I just got my bill from rogers and to my surprise there was a 970.00 charge for 17 megs of data used while I was in nassau for 3 days on superbowl weekend. I go to nassau often and with my older bb's I would usually have 20-30 dollars of roaming charges after a weekend there. I can only assume that because of the many more apps running on the torch (fb,twitter,weather, etc) it got so costly.

Be sure to turn data off when roaming unless you like expensive surprises.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-11 08:41 PM
    Depends on your carrier also. Some carriers, roaming is included in your data plan.
    03-11-11 08:43 PM
    What many more apps running on the torch? There arent that many additional apps from OS5. Probably social feeds that comes as part of the OS installation, and maybe twitter. Theres no built in weather.

Also, your rate is 5 cents per kilobyte, thats quite a bit, this does not apply to everyone :[
    Last edited by gbsn; 03-11-11 at 08:47 PM.
    03-11-11 08:44 PM
    I never checked the rate because I purposely don't use my phone much while there. This usage all happenned while the phone was sitting in the hotel room. Lol. I didn't have social feeds on my curve. That's the only difference I can think of.

03-11-11 08:49 PM
    I never checked the rate because I purposely don't use my phone much while there. This usage all happenned while the phone was sitting in the hotel room. Lol. I didn't have social feeds on my curve. That's the only difference I can think of.

If your current bill has not ended, you may probably have an option to add an international data package from day 1 of the bill. At&t has this option, you probably will end up paying like 300$, but at least is not 970. Then you can disable it on the next bill. You should check your options with rogers.
    03-11-11 08:55 PM
    Or if you ask nicely, sometimes the carrier will cut you a break on the bill.

You didn't know certain apps were using data in the background, accidental usage, etc, etc...
    03-11-11 08:57 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Actually after a long talk with rogers this afternoon I have to say they were great. They waived the whole amount and said it was because it was my first and only billing issue in 26 years. (I have the same account since they started as cantel in 1984). They also politely warned me that won't happen again and to be carefull. Lol

03-11-11 09:02 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Actually after a long talk with rogers this afternoon I have to say they were great. They waived the whole amount and said it was because it was my first and only billing issue in 26 years. (I have the same account since they started as cantel in 1984). They also politely warned me that won't happen again and to be carefull. Lol

Nice to hear how nice Rogers CSRs can be sometimes

I think it's usually hit or miss with them...lol. I had to try retentions like 4 or 5 times to finally get the plan I was looking for.

Back on topic though, I normally just turn off data entirely when out of the country, I don't wanna any headaches when I receive a bill. Most of the time I can find a wireless signal...so it's pretty handy.
    03-11-11 11:53 PM
    Ugh - sorry to hear about the charge, but glad it was resolved. Rleated to your issue, can anyone report from personal experience that they have been able to avoid the type of issue described in the original post as follows:

Manage connections / Mobile network options / set Data services while roaming = Off

I'm not looking for affirmation that this is how hypothetically one should configute their phone but rather confirmation that this actually works. Thanks!

03-14-11 10:31 AM
    I wouldn't trust that because I am almost sure I had it configured that way.

03-14-11 11:02 AM
    Ugh - sorry to hear about the charge, but glad it was resolved. Rleated to your issue, can anyone report from personal experience that they have been able to avoid the type of issue described in the original post as follows:

Manage connections / Mobile network options / set Data services while roaming = Off

I'm not looking for affirmation that this is how hypothetically one should configute their phone but rather confirmation that this actually works. Thanks!

@ Real Canuk, did you uncheck the mobile network? in your case Rogers?

You're forgetting one Vital option, that is turn the radio OFF.
    that is under manage connection, uncheck the mobile Network.
    leave the Wi-fi and bluetooth ON.

that's what i do, and i'm usually out of the country most times of the year.
    03-14-11 11:16 AM
    I didn't do that as I want to be able to receive calls, but at the same time no data.

03-14-11 11:29 AM
    Whenever I travel I turn off my network services and use wifi only. If I don't have access to wifi my phone stays off. No surprises on my bill at all.

03-14-11 11:42 AM
    I have international roaming on my plan and international data block. Its a good idea to check with your service provider before you go, this type of bill is quite common.

03-14-11 11:52 AM
    i actually bought my bold for the purpose of (besides the bb) the camera aspect, knowing i was going on a cruise to the carribean. i went, and sure enough, got a bill for over a grand. called att, pointed out that someone might have mentioned that the "smart" phone will keep rebooting looking for towers on the water, and they reversed the charges... next thing i know, the second half came in, as the cruise hit the middle of the billing period. had to call again, but got all the charges reversed again.

the point is, just because we call and take care of the charges we know about, doesn't mean that's all of them, so keep an eye on your bill.
    03-14-11 11:59 AM
    Hi,

I'm travelling to the US next week from the UK and the hotels I'm staying in hhave free wifi.

I only want to be able to access my email, BBM, facebook, twitter etc...

Would the best way be to turn radio off and just leave wifi on?
    03-23-11 08:25 AM
    Yes. Best way to keep in touch without the big bills.

03-23-11 09:13 AM
    Network OFF. that's as simple as it can BE
    03-23-11 10:35 AM
    Would anyone know if UMA access via WiFi would still inflict extra charges on your bill (while having the mobile network unchecked)??????
    03-23-11 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD