videos. As the phones mutate into entertainment devices.

I remember my first phone which was a Sagem. Was happy to make phone calls with it. That was it
    03-13-11 07:41 AM
    Does a duck need water to swim in? Do people need food to live? Do men need sex? Yes, yes, and yes and yes to the Iphone 5 needs a dual processor.
    03-13-11 08:39 AM
    The fact is that iPhone 5 is going to get a dual core processor for the next release. Just like last year it got the same A4 chip on as on the ipad. This year it more than likely will get the A5. The advantages of a dual core processor is better battery life. The battery life for the current iphone 4 is phenomenal, just imagine if it had a dual core processor? Let's face it, iphone 4 can be laggy at times as well. On top of that Apple will have the flexibility to implement a more demanding OS, it's all to everyone's advantage.
    Last edited by JD914; 03-13-11 at 11:51 AM.
    03-13-11 10:20 AM
    Does the iPhone 5 need a dual core processor?... In terms of everyday performance and usability, probably not. Does the iPhone 5 need a dual core processor to cater to consumers' perception that Apple is keeping up with the competition?... Yes.
    Palmiros likes this.
    03-13-11 11:45 AM
    You both are right. What I'm interested in to see would be if they increase the screen estate for future iPhone models. A 4.3 screen might be interesting.
    03-13-11 11:51 AM
    Does the iPhone 5 need a dual core processor?... In terms of everyday performance and usability, probably not. Does the iPhone 5 need a dual core processor to cater to consumers' perception that Apple is keeping up with the competition?... Yes.
    Speculating on what iPhone5 does not need? We cant say for sure it doesn't need it but with possibly a larger display and iOS 5 which will probably implement a better notification system and improvement on multi-tasking it would be to their advantage to have a dual core processor on iPhone5.

Your basing your iPhone5 assessment on the current iPhone. Better processors usually follow significant hardware and software upgrades, it's just how technology evolves. Try putting a 500mhz processor on any high end device and see what a disaster that will turn to be.
    Last edited by JD914; 03-13-11 at 12:15 PM.
    03-13-11 12:03 PM
    You both are right. What I'm interested in to see would be if they increase the screen estate for future iPhone models. A 4.3 screen might be interesting.
    Lets face it, while iPhone is an overall great device the current 3.5 is simply too small. A 3.5 inch screen was ground breaking for 2007 but that's no longer the case.

If anyone is worried about a 4 inch screen making iPhone significantly bigger, thats not the case. I put my Atrix along side my iPhone 4 and they are almost identical in size. You can notice how much screen real estate is wasted on the home button and the phone speaker. IMO a 4 inch display is possible on the next iPhone without making it bigger.

BTW rumors and leaked pictures indicate that iPhone 5 will have at least a 4 inch display. I'm hoping this is the case.
    03-13-11 12:13 PM
    I'd say no. Most of the apps should be fine with a single core. Completely agree with Bazza as the iPad will use flash and is closer to a normal personal computer than a phone (smartphone). So I wouldn't really see the need of a dual core in a phone.
    Flash on the ipad? Not without jailbreaking and hacking.

Skyfire doesn't count, as their servers are doing the hard work, not your idevice.
    03-13-11 12:51 PM
    So for those of you who are wondering if the iPhone 5 will have a 4" display, here it is:

If the A5 processor is efficient on battery life, then it might be enough for me to jump ship. What they did was streched the screen to the edges and got rid of the empty spaces on both sides. Like an Apple Fan boy would say, this is pure magic! Lol. But serious just kidding yall. I'm not an Apple Fan boy at all :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-11 01:04 PM
    Flash on the ipad? Not without jailbreaking and hacking.

Skyfire doesn't count, as their servers are doing the hard work, not your idevice.
    Ah damn it mixed it up with nitro java. You're right my mistake. But as Adobe have released the flash -> HTML5 converter there might be good times ahead as flash often kills my laptop as well.

Never tried Skyfire. Might be worse a try.
    03-13-11 01:36 PM
    Ah damn it mixed it up with nitro java. You're right my mistake. But as Adobe have released the flash -> HTML5 converter there might be good times ahead as flash often kills my laptop as well.

Still don't think flash will be coming to the iPhone especially after Steve Jobs talked smack about flash.

03-13-11 02:11 PM
    The fact is that iPhone 5 is going to get a dual core processor for the next release. Just like last year it got the same A4 chip on as on the ipad. This year it more than likely will get the A5. The advantages of a dual core processor is better battery life. The battery life for the current iphone 4 is phenomenal, just imagine if it had a dual core processor? Let's face it, iphone 4 can be laggy at times as well. On top of that Apple will have the flexibility to implement a more demanding OS, it's all to everyone's advantage.
    not true entirely. The iPad2 has a bigger battery than iPad1 but still most reviewers reported that the battery life of iPad2 is less than iPad1
    03-13-11 02:20 PM

Here's your answer, when I tried to download flash on my iPad (yes I knew it was impossible but did it just to see what it would tell me), this is what I got:

So the problem is with Apple not Adobe.

03-13-11 09:27 PM
    There is only one reason for the next iPhone to have a dual-core proc in it. So that RIM again will not have a product out in time to beat anyone else to market with new technology.

I like how RIM was all dual-core tablet this and that and first to make one, blah blah blah. iPad2 is on sale with dual-core. Where is RIM's tablet?.... Oh yeah, still making the rounds on show-n-tell.

BTW, what's a sure fire way to keep Steve from dying anytime soon?......... Tell him Apple will make Flash possible on iDevices once he's in the ground.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-13-11 10:21 PM
    It needs a dual core, one core dedicated to the atomic clock. That bug's gettin' fixed good this time.
    03-13-11 10:39 PM
    Well, I don�t think that iPhone 5 really needs A5 processor because iPhone 4 works really good and fast. Only antenna issue occurred on iPhone 4 but overall performance was good, but if Apple has inserted dual processors on it then I think it will be the best Smartphone in 2011.
    03-14-11 02:37 AM
    Well, I don’t think that iPhone 5 really needs A5 processor because iPhone 4 works really good and fast. Only antenna issue occurred on iPhone 4 but overall performance was good, but if Apple has inserted dual processors on it then I think it will be the best Smartphone in 2011.
    Dual core processor or not, they will not be the best smartphone until they implement a decent notification system thats comparable with the competition but that's another story.
    03-14-11 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD