I gave my mom a BB Curve 3G. She is on a prepaid account. She was using the internet and listening to iheartradio in the kitchen with no problem. Despite having wifi turned on, her credit ran out despite not making calls.

1) If wifi is turned on, does apps and internet automatically use wifi rather than data? How do i make it prioritize wifi over data for mom?
    2) If prepaid account is 0 dollars, does Iheartradio not work?

We have wifi all over the house and the supermarket and malls here. I dont think she really needs a data plan because she uses the internet on the bb for leisure only.
    Thanks for help.
    Franco
    02-28-11 09:20 PM
    When I bought my Curve 3G at first, it was running OS5 and at that time the same issue had happened to me too, but later on I understood my browser was set on the Internet Browser and NOT on the WiFi Browser. I assume your mom is running OS5 as well and is unaware of this option. It always shows to the right hand side top of your screen whether your browser is on WiFi or Internet, If you go to options in your browser, there is a option where you can change switch from Internet Browser to WiFi Browser temporarily ( For that session alone ) or if you want there is a advanced options menu in the same options menu where you can set it permanently ( Of course you can change it later on ). Try doing this and let me know if it works. I assume it is the same for iheartradio, I haven't used that app but every other app that I've used internet for on OS5, It shows which internet connection it is using towards the right top of the screen ( I've noticed this only in OS5, I think ) So basically if you set your browser to WiFi browser permanently, It will use the WiFi connection for the apps which needs internet connection. I used OS5 for just 4 days so i don't remember very well, but I guess this is the issue! Well, It doesn't hurt to try does it? :P

Good Luck!

Regards!
    Last edited by marvelfredo; 03-01-11 at 02:10 AM.
    franco1975 likes this.
    03-01-11 02:08 AM
    Hi Marvel,
    Thank you for the reply. It came with OS 6 but I downgraded it to OS 5 because a friend has OS5 so it makes it easier for her to teach my mom since they would be looking at the same screen layout.
    I've changed the browser to 'hotspot browser' and now internet is using wifi only. Is this what you were saying when you mentioned ' wifi browser'?
    I spoke to my local BB dealership about the radio apps and they said, the radio apps need to download initial config files using 'data' then i can turn wifi on and use wifi to continue streaming over wifi as long as I don turn the radio apps off. But if I close the radio app and restart, the app need to access data again to download configuration files again then I can use wifi to continue listening to the apps . Config files are not sent over wifi due to security issues. They said, some apps can run off wifi alone and some like the radio apps are 'data & wifi'. The BB dealership mentioned that I could have just let the phone be on OS6 because OS 6 will automatically download config files via data then move to wifi if wifi is available. Wifi is given priority over data in OS6 if wifi is turned on. I tested it and iheartradio and tunein radio worked if i allowed it access to data then it would move to wifi when wifi is turned on.
    Hope other can benefit from this.
    Franco
    Thanks.
    Last edited by franco1975; 03-01-11 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Correcting typos. Mental note: dont type with feet ...
    ericz and marvelfredo like this.
    03-01-11 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD