Hi, I have a blackberry curve 9300 which I updated to OS 6 just recently and I lost the feature to dial from the home screen which i do a lot faster rather than having to search or type the name of the person. Please help tnx
    03-06-11 12:45 AM
    Two ways on how you can dial quickly.
    1. Press the call button start typing the number.
    2. On the home-screen type the number then scroll down a tiny bit to where the letters are now numbers, then press call.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    allen999 likes this.
    03-06-11 03:35 AM
    1. Press the call button start typing the number.
    2. On the home-screen type the number then scroll down a tiny bit to where the letters are now numbers, then press call.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not trying to hijack but I have the same problem and option #2 that you posted here does not work for me. The first button press does absolutely nothing and I never get the option to scroll down to dial the number. Option #1 works fine but I would rather do it the other way.
    04-13-11 10:00 AM
    No need to scroll, just pressing call is enough
    04-13-11 10:12 PM
    No need to scroll, just pressing call is enough
    Thanks, that one works but I like the other way better. How do I get it back?
    04-14-11 08:40 PM
    Your advice was very helpful on #1 but on the #2 dialing from the homescreen. How do you all even see the numbers?
    So far Im not impressed with the new OS. I had the previous OS and could 1. see numbers large enough when dialing from the home screen, 2. access most areas with one click vs a two or three step process, 3. see my wall paper pictures clearly without the black back drop under the icons. Anyway of getting rid of those?
    Thanks
    04-15-11 01:33 AM
    Your advice was very helpful on #1 but on the #2 dialing from the homescreen. How do you all even see the numbers?
    So far Im not impressed with the new OS. I had the previous OS and could 1. see numbers large enough when dialing from the home screen, 2. access most areas with one click vs a two or three step process, 3. see my wall paper pictures clearly without the black back drop under the icons. Anyway of getting rid of those?
    Thanks
    If you are on OS 6 just start pressing the keys with the numbers. It will appear the universal search and the letters of corresponding keys will be shown in universal search box, while the same time, exactly below the universal search box, are shown the numbers corresponding to the keys you press.
    When finish pressing the keys, the ones corresponding to the number you like to dial, you don't need to scroll down to the numbers, just press call button and will get connected.
    04-15-11 02:42 AM
    Thanks, that one works but I like the other way better. How do I get it back?
    What other way you refer to?
    04-15-11 02:44 AM
    If you are on OS 6 just start pressing the keys with the numbers. It will appear the universal search and the letters of corresponding keys will be shown in universal search box, while the same time, exactly below the universal search box, are shown the numbers corresponding to the keys you press.
    When finish pressing the keys, the ones corresponding to the number you like to dial, you don't need to scroll down to the numbers, just press call button and will get connected.
    mtint, this is the way that does not work for me. Usually the first press of a button does nothing and the second one brings up the memo app. I have been through all of the setting many times and cant find any option related to the universal search. I suspect this is the issue here. Some setting not set right somewhere.
    04-15-11 10:39 AM
    mtint, this is the way that does not work for me. Usually the first press of a button does nothing and the second one brings up the memo app. I have been through all of the setting many times and cant find any option related to the universal search. I suspect this is the issue here. Some setting not set right somewhere.
    Go in the options and change the option to use universal search instead of keyboard shortcut, cant remember where it is so... (try bb button -> options, but not sure then...)
    04-15-11 12:47 PM
    I found that when I switched my basic theme to the CB theme I lost this feature.

I ended up switching my theme back because I use this feature very often and it's a pain to hit the call button first then start dialing the numbers IMO.

HTH!
    04-15-11 01:57 PM
    When you use a custom theme probably you will lose part of the universal search functionality with respect to dialing from home screen.
    With all custom themes I have used, to be able to do such a dial, at first I need to press space and then pressing the numbers - they appear just bellow the search box. Otherwise the first button you press wouldn't be recognized as a number.

It could be the problem to be in the settings, if you use the stock theme, just check your settings as Jgodin03 suggests.
    04-15-11 09:59 PM
    Go in the options and change the option to use universal search instead of keyboard shortcut, cant remember where it is so... (try bb button -> options, but not sure then...)
    You are a Blackberry Genius!

That fixed it.
    04-30-11 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD