I thought I would start a discussion on the differences (pros/cons) between Blackberry Protect and some of the other Apps that have been around for a while:
    -Wheres My Phone Pro
    -SmrtGuard
    -BuddyGuard
    -Others

I've been using Wheres My Phone Pro (WMP) for about a year. No issues at all. Everytime I've checked/tested....all works great. It's upgradeded a couple of times with a few new features at no cost. Purchase cost was about $3 bucks.........but.......there have been no upgrade or recurring costs.

Please provide any useful feature comparisons that you are aware of. Thanks!!
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-05-11 at 10:32 PM.
    03-05-11 12:38 PM
    I havent used any of those other services but BB protect seems to work perfectly for free so I dont see a reason to used anything else.
    03-05-11 01:05 PM
    I have buddyguard pro. I deleted it on installing Protect lol.
    The one thing BG Pro has over Protect is that you can do all the protect things from another cell phone, whereas you need a PC for Protect to work.
    03-05-11 03:16 PM
    Since the full version of Wheres My Phone Pro is only $3.99.......cost is not really any issue. BuddyGuard is in the same boat. For SmrtGuard.......the cost is much greater and involves an annual subscription ($39.99).

Initial observations........WMP vs BB Protect

Wheres My Phone
    - Pro...can control phone from any email or SMS
    - Pro...password protected options/settings
    - Pro...SIM card change notification
    - Pro...remote listening
    - Con....phone sends you lat/long coordinates (not an immediate map view)
    - Con...only provides contact info backup....not other files
    (no OTA backup/restore of any)

BB Protect
    - Pro.....Provides a map view of phone location
    - Pro.....Can backup and restore data/files OTA
    (not limited to contact info)
    - Con....Requires online/web interface control
    (not bad......but more efficient with SMS or email)
    - Con....No password protection for options/settings

Other than that they seem to provide the basic functions of
    - Locking the device
    - Allowing functions to help locate lost/stolen phone
    - etc.

I have not downloaded BB Protect yet.......but I plan to try it out and add to the above comparison.
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-07-11 at 10:13 PM.
    Guatiao likes this.
    03-05-11 06:17 PM
    I use and really like Buddy Guard Pro. It has worked flawlessly on my Style. I didn't realize BB Protect had to be controlled via a PC. I like that I can borrow a phone to lock mine if lost (or send an alert which also locks it, etc) and not have to hunt down a PC. Right now, I see no reason to switch to BB Protect.
    03-05-11 06:24 PM
    Since the full version of Wheres My Phone Pro is only $3.99.......cost is not really any issue. BodyGuard is in the same boat. For SmrtGuard.......the cost is much greater and involves an annual subscription ($39.99).

Initial observations........WMP vs BB Protect

Wheres My Phone
    - Pro...can control phone from any email or SMS
    - Con....no wipe feature
    - Con....phone sends you lat/long coordinates
    - Con...only provides contact info backup....not other files
    (no OTA backup/restore of any)

BB Protect
    - Pro.....Provides a map view of phone location
    - Pro.....Can backup and restore file OTA
    (not limited to contact info)
    - Con....Requires online/web interface control
    (not bad......but more efficient with SMS or email)

Other than that they seem to provide the basic functions of
    - Locking the device
    - Allowing functions to help locate lost/stolen phone
    - etc.

I have not downloaded BB Protect yet.......but I plan to try it out and add to the above comparison.
    wheres my phone can indeed remote erase and disable your phone
    enter [code] DISABLE and you will be sent the one time command codes
    03-05-11 06:48 PM
    wheres my phone can indeed remote erase and disable your phone
    enter [code] DISABLE and you will be sent the one time command codes
    You are right.......I just went back and looked over the Command Reference.....I will edit my above post. Thanks!!
    03-05-11 10:26 PM
    I was using Smrtguard free version before. The only 2 things it has over Protect is the Remote Listening (so you can hear what's around your phone) and SIM Guardian (which notifies you if another SIM card is put into your phone). That being said, the remote backup feature wasn't included, and you could only get it with the paid version.
    03-06-11 12:00 AM
    Great info on both apps guys thanks.
    Quick question. I am running BB protect, everytime my data backs up does it go through the BIS network? Or is my wireless provided raping me on data fees? (i have unlimited BIS services(browsing(through bb browser),messengers, ect) Thanks guys
    03-17-11 10:13 AM
    Not an expert.........but I will answer at the risk of getting hammered.

The way I understand it.........anything you do (email, browsing, apps exchanging online data, etc.) all goes through BIS unless your are connected via WiFi. It is the only data/internet communication link on your phone (unless you connect via WiFi). If you have unlimited BIS service..............there should be no additional fees.

Apparently that has something to do with who has BBProtect available. Some users with limited BIS service........are not able to access/use BBProtect.
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-17-11 at 10:37 AM.
    03-17-11 10:34 AM
    Not an expert.........but I will answer at the risk of getting hammered.

The way I understand it.........anything you do (email, browsing, apps exchanging online data, etc.) all goes through BIS unless your are connected via WiFi. It is the only data/internet communication link on your phone. If you have unlimited BIS service..............there should be no additional fees.

Apparently that has something to do with who has BBProtect available. Some users with limited BIS service........are not able to access/use BBProtect.
    Thing is, there is a difference between BIS and WAP. For example I have unlimited BIS but yet I cant watch youtube videos on it because that requires additional data. If I do watch a youtube or any other streaming media I get charged seperatly through my carrier. Some apps do go through BIS, however some run through the TCP/ip therefore you get charged for that because it goes through the carrier.

Atleast this is my current understanding on it. Can anyone shed some light?
    I had read somewhere that ALL BB apps released by BB themselves run through their BIS. Thanks guys!
    03-17-11 10:38 AM
    TTT Any insight?
    03-23-11 09:00 AM
    Bringing this thread back from the dead........

Some interesting points on BB Protect....... now it has a feature to prevent it from being deleted. 5 Reasons Why You Should Use BlackBerry Protect �Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

I wonder if that prevents it from being "uninstalled" or if (some how) it also prevents it from being wiped via DM, BBSAK, BBBOSS, etc. Curious here.

So.... WMP will notify you on a SIM Card change so you can control the phone with the new number.

BB Protect has a feature to prevent the app from being uninstalled or wiped (not sure which).

They are both availabe and working on 7.0/7.1
    02-29-12 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD