Hey cbs,
    I just got my first bb, (9300) and I was wondering.
    An OS at its a core is an interface between hardware and user. So, like a laptop/pc, there could be a possibility of switcing OSs.
    Not only bbs running on androids...but htcs on bb os6 and all.

I do realize some hardware (camera,screen,keys etc) might stop responding, the kind of experts I have seen at cb will be sure to find a workaround.

Since I'm fairly new to bb's (and don't wanna brick my 1st one only ), any willing to experiment with this and post?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 01:31 PM
    not gonna happen. blackberry hardware is "SO" tied into the software that even the same os from two different devices will not work the same. the only way around that is to get some reverse engineering software directly from RIM. and if you get a hold of that software, expect a knock at your door from RIM's lawyers.
    03-04-11 03:00 PM
    But still, noo matter how 'tied' it is, it is ultimately an installed file on phone's memory. That's why it pops up in the application manager. If you can delete appworld,bbm etd I'm sure this is (atleast theoretically a possibility)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 10:40 PM
    "Theoretically" is the key word here.
    Off course, how detailed and practical is your theory is another issue.

Very broadly speaking, yes its possible given infinite resources and access to everything that RIM & Google have.

But practically, its difficult to even build a hybrid from RIM's own OS's leave apart from another OS.

Besides, unlike PCs which are all x86 based, ARM devices are quite different from one another. Think of it as the earlier MACs (non intel) where it would be very impractical to run windows (unless you got the source to edit & compile ! - and the resources and knowledge to do that)

So, short answer remains - NOOOO
    03-05-11 12:42 AM
    I'll echo the above poster, and tell you it's just not going to happen. Like njaremka stated, BlackBerries are much too tied to their own OSes. If no one could get BlackBerry's own OS6 to port from the 9650 to the 9700 back when it was unavailable for the 9700 and they are incredibly similar phones, what hope would you have of porting over an OS from an entirely different developer, with entirely different capabilities and features?

And if by some miracle you do manage to pull it off, expect RIM and Google lawyers to knock on your door.
    03-05-11 12:55 AM
    Not possible, you'd have to really reverse engineer the BB hardware and find out all the system calls, how the hardware works etc...plus OS code is digitally signed, meaning anything that's NOT official RIM soft'ware won't even be loaded by the processor
    03-09-11 11:46 PM

And if by some miracle you do manage to pull it off, expect RIM and Google lawyers to knock on your door.
    Why would 'Google Lawyers' be knocking at someone's door?

Last time I checked Android was open source...
    03-10-11 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD