Just recently my phone has been dying within or less than 8 hours of pulling it off the charger. This has just happened recently and this is just when Im at work and I have it in my holster, still manages to die. Does the storm2 have a battery known for a short life span? Ive had it for about a year. One other thing that i've noticed recently along with the battery is that sometime when I am typing or navigating my phone will lag, and then a small icon shows in the middle of the screen for a few seconds, sort of like an hourglass sort of thing. Could this be related?

also if I were to buy a new battery which would you recommend?
    Thanks in advanced for your help
    03-04-11 06:24 AM
    The hourglass is a timer meaning "wait, I'm busy" check to make sure you don't have an app or two running in the background. Some are notorious for continually checking network availability and updating something. Weather apps or social apps in particular.

Hold the BB key to get a list of open apps, if there are any, open them and use the BB menu to close them completely. The only ones that should always be open are the BB core apps for email, phone, browser, homescreen and bb messenger.
    03-04-11 06:44 AM
    Sean,

That's really weird, I have been having the exact same issues over the last few weeks or couple months. Some days my battery discharges really quickly and the battery gets erally warm and the only way I have found to fix it is a battery pull. Even Quickpull doesn't work, I have to actually pull the battery out and then the phone seems to work fine for a few days and then it starts all over again.

I have also noticed that my phone lags frequently but not all the time, doing normal stuff, like checking email, etc. It will just pause like it is locked up.

I tried re-installing the os (I'm using version 517) with apps, I have tried deleting most of my apps, and I have called VZW tech support, but all they told me was to do *228 and check some settings and watch it for a few days. Unfortunately nothing has worked. I'm thinking of installing version 1015 with no apps to see if this will fix it.
    03-04-11 04:30 PM
    Thanks for the tips dking, the solitaire app I have was open along with others and it had rotating internet applications so that was hopefully it.
    skm67, I would just take the phone into a local shop, I hear Verizon is pretty good with customer service. Wish Telus was...
    03-04-11 05:32 PM
    Wifi can also drain a battery quickly. If you're not using it, shut it off. I listen to Sirius on my S2 at work, so I keep mine on but keep the phone plugged in.

If your phone is constantly switching from 3G to non-3G service (3G to 1X for instance) that'll zap the battery also.
    03-07-11 10:02 AM
    Yeah for the last month my battery was giving me major problems. I even bought a new battery and am still having difficulties. Called in for a replacement to be sent, hopefully it will work.,
    03-14-11 12:20 PM
    I was having the same issue as well. Now there are certaing apps that might contribute to the battery being drain quickly. Having wi-fi/gps will also drain your battery. I downloaded two apps that helps alot with your problem. 1- battery Save-free 2- memory booster. works like a sharm.
    03-15-11 07:26 AM
    what i found that helped was certain apps, google lattitude for one is a massive battery killer, but certain apps will kill the battery if they constantly use data.
    so what i did was bought a second battery and a stand alone battery only charger, i wear my battery down till its almost dead, put the battery in the charger and use my spare till the other one is completely charged, its kinda like reconditioning the battery. i generally can get 2 days out of the phone but never really test it . always goes into the cradle every night. even though you may turn the power off to the phone at night, doesnt mean it fully powers off, just goes into a sleep state
    03-15-11 08:19 AM
    The battery has a year lifespan. Go to amazon or ebay ...just 5 dollars.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-11 02:20 PM
    I re-installed the os (v517) with apps but still had problems, so I did a clean install of the latest OS (v1015) with no apps, but that gave me different errors, so I went back to the original OS (v320) and installed that with no apps and that seemed to work fine, but I was not happy with that OS way back when I got this phone, so I decided to try v517 again, which is what I have been using all this time, but installed it with no apps and so far it is working great, though it has only been a few days. I added a handful of essential apps and it is still working with no lag and no rapid battery drain.

I think the key was NOT doing the backup and restore after installing the OS and not installing any apps, but adding them after the OS was finished.

Of course, you will want to backup any info you have on your phone and then transfer it back after everything is done installing.

Hope that helps!
    03-25-11 05:11 PM
    Not everyone has good luck with 1015 and not everyone has good luck withprior OS. But as was stated a battery has about a year life span if that. My battery life on current OS is great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 06:06 PM
    I re-installed the os (v517) with apps but still had problems, so I did a clean install of the latest OS (v1015) with no apps, but that gave me different errors, so I went back to the original OS (v320) and installed that with no apps and that seemed to work fine, but I was not happy with that OS way back when I got this phone, so I decided to try v517 again, which is what I have been using all this time, but installed it with no apps and so far it is working great, though it has only been a few days. I added a handful of essential apps and it is still working with no lag and no rapid battery drain.

I think the key was NOT doing the backup and restore after installing the OS and not installing any apps, but adding them after the OS was finished.

Of course, you will want to backup any info you have on your phone and then transfer it back after everything is done installing.

Hope that helps!
    this is the key to the best performance and battery life. do not restore old data and start new
    03-26-11 06:12 PM
    Looks like I spoke too soon, after a few days, I was seeing the same problems with rapid battery drain and lag, so I contacted Verizon again and they sent me a replacement. The first replacement unit had issues with the screen. The lower left was much more sensitive than the upper right and it also registered multiple clicks sometimes when I pressed on the screen. So I requested another replacement and this one seems to be working great! As good or better than my original. OS v1015 has been giving me issues to sync my contacts, so I installed OS v517 (which I had been using for quite some time on my original unit) and everything is working great!
    04-12-11 03:36 PM
    As for battery issues some have mentioned, I think the fault was with the phone, not the battery. My battery is working fine and lasting about a day and a half on a charge, just as it was before the phone started having issues. Verizon replaced the phone but not the battery. However the battery is about a year old now, so I will keep an eye on it.
    04-12-11 03:43 PM
    I'm going to ask here because I'm having the same issue, so please excuse my for the thread jacking

Same issue, battery draining really quick WHILE talking, no weather apps or weird stuff running in the background. Bought a new battery, issue still there, so I'm done.

NOW, my question .... I have a back up of all my data, most important thing is my contacts and calendar (business use), I need to know how can I port all this data to a NON blackberry device ? Should I expect compatibility issues ?

Or just pluggin' my actual SIM card into another phone will make that data available to me ?

Sorry for the basic questions but phones is not something I'm really into, hence my knowledge about them is pretty basic

thanks a lot for the help
    04-13-11 08:52 PM

Or just pluggin' my actual SIM card into another phone will make that data available to me ?

Sorry for the basic questions but phones is not something I'm really into, hence my knowledge about them is pretty basic

thanks a lot for the help
    My ex was famous for leaving his phone in his pants when I did laundry or when he would throw his clothes in. He also ran over his phone, buried it in a hole, dropped it in concrete and a horse tried to eat it. Point being is that whoever your carrier is if they have a store near you, the stores can swap data from one SIM to another. Just ask. If there's a cell phone repair shop nearby, they can do it too.
    04-14-11 09:39 AM
    I appreciate your reply, but maybe I didn't make myself clear.

Let's say I don't want to keep my Storm, nor any other BB device, so I go an buy another phone ( i.e iPhone) now the key question ...

I have a back up with all my contacts and calendar from my BB, can I moved that info to the new phone with no compatibility issues or just placing the SIM card (assuming all the info IS still there) in this new phone is enough to have my contacts and calendar available for me again?

Not sure if I made this even more confusing

thanks for your help with this issue
    04-14-11 05:33 PM
    If you have outlook on your computer, I would sync your phone with that and from there you can transfer your contacts, calender, tasks, and memos to another phone.
    04-14-11 08:39 PM
    I have had similar battery drain issues on a few occasions too. What has worked for me (every time) is to remove the battery for 2-3 hours. Once I put it back in the battery worked as is has from day one. My girlfriend has had the same issue with her bold on occasion and this method has worked for her too. I hope this helps.
    04-15-11 02:07 PM
    I have had similar battery drain issues on a few occasions too. What has worked for me (every time) is to remove the battery for 2-3 hours. Once I put it back in the battery worked as is has from day one. My girlfriend has had the same issue with her bold on occasion and this method has worked for her too. I hope this helps.

Well, seems odd , but I'm willing to give it a try.
    How often do you have to do this? Or, even better, how long this trick "works" before the phone start to act weird again?

thanks again
    04-15-11 05:30 PM
    left battery out overnight and it just turn itself of while making a call due to low battery. I can actually see the battery indicator going down and a weird static noise can be heard if you're on a call when is about to shut itself.

Maybe I should get another phone, Nokias look nice.
    04-16-11 04:28 PM
    ^Maybe you could try charging the battery. It's probably worth the effort.
    04-17-11 06:23 AM
    Looks like I spoke too soon again! I have had the new phone for over a week and now it is also having the same issues of rapid battery drain and lag.

So I am thinking it has to be an app, so I deleted all the apps I installed except Quickpull and Blackberry Protect. I even deleted some apps that were on the phone to begin with but were updated recently like Bing and Facebook. It really sucks not having my apps on the phone!!!

I'm going to use the phone for the next week without the apps and see if it is ok and if it is, I will add one app back per week to find out which app is the bad one.

I still do not think the battery is the problem. When it drains quickly, I feel it getting really warm on the back, but not in the area where the battery is, but just below there where the sim card and the micro sd card are.
    04-21-11 04:30 PM
    Yes, heaven forbid we have weather or social networking apps open on our phones.

Oh dear RIM
    04-28-11 09:06 PM
    what i found that helped was certain apps, google lattitude for one is a massive battery killer, but certain apps will kill the battery if they constantly use data.
    so what i did was bought a second battery and a stand alone battery only charger, i wear my battery down till its almost dead, put the battery in the charger and use my spare till the other one is completely charged, its kinda like reconditioning the battery. i generally can get 2 days out of the phone but never really test it . always goes into the cradle every night. even though you may turn the power off to the phone at night, doesnt mean it fully powers off, just goes into a sleep state
    You might want to read this How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries – Battery University and this Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life | TechRepublic
    05-07-11 08:47 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD