I have recently purchased a Bold 9780 which I came from a Torch so I was wondering what is the latest and official release for the OS and BBM? Are they OS .448 and BBM 5.0.1.49? Please hook me up with further updates as I am totally new to 9780 starting yesterday.
    03-11-11 04:45 PM
    The latest is 480 that comes bundled with BBM 5.0.1.49, it is the most stable OS so far for the 9780. Good battery life, very snappy, no bugs. Been using it for a while now! it made me feel like I got a new BB honestly!

Download the Operating System from the below link:

http://www.multiupload.com/M9GF7JZC70

Make sure you create a backup using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager before you perform the below! Close it after the backup is done!

Instructions For Installation:

1) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.

2) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

OR to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files (x86) >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader (if you have a 64-Bit Windows Operating System)

3) Delete the file named vendor.xml

4) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port

5) Run loader.exe

6) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy.
    03-11-11 04:52 PM
    Sweet! Thank you for everything, Matrix. You're such a great helper though I'm asking you for a favor, if you can.

I am currently running on .285 which comes up with the phone already so what am asking is, could you tell me the bug fixes, the new features and everything else that comes up within this .480 all over from .285 release? I hope there is no more bugs in this .480 as I am really worried. I'd like to run a safe and stable OS release, you know.

Also, I thought the latest official OS is .448 as it says in the sticky thread? Isn't the .480 a leaked release or what? I don't know but I don't feel like safe having a leaked version on my phone.
    Last edited by Nabooy; 03-11-11 at 08:27 PM.
    03-11-11 08:14 PM
    Sweet! Thank you for everything, Matrix. You're such a great helper though I'm asking you for a favor, if you can.

I am currently running on .285 which comes up with the phone already so what am asking is, could you tell me the bug fixes, the new features and everything else that comes up within this .480 all over from .285 release? I hope there is no more bugs in this .480 as I am really worried. I'd like to run a safe and stable OS release, you know.

Also, I thought the latest official OS is .448 as it says in the sticky thread? Isn't the .480 a leaked release or what? I don't know but I don't feel like safe having a leaked version on my phone.

1) 480 is much much snappier than 285, you will notice the difference as soon as you start using it and will think that you have bought a new phone (not just a placebo effect this time)

2) 285 has a bug in the browser where randomally, you will have the cursor hidden, and when you move the trackpad up and down, the page just scrolls up and down. This bug has been fixed in 480.

3) BlackBerry Messenger hidden cursor now appears by default in 480. 285 didn't have the bug where it disappeared, but 448 and some other leaks have it. so 480 is cleaned out from all the bugs.

4) Scrolling through BBM contacts is much smoother now with no lag.

5) when I bought my phone, it came with 285. So I did not want to upgrade immediately, thought I'll try it and see how it is first, guess what? the moment I launch the camera the phone freezed, until I had to hold the BB Menu button to choose a different application end ultimately had to do a battery pull. But still no luck, it was full of bugs I am really surprised how anyone could use it for more than one day.

6) Column View is back in 480

Hope this helps you out bro
    03-12-11 12:47 AM
    Not sure why we need a whole separate thread asking about Sticky thread, which seems to cover the topic - except to say the same in both threads.

This is really simple. No idea why so many posts, none saying what to actually do.

1. The new release is out. Load your Desktop Manager. Tether 9780.
    2. The way you know the new release is out is, from Home Screen :
    (a) Press BB key
    (b) Press Open Tray selection
    (c) Slide Trackball to wrench Options
    (d) Press Trackball
    (e) Slide Trackball to Device
    (f) Press Trackball
    (g) Slide Trackball to Software Updates
    (h) Press Trackball
    (i) Press Update your software with Trackball Press
    3. After 45 minutes, you will be asked to let the apps have access say yes to all. How simple is that ?
    4. (a) - (e) above again. Then press About Device Versions. It will read v6.0.0.448

If you think you know more about software than the manufacturer and than your carrier, and need someone to hold your hand to keep up-to-date on the current OS6 release bundle, please continue with questions about why you should stay current.

If you love not having Column View and think it is some waste of time, or too simple - then, by all means please continue to post posts picking up mid-stream in what you do to install v6.0.0.448 and link us to some site where you get something that no one knows how to install it.

If you don't keep track of what your logins and passwords are in March 2011, whose fault is that that a major release of the product you rely upon everywhere you go, requires that you must login and type your password 1 time per app ? How many apps require you to sign in on your device ?

When you open your standard BlackBerry 9780 Browser now, with Bundle 1879 v6.0.0.448, you can double-click in an open area on the WebPages, and it will provide you simple, Press the Space Bar, viewing of properly rendered WebPages and you will be able to read the Internet with your BlackBerry Bold 9780 as you did on your OS5 with Column View on your 9700. This still does not work on all WebPages, like the 9700 OS5 Column View.

1. Is there a column view option as described by so many users ? If there is, how exactly is it accessed to set it as default as on the 9700 OS5 where I can read the Internet please on this device ?
    2. Where did all the other applications go to on my BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.1 that were there ?
    3. How do I actually delete some junk software items on my BB, not just hide the icons ?

If you posted to this thread that Column View is added back in in .448, why didn't you go ahead and list what exactly you did to turn it on on your BB ?
    03-12-11 03:58 AM
    1) 480 is much much snappier than 285, you will notice the difference as soon as you start using it and will think that you have bought a new phone (not just a placebo effect this time)

2) 285 has a bug in the browser where randomally, you will have the cursor hidden, and when you move the trackpad up and down, the page just scrolls up and down. This bug has been fixed in 480.

3) BlackBerry Messenger hidden cursor now appears by default in 480. 285 didn't have the bug where it disappeared, but 448 and some other leaks have it. so 480 is cleaned out from all the bugs.

4) Scrolling through BBM contacts is much smoother now with no lag.

5) when I bought my phone, it came with 285. So I did not want to upgrade immediately, thought I'll try it and see how it is first, guess what? the moment I launch the camera the phone freezed, until I had to hold the BB Menu button to choose a different application end ultimately had to do a battery pull. But still no luck, it was full of bugs I am really surprised how anyone could use it for more than one day.

6) Column View is back in 480

Hope this helps you out bro
    Alright, I guess I'll be updating to .480 right away. But do you think it's safe to have a leaked OS on a newly device? It won't cause any problems since it's not an official release? You still haven't answered to my question.

Column View? What is that anyway?
    03-12-11 09:03 AM
    Alright, I guess I'll be updating to .480 right away. But do you think it's safe to have a leaked OS on a newly device? It won't cause any problems since it's not an official release? You still haven't answered to my question.

Column View? What is that anyway?
    It is safe, don't think that leaked is missing anything an official has, it's just the RIM releases a new OS to the carriers, some of them choose to test it, some of them choose not to, when the carrier finishes all their testing, they declare an OS as (Official) but it would be the same files. You don't need to worry since I and many users have tested it and majority of us have reported that it is stable and is the best OS released for the 9780 actually till now.

Column view, I dont know how to explain it really, but it makes viewing webpages on your BB much better, I really don't know how to elaborate more about this online

Good luck, let us know your results
    03-12-11 09:30 AM
    Alright, will do.

By the way, I'm sorry to ask this stupid question but is it okay to switch off my device while doing the update? Because I would be getting a lot of calls during the update which I do not want it interrupted while performing it.
    03-12-11 12:12 PM
    I have .294 which was pre installed on the phone when I got it, my question is can I use the update listed above? My phone is from the uk. Also I checked to see if any updates are avaliable through the handset and it said that it was up to date..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-11 01:14 PM
    Alright, will do.

By the way, I'm sorry to ask this stupid question but is it okay to switch off my device while doing the update? Because I would be getting a lot of calls during the update which I do not want it interrupted while performing it.
    Yes it is ok to switch off the radio signal, not the device as it has to be on do the upgrade
    03-12-11 01:40 PM
    I have .294 which was pre installed on the phone when I got it, my question is can I use the update listed above? My phone is from the uk. Also I checked to see if any updates are avaliable through the handset and it said that it was up to date..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes these instructions are for any 9780 from any carrier
    03-12-11 01:42 PM
    I have upgraded to .480 finally while my device was switched off (I guess there was no problem with that) and I gotta say I'm pretty much impressed with the results. Though the dial screen got a new change as well, not just the browser thumbnail thingy. Not bad at all.
    03-12-11 05:47 PM
    hi

i have .294 installed in my bold. how can i update the software using mac? thanks
    03-12-11 08:18 PM
    hi

i have .294 installed in my bold. how can i update the software using mac? thanks
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac - Full Tutorial

This might be of use.
    03-12-11 08:54 PM
    Thank you.

BTW, how long will it take to update?
    03-12-11 10:53 PM
    I just noticed there is no Arabic language for this release. How do I get it then?
    03-13-11 02:22 PM
    Arabic files for OS 6

http://www.multiupload.com/CNLK34IMWI

Copy them to this folder before running apploader to install your OS:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9780Asia_v6.0.0.480_P6.5.0.153\Java

03-13-11 02:26 PM
    Or you might be to add it via the BlackBerry Desktop Manager after you copy them to that folder.
    03-13-11 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the files!

There's just one more thing I noticed also. Sometimes the Arabic language/font gets a bit smaller than it was already whenever I do a battery pull automatically. It really annoys me whenever I get a broadcast message from people. I can't really read properly because of the text size being too small. My current font size for my device is 6. See for yourself and you'll know what I mean. Is there a way to make it 7 just for the Arabic language? Any way to make the font size a bit bigger?

I need serious help on this one please!
    Last edited by Nabooy; 03-13-11 at 02:54 PM.
    03-13-11 02:46 PM
    Oh God this is so annoying! I can barely even read properly. I even had this same issue with my previous 9700.

Matrix, I'm begging you, please help me out here!
    03-13-11 05:09 PM
    OS updates can range from 15-90 minutes on windows. No idea if doing it on a Mac has any effect on the time it takes.
    03-13-11 05:42 PM
    did this update fix the text message issue? where everytime you open a text to read it starts either at the top or at the middle of your current conversation and you have to scroll all the way down each time?
    03-14-11 12:28 AM
    Oh God this is so annoying! I can barely even read properly. I even had this same issue with my previous 9700.

Matrix, I'm begging you, please help me out here!
    I really don't understand why some users are not getting arabic...

I downloaded the leaked version of 480....

then I wiped my device completeley with BBSAK

when I installed the OS on the computer, I chose United Arab Emirates as the country...

then when I install the OS, I get Arabic in the options to choose from.
    03-14-11 12:53 AM
    Sorry man I tried alot and wasn't able to figure it out. Last thing is I tried installing it through the BlackBerry Desktop Manager then my phone got stuck loading the files...then when I rebooted it it got stuck, even safe mode wouldn't work.

I will go home in 2 hours and I will wipe my device using BBSAK, then install a clean OS 480, it comes with ARABIC listed n the options, just make sure you select your country as United Arab Emirates while installing it, and make sure you dont have any other OS installed on your PC
    03-14-11 07:40 AM
    see....I just installed 480 after a complete wipe, so I know i didnt have arabic previously as i have no other os on my system, i even did a shrink and removed all the languages except arabic and i got arabic in the options upon instlalation

03-14-11 10:29 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD