I have tried two different OS6s, with the last one being 6.0.448 and it absolutely sucks. It hangs up when you unlock the phone and you can't do ANYTHING for 10-15 seconds and this is every time, even after battery pulls. I keep getting low memory warnings, and low app space warnings despite having the same apps installed on OS5. OS5 is so lightning fast and I see no benefit to using OS6 on the 9700. Maybe those with the 9780s have a different experience, but I really don't see how this OS can be officially released by carriers for the 9700 if it runs like poo.

OS5 here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    03-10-11 11:20 PM
    mine works fine. i have around 60mb free. how much did u shrink ur OS?
    03-10-11 11:29 PM
    Obvoiusly OS 5 is gonna be better for a 9700 due to its smaller size.

On the 9780 though with 512 MB, after having like 30 apps / themes installed, I still ahve 270 MB free and I would never go back to OS 5.

The best thing to do before you install OS 6 on a 9700 is to shrink the OS, makes a big difference.
    03-10-11 11:36 PM
    You have too much on your phone man. I've got about 50mb free app mem and near 100mb file free. I hate the OS myself, but it's nothing near that bad. You just have a lot of apps and unless you can do some major reconstruction and trimming o fat, you're right, OS5 there you should go. Personally, I would be happier back on it as well, but I'm stickin' it out on .448 'cause I'm trying to be with the times and not get left behind. Terrible excuse I know and it's actually more due to the fact that I really don't want to go through the hassle of downgrading.
    03-10-11 11:39 PM
    Meh.. OS6 is so quirky though.. for example.. with OS5, I can access programs I want quickly by scrolling to it. With OS6, the home row of 6 icons sometimes scrolls to favorites or recent then I have to scroll back or hit the END button to find my way back to my 6 default programs. Then changing sound profiles used to be done by scrolling all the way up, now it's a little tiny icon on the left upper side which you have to delicately scroll to. It's just not as user friendly but does have some cool features like universal search... I just don't think it was a well thought out effort by rim. Hopefully OS7 is better.

And no I didn't shrink the OS... I tried that before and it never worked... maybe I'll try that later on but OS5 is loading as we speak and its too much work...
    03-10-11 11:41 PM
    Meh.. OS6 is so quirky though.. for example.. with OS5, I can access programs I want quickly by scrolling to it. With OS6, the home row of 6 icons sometimes scrolls to favorites or recent then I have to scroll back or hit the END button to find my way back to my 6 default programs. Then changing sound profiles used to be done by scrolling all the way up, now it's a little tiny icon on the left upper side which you have to delicately scroll to. It's just not as user friendly but does have some cool features like universal search... I just don't think it was a well thought out effort by rim. Hopefully OS7 is better.

And no I didn't shrink the OS... I tried that before and it never worked... maybe I'll try that later on but OS5 is loading as we speak and its too much work...
    Dude... download a theme, this fixes that stupid and horrific excuse for a UI that comes stock on OS6. No more frequent, favorites, media, and all tabs, it's just like it was with OS5 with many. Peruse the forums man, there's tons of options! Again, sound profiles icon changes with themes...

Take some time man, don't be so impetuous... like me! ;D LOL!
    03-10-11 11:47 PM
    You should shrink it OP. Although I have to say, even when I didn't shrink it, I never had the freeze issues you have. OS 5 is awesome too though, so enjoy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-11 12:16 AM
    Dude... download a theme, this fixes that stupid and horrific excuse for a UI that comes stock on OS6. No more frequent, favorites, media, and all tabs, it's just like it was with OS5 with many. Peruse the forums man, there's tons of options! Again, sound profiles icon changes with themes...

Take some time man, don't be so impetuous... like me! ;D LOL!

Very true! And this is the best FREE theme for All BOLD devices on OS 6

http://forums.crackberry.com/f227/si...s-free-580066/
    03-11-11 01:09 AM
    My 9700 ran fine with OS6 and didn't hang up much at all. The only issue I had was that the browser would close when a "page was too lage" but even that didn't happen too much. Sorry for your luck
    03-11-11 01:16 AM
    Well it runs ok to my 9700 as well, however except the fact that i have much fewer space for application installation, i recently notice that it freezes some times for 40-60 seconds which makes my phone not able to work!
    So i come up to the question, since we have these kind of performance issues on 9700, what is the point of having OS6, except the browser? I dont see any other benefits..
    03-11-11 01:40 AM
    It's unfortunate that you're having so many problems, but you could probably fix many, if not all, by shrinking your OS, as others have noted. You can free up a lot of space by doing that, allowing your BB to run much more smoothly. Maybe even give a hybrid a try; that's all I've been using for almost a year and they easily beat out leaks and officials in terms of efficiency and performance. I've got about 20 apps and currently sitting around 85MB at any given time, and the memory leak on this hybrid is extremely negligible; I may lose as little as 3MB a day with normal usage.

As for accessing things like sound profiles or application management, I don't even scroll to them anymore. Just use Universal Search. With the time it takes to try to nail that little speak and click, you could just type "sou" and it'll already show up as a result. It might need a little help from its user, but the 9700 is perfectly capable of running OS6.
    03-11-11 02:42 AM
    I find it capable too, however i dont really see the point on losing in performance just to have universal search!
    03-11-11 03:27 AM
    I find it capable too, however i dont really see the point on losing in performance just to have universal search!
    +1. Browser performanxe is nice but actually the browser under 5 worked ok. I'm also downgrading. If I can't have the apps I want, no matter how often I use them, then what is the point? Plus my battery went from charge every 2 days to run out of juice late at night.

Just not worth it.

03-11-11 05:49 AM
    the issue i have is that the social feed icon doesn't show , i can find it nowhere and i find it strange , anyone having the same issue ?
    03-11-11 06:49 AM
    Early version of BB6 for 9700 sucked pretty badly, and I did revert to 5 for awhile. .448 was not bad, but .461 is leaner and a lot more stable. My 9700 runs it quite nicely. Average battery discharge rate is around 4.4%, and that's including playing a lot of Addictive Tower Defense, which is a battery-chewer.

I shrank to about 50.2MB on PC before installing. I have 81.6 MB free after a reboot with the following installed:

• BBM
    • BBM Groups
    • VAD
    • VVM
    • Password Keeper
    • BatteryEx
    • BeWeather Free
    • bb_meter
    • BeamExplorer File Manager
    • BB AppWorld
    • CB SuperStore
    • SmartWifi
    • FancyCharacters
    • Google Maps
    • Font Collection
    • OTA Downloader
    • Poynt
    • QuickLaunch
    • SocialScope
    • WhatsApp
    • TBL Launcher
    • TypeIt
    • Addictive Tower Defense
    • Word Mole
    • Xploding Boxes
    • BrickBreaker
    • Jumbles
    • Leebo theme 1.7.0.2 (weather, hidden today, big clock)
      • This is a great theme for BB6 on the 9700. It removes all the trays, is very wallpaper-friendly, has zero homescreen icons except for the weather slot, which you can toggle on/off (you can get Leebo without a weather slot, too). There are a brazillion variations to choose from.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f176/fr...os-6-a-580283/
    Last edited by rrrebo; 03-11-11 at 09:19 AM.
    wu-wei and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-11-11 09:12 AM
    the issue i have is that the social feed icon doesn't show , i can find it nowhere and i find it strange , anyone having the same issue ?
    Check that you even installed it. By default, Social Feeds is not selected in AppLoader when upgrading your OS. You have to click it yourself.

03-11-11 12:41 PM
    What I still can't stand about OS6 is that the universal search is always so slow to respond and it always misses either the first letter, the second letter, the third letter, or a combination of two of the first three typed when using. Incompetent is putting it very kindly!
    03-11-11 06:18 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've been running OS6 since the 1st leak and the latest update has fixed all the problems I've had except for the cursor not showing when scrolling through BBM messages....and that's not even that big of a deal.
    03-11-11 08:46 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've been running OS6 since the 1st leak and the latest update has fixed all the problems I've had except for the cursor not showing when scrolling through BBM messages....and that's not even that big of a deal.
    I don't use BBM, but somewhere on the forums it was revealed to have been fixed not with an OS update but a new BBM version you could download separately.
    03-11-11 09:32 PM
    Most people have reported that the BBM cursor has been fixed since .461 and for sure with .499

03-11-11 09:48 PM
    Haven't had those issues and I'm one of those that didn't shrink the OS. Have about a dozen or so apps installed too, memory hovering around 35-45mb throughout the day.

If you're getting locked up for 40-60 seconds I would seriously look at what you installed. Remove them one at a time until you find the culprit.

03-11-11 11:25 PM
    You have too much on your phone man. I've got about 50mb free app mem and near 100mb file free. I hate the OS myself, but it's nothing near that bad. You just have a lot of apps and unless you can do some major reconstruction and trimming o fat, you're right, OS5 there you should go. Personally, I would be happier back on it as well, but I'm stickin' it out on .448 'cause I'm trying to be with the times and not get left behind. Terrible excuse I know and it's actually more due to the fact that I really don't want to go through the hassle of downgrading.
    03-11-11 11:29 PM

Likewise, I even am using the hybrid OS 6.0.0.461 on my  9700 now.
    Running smoothly and just love it!
    No such issues and no problem at all besides the closing of second tab browser due to limitations of RAM.

The cursor problem was fixed in the latest version of  ввм� 5.0.1.49

Last edited by Mashimaro8000; 03-12-11 at 12:57 PM.
    03-12-11 12:53 PM
    I'm not sure why you seem to be having such bad luck. OS6 works like a charm on my 9700.
    03-12-11 04:06 PM
    i'm going to come here when i get my 9700 in the mail. if it comes with OS6 I'm def going back to OS5!

is that a hard process?
    03-12-11 05:43 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD