The idea behind Breaking News is a widget-like scrolling ticker on your home screen that displays your favourite RSS feeds.

There are many configurable options including:
    • Ticker border colour
    • Text colour and size
    • Ticker location speed
    • Up to 5 user customizable RSS feeds
    • Automatically uses Wifi if available
    • Battery safe! Won't drain your battery, goes to sleep when not on your home screen or when your backlight is off.

Some things Im looking for:
    • Does a specific RSS feed not work?
    • Does the ticker appear in places it shouldnt?
    • When leaving feedback please include your Device Model and OS version.

I also have to give a special thanks to Bellshare for helping out with some code and to CrackBerry Kevin for coming up with the name

Requirements: OS 5.0 or above

UPDATE March 10th - How to add a Twitter Feed: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/ope...0/#post6122104

UPDATE MARCH 11th - Addition notes on new build: BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com - View Single Post - [Open Beta] BreakingNews - Scrolling news widget for your home screen

UPDATE MARCH 12th - Addition notes on new build: BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com - View Single Post - [Open Beta] BreakingNews - Scrolling news widget for your home screen

UPDATE MARCH 14th - Addition notes on new build: BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com - View Single Post - [Open Beta] BreakingNews - Scrolling news widget for your home screen

Download

April 8th - 1.12
    - Bug Fixes

April 4th - 1.10
    - Enabled the trial expiration, so most of you will have your copy expired. When you go into the app it will tell you your activation code, just enter that in. Just need to test that it is work.

March 31st - 1.07
    - Fix for those having the app not start

March 31st - 1.07
    - Bug Fixes!

March 23rd - 1.04
    • password screen fix
    • other small fixes

March 22nd - 1.04
    • new "setup wizard"
    • changed double click END key on homescreen, now pops up a list of all rss items with the current item highlighted
    • fixed password screen at boot up flickering (hopefully! but maybe not, still have to do more testing, just increase the startup delay for now)
    • other smaller fixes

March 20th - 1.02
    • Lag fix

March 19th - 1.01
    • Updated UI
    • Added "log" to advanced tab for diagnostics
    • Fix for feeds not updating
    • On home screen double click End Key (tap twice), will launch article in web browser
    • On home screen holding ESC key will skip to begging of current article in ticker, if near the beginning of the scroll will scroll to previous article
    • There is something in this build that may cause some OSs to lag, it will be resolved next build tomorrow.
    • Note: Still working on white "flash" that occurs when opening an app off the home screen.

March 17th - 0.99
    • Added option to delay start up after reboot
    • Fix for password screen on start up
    • Fix for bedside mode
    • Other smaller fixes

March 16th - 0.98
    -Bug fixes/optimizations
    -Added option to show ticker on clock/bedside mode

March 14th - 0.95
    • Couple bug fixes, didn't have a lot of time tonight so more tomorrow.

March 13th - 0.94
    • Optimization build, focus on this one is making things smoother and faster. Bug fixes tomorrow.

March 12th - 0.93
    • Added transparency option "Clear"
    • Added backup/restore settings to SDCard (in menu)
    • If you enter in a location larger than your device height, will automatically appear at bottom, also applies to rotating from portrait to landscape
    • Improved support for 3rd party themes
    • Code optimizations

March 11th - 0.92
    • Support for international characters
    • Fix for blank ticker showing
    • Fixed areas where ticker would show up where it shouldnt (ie over menus)
    • New loading screen which attempts to learn your homescreen layout
    • Option to show/hide border
    • Option to show/hide rss icon in ticker
    • Other bug fixes

March 10th – 0.89 First Public Build
    http://wap.shao-soft.com/shao/Ticker.jad

03-10-11 09:37 AM
    Thanks Shao - giving it a try.
    03-10-11 09:50 AM
    Looks cool Shao going to try it out
    03-10-11 09:54 AM
    Wow, you're the man!! Looks great and works perfect on my torch. Question: why does it sometimes hide away when I move the trackpad? Is this supposed to be like this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 10:02 AM
    Very nice. But could you give an option or just flat our remove the Orange RSS icon, I don't see the point in having it there, just takes up space and spoils the flow of the ticker.
    03-10-11 10:02 AM
    So far I like this application. One thing I am noticing is that when opening an email account or an application from the home screen it takes a second to remove the banner. It is a noticeable lag on this function.

I am running a 9650 Bold OS 6.0.0.415.
    03-10-11 10:04 AM
    Good idea and looks good on my 9550, running 5.0.0.1015
    Not bad Shao, not bad at all!!!

Can't wait to try this out. Will report back...
    great application shao as always will test now and tell you how it goes
    03-10-11 10:06 AM
    Sweet. I'm going to give this a try.

03-10-11 10:06 AM
    This is a great tool to have. The only thing is its still shows the ticker when tray is open. Also, adding a weather display will be awesome.

03-10-11 10:28 AM
    Just a quick update based on a message I just received and something I hadn't thought of, you can also add Twitter feeds!

Visit the persons Twitter through your web browser (on computer), then click on the RSS Feed link, enter the URL it takes you to into BreakingNews, and you're done.

03-10-11 10:30 AM
    from main menu clicking bb icon button to go in options on os 6 the ticker is all time on even if I go from there to change wallpaper in gallery browsing try pictures the ticker is still on. BUT its's very good.

Using Bold 9700 os6 461
    03-10-11 10:37 AM
    Wow, you're the man!! Looks great and works perfect on my torch. Question: why does it sometimes hide away when I move the trackpad? Is this supposed to be like this?

Which field are you moving it over? Notification field it will hide because if you drop down your notifications you'd want it gone. And since you're a dev you'll understand why it is that way
    03-10-11 10:40 AM
    from main menu clicking bb icon button to go in options on os 6 the ticker is all time on even if I go from there to change wallpaper in gallery browsing try pictures the ticker is still on. BUT its's very good.

Using Bold 9700 os6 461
    Click ShutDown in the app, then restart it by clicking the icon (or just batt pull) and let me know if it works then. Thanks.
    03-10-11 10:41 AM
    I am loading this up bro!

Will keep in touch with any issues.
    03-10-11 10:44 AM
    amigo pero tambien pide registrarse con el code de activacion
    03-10-11 10:47 AM
    in addition to the refresh and save button: if someone forgets to hit this button and exits out of the app maybe have a popup box "Changes Made: Save, Discard, Cancel"

Really enjoying the widget
    03-10-11 10:48 AM
    Hello thank you for your app. Just installed on my Torch running os .448 in french network. Installation was smooth. The position is perfect and the refresh works well. Still testing it. Brillant idea

03-10-11 10:48 AM
    amigo y el codigo q pide para registrase
    03-10-11 10:49 AM
    Runs great on my torch, my only comment would be that it would be nice if the feed scroll was hotlinked back to the source article....
    ecrouch77 likes this.
    03-10-11 10:50 AM
    The app is working gr8 till now, but i wanted to ask does this application work on tcp/ip or does it need BIS
    03-10-11 10:54 AM
    Hello thank you for your app. Just installed on my Torch running os .448 in french network. Installation was smooth. The position is perfect and the refresh works well. Still testing it. Brillant idea

Edit : regarding the french alphabet with accentuation like � or � it doesn't' work and I see some strange characters like @ instead

03-10-11 10:57 AM
    The application is cool. I love it. Works well on my Curve 8520.
    Question: what is the essence of the registration? I thought it is free for now! Pls advice. Thanks for the good job.

03-10-11 11:01 AM
855 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD