As we all wait for the all important release date info, the piece I am particurally interested in (and concerned about) is battery life. The concern was heightened by the ipad 2 and its 10+ hours of battery life. While I am not expecting 10 hours out of the PlayBook, if it requires a series of compromises to screen brightness, "multi-tasking" etc to eek out 5 - 6 hours of useful life per charge then my decision is made for me and I go ipad 2. While both units have their obvious strengths and weaknesses the simple truth is, if the unit won't keep up with an honest days heavy use, it will not be worth its asking price - whatever that may be. Of course how ironic, if Blackberry has spent the past 3 months shoving the same "all singing-all dancing" video's at us boasting of the processing power etc only to have us need to negate that very feature to get through a day - that my friends would be an ultimate FAIL. And before you flame me I suffered for years with the Storm 1 and moved briefly to Android but returned with a bold due to - battery life issues on the droid incredible. I am not an Apple fanboy but at the same time if I am going to shell out $600+, the damn thing better last a day...
    03-10-11 04:59 PM
    the battery in the PB is 5400 mah and the Xoom is 32xx and can get 10 hours easy. I have to believe the PB is going to get much more than 10 even of general use
    03-10-11 05:21 PM
    Boy, you really sound angry O_o.. They have stated many times that the battery life will be "competitive on today's tablets" my guess is that itll last around 8-10 Hours on a single charge with small web usage and whatnot.

But oh well.. Thats one of the many crucial information that RIM should give us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 05:23 PM
    And if it does, I'm buying 2 - one for the Mrs... If not I'm probably buying one for me and an ipad2 for her that I can use when the PlayBook runs out of juice
    03-10-11 05:23 PM
    the battery in the PB is 5400 mah and the Xoom is 32xx and can get 10 hours easy. I have to believe the PB is going to get much more than 10 even of general use
    Xoom has 2 x 3250 mAH (6500 mAH) battery
    03-10-11 06:09 PM
    Yea but the xoom has a larger screen to have to power.
    That should be an advantage of the playbook.

03-10-11 06:34 PM
    Are people still harping on the battery life? C"mon...think about it...they are marketing it as a professional tablet...the heart of the engineering would center around battery life...why would you provide a mobile computing platform that only gives the user half a days use...you'd be plesantly suprised that QNX neutriono's archtecture revolves around POWER MANAGEMENT!

Embedded devices are their specialty...and given their history...they have deployed the OS in many devices (embedded devices) that do infact run on a battery and carry a much more taxing resource load then any tablet could be relative to...

Heavy multi-tasking...heavy flash use etc may appear to be a red flag...but due to QNX's architechure....it runs very efficiently and actually puts less tax on the hardware then other OS's doing less work overalll....remember....Energy=Work

What appears to be extremely work intensive is being conducted ultra efficient, with neutrio only requesting acsess and passing through what it needs...with no extra bagage!

And since it doesn't lump unnescessary resources through the cpu, it actually gives the cpu an approximate 30% performance boost....so an 1ghz cpu in reality has the performance of a 1.3 ghz cpu....Shaw Wu is an analyst that was at the heart of this poor battery life propoganda....he needs his "lil red wagon fixed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRRRRR!!!! .......lol

Hopefully someone with more depth of insight can further expand on my Power management claims in QNX vs them( Apple,Google,windowks) which are very are inneficient os's which BB OS on HH's are cuurently(unfortunately) a part of ....soon to change! QNX bring it on baby!

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-10-11 at 07:05 PM.
    03-10-11 06:57 PM
    Hopefully someone with more depth of insight can
    further expand on my Power management claims in
    QNX vs them( Apple,Google,windowks) which are
    very are inneficient os's which BB OS on HH's are
    cuurently(unfortunately) a part of ....soon to change!
    QNX bring it on baby!
    Yea yea yea enough flowers have been bought for this thing that RIM could have its own nursery.

Enough with all the trumpet and fanfare, RIM needs to show us and quit telling us.

03-10-11 07:06 PM
    Yea yea yea enough flowers have been bought for this thing that RIM could have its own nursery.

Enough with all the trumpet and fanfare, RIM needs to show us and quit telling us.

What's wrong with requesting some input from somone well versed in computer sciences to expand on this?

Qnx's resource management efficiency is coomon knowledge.

P.s. Shame on you for the arrogance in your post!...................same goes for me the times I have been too!lol

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-10-11 at 07:28 PM.
    03-10-11 07:18 PM
    Bro, take a deep breath - yes its probably gonna be late. Yes we all want to see it in person.....but you really need to let this go. WOOOOOOSAAAH WOOOOOOSAHHHHHHH.
    03-10-11 07:23 PM
    if that were remotely true rimm would be shouting it from the rooftops. they aren't. they change the subject.
    03-10-11 07:25 PM
    What's wrong with requesting some input from somone well versed in computer sciences to expand on this?

Qnx's resource management efficiency is coomon knowledge.

P.s. Shame on you for the arrogance in your post!

way too premature to be touting PB battery life. It's still pretty much vapor until we get some real world reviews out for it.
    03-10-11 07:27 PM
    if that were remotely true rimm would be shouting it from the rooftops. they aren't. they change the subject.
    As pointed out its actually 2 batteries. So that makes a huge diffence lol
    03-10-11 07:30 PM
    They have only teased us with cpabilities that are relative to many platforms(which out perform the cometition by a large exent).....If I were them I would keep all the gems of the product on the hush....so when they hold a release/media event they can just pound out shock and aww capabilities in auto-fire sequence.....you know they are gonna just lay it on thick ! Lol....I have a hunch they are gonna make ios look like a bunch of "window lickers".....that right - went there!

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-10-11 at 07:38 PM.
    03-10-11 07:36 PM
    way too premature to be touting PB battery life. It's still pretty much vapor until we get some real world reviews out for it.
    Where is the real world?
    03-10-11 08:05 PM
    Where is the real world?
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-10-11 08:10 PM
    I have faith in the battery life in the PlayBook.

I'm worried about my Torch's battery life when I tether to it. I know I'm constantly going to have to charge the damn thing because battery life sucks as is.

PS: I love the Real World :P

03-10-11 08:22 PM
    They have only teased us with cpabilities that are relative to many platforms(which out perform the cometition by a large exent).....If I were them I would keep all the gems of the product on the hush....so when they hold a release/media event they can just pound out shock and aww capabilities in auto-fire sequence.....you know they are gonna just lay it on thick ! Lol....I have a hunch they are gonna make ios look like a bunch of "window lickers".....that right - went there!

Have you been smoking something, you are not serious. Disappointment is going to run rampant when (if) this is ever released. It will be no more or any less than anything else out there.
    03-10-11 09:04 PM
    Have you been smoking something, you are not serious. Disappointment is going to run rampant when (if) this is ever released. It will be no more or any less than anything else out there.
    The os supprts more then anything else out there....the technology is more advanced then anything else out there...the platform structure is unlike anything else out there....ex. To affirm my enthusiasm is a take from SAP's CIO, when other tablets were brought into the mix at a presentation he clearly set the playbook above others...he had a sheer aww in his tone and a look of astonishment in his eyes...that made a huge impact for me...and I didn't appreciate the , "when(if) this is ever released" ....negativety and arrogance doesn't serve anyone on the forum well.....and really only lessens and detours our collective state...which is being a bb enthusiast....I'm a pratical person....I see the dots that are being connected and being forged in the future....this is a product that will be in a league of it's own

For us enthusiasts that see clearly and pay attention to the input of those in the industy that matter....have stated the platform is in a league of it's own.....with unprecedented capabilities! What I'm smoking is the reality of what's to come!
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-10-11 at 09:52 PM.
    03-10-11 09:43 PM
    I'm not one to complain much but doesn't it seem like blackberry batteries keep getting weaker by the year? My curve 3g is constantly dying but my old curve 8330 needed one full charge and lasted almost a day and 1/2.

03-10-11 09:52 PM
    I think you're the one who's been smoking something there. Disappoint will run rampant from everyone who bought a tablet and then demos a PlayBook.
    03-10-11 09:53 PM
    ...and I didn't appreciate the , "when(if) this is ever released" ....negativety and arrogance doesn't serve anyone on the forum well.....
    Amen to that. EVERY thread turns into a "when" or "if" thread.
    03-10-11 10:05 PM
    I'm not one to complain much but doesn't it seem like blackberry batteries keep getting weaker by the year? My curve 3g is constantly dying but my old curve 8330 needed one full charge and lasted almost a day and 1/2.

turn off your gps. battery last 3x longer
    03-10-11 10:21 PM
    turn off your gps. battery last 3x longer
    Don't make fun of me, but how do I turn gps off? Lol

03-10-11 10:24 PM
    Don't make fun of me, but how do I turn gps off? Lol

hahha too funny!

Options-> Advanced Options-> GPS-> Change Location On to E911 only (OS 5.0-)

I would also advise:

*Turn background brightness to 10
    *Lowest screen shutoff time
    *BB Sleeve with sleep mode
    rexxenex likes this.
    03-10-11 10:26 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD