I'm wondering if RIM will ever catch up on their technology. It looks like HTC already has a 4G phone coming shortly through Verizon. The new HTC Thunderbolt.
    02-28-11 01:11 PM
    I'm wondering if RIM will ever catch up on their technology. It looks like HTC already has a 4G phone coming shortly through Verizon. The new HTC Thunderbolt.
    yep after they figure out how to get more than a few hours of usage out of it apparently.
    02-28-11 01:13 PM
    I know I'm going to sound like a @$$ for saying this, but, do we have to go through this topic AGAIN? Search this forum, you will see lots of posts asking the same question.
    branflakes likes this.
    02-28-11 01:18 PM
    02-28-11 01:22 PM
    I know I'm going to sound like a @$$ for saying this, but, do we have to go through this topic AGAIN? Search this forum, you will see lots of posts asking the same question.
    Agreed. This is neither news nor rumor, just more troll bait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-11 01:22 PM
    There's already a firmware leak for battery life that should come out around March 10th.
    02-28-11 01:35 PM
    There's already a firmware leak for battery life that should come out around March 10th.
    Sounds good, let us know how it is!
    02-28-11 01:43 PM
    Agreed. This is neither news nor rumor, just more troll bait.

Looks like you were right, lol

gee what a shock.....this guy calls someone a troll......the real answer is, RIM will not "catch up" until the QNX devices come out 1.5 years from now.
    02-28-11 01:46 PM
    I'd wait for QNX. The new BBs coming out have much better hardware than they do now, but still run BB OS. If you do not like BB OS, you will most likely not like the new devices.
    02-28-11 01:52 PM
    Firmware can't help that the fact that the design of the phone requires it to run two radios all the time when 4G is being used. One radio for the LTE data, and one radio for the CDMA voice. Just a **** poor implementation/gimmick/compromise IMHO instead of waiting for VoLTE to come to fruition. Its how Sprint does their 4G too, but its still no where near an optimal design no matter who is implementing it.
    sf49ers likes this.
    02-28-11 04:44 PM
    No, never. RIM should just hang it up now.
    02-28-11 05:43 PM
    RIM is number 1 in the UK. Don't think just because they aren't selling 2.4 billion smartphones a nanosecond in the US that they are doomed. People have been predicting RIM's demise for the last 6 or so years now. They're still doing well. I think they CAN catch up.
    Fatoomah likes this.
    02-28-11 06:44 PM
    if we get enough people to say "no" will you go away?
    02-28-11 07:00 PM
    In my opinion RIM doesnt need to catch up... What should they need to catch up to? Horrible battery life? Security disasters? Crappy hardware? I work as a Sprint rep and all I deal with all day is buggy android phones that people either download crap on that ruins their device, or they talk about how much they miss their blackberry. None of my customers that have 4G devices even use the 4G radio because it causes their battery life to go from bad to dismal. This flood of android will not last. Most of the manufacturers are pumping out cheap hardware and they are selling the heck out of them because every 14 year old wants an android phone. Samsung and Motorola make pretty good devices but the rest are just junk.
    02-28-11 07:39 PM
    WGAS

10 char
    02-28-11 07:41 PM
    RIM is not about "catching up", they're all about going "steady".

It's like that boring relationship where the girl wants to take things to the next level but the guy just wants to keep things "steady". Why trouble the waters? Everything is going fine....
    02-28-11 08:00 PM
    The fact is rim may be behind is hardware specs, but the phones are reliable as all get up. That includes the bugs and all. I know what to expect from my phone each day I wake up and use the **** out of it each day. My friend and coworker has a D2 which seems like a nice enough phone, but it seems he does more battery pulls than I do on my storm. Half the time his GPS cannot locate him, his phone locks up, and his media becomes unrecognizable for some reason. My storm may not be near as fast but it does all these tasks without fail.

02-28-11 08:26 PM
    in 2013, RIM has a chance to be the worlds business leader and also the leader in the consumer market. Until then, they are concentrating on emerging business markets like india and china. The VP of RIM has stated this. Until 2013, we will only see OS upgrades like 6.1 and qnx which is another version of 6.0, only faster due to how the OS is set up......which willl be a good thing but still behind the competition.
    qnx another version of os6? please tell me your joking. it's a completely different os and RIM's os of the future.. and where does the VP of RIM say 2013 is the year, and the year for what? QNX is the next best thing for them.
    02-28-11 09:33 PM
    No RIM will never catch up.

It is a fact they wait until the rest of the market has or exceeds what they have. The Playbook is a perfect example. The rest of the products are outdated as far as electronic standards go as soon they are brought into the market. If not then just give it two months. They alienate developers with high fees. Their tech support is horrible. It's not a question of when they will get back to you but if they ever get back to you.
    02-28-11 10:14 PM
    its funny...the guy calling everyone trolls just trolls around calling people trolls...hahahhaah
    I agree troll.

03-01-11 05:19 AM
    Why does everyone think RIM's aim is to be like the iPhone or Android? Hello RIM has been the smart phone leader since the 90's. Their core market isn't people who want video games and high-def movies. Its the power user who needs a reliable and secure communication device. While adding media and a better browser is a great move I didn't buy my 9700 or my 9800 for that. I bought it because I'm always doing stuff and require a way to keep in contact.

I'll be happy when new QNX based bb's are out but only as long as what RIM does best isn't sacrificed.

03-01-11 06:35 AM
    In my opinion RIM doesnt need to catch up... What should they need to catch up to? Horrible battery life? Security disasters? Crappy hardware?
    Security disasters? Please name some of these "disasters" which have befouled the Android/iPhone platform. Is there widespread bank info hacking occuring? Identity theft? Contact info being stolen and contacts being spammed with texts? (Oh wait..that's RIM and JaredCo..nvm).

And crappy hardware? You're right..RIM doesn't need to catch up there..they've been leading the pack for 2 years in that category.
    03-01-11 08:17 AM
    My friend and coworker has a D2 which seems like a nice enough phone, but it seems he does more battery pulls than I do on my storm. Half the time his GPS cannot locate him, his phone locks up, and his media becomes unrecognizable for some reason. My storm may not be near as fast but it does all these tasks without fail.
    I'm guessing if your friend is doing that many battery pulls..then he doesn't really know much about his phone or the platform. Battery pulls are rarely needed or advised. A simple reboot is all that is ever needed. And besides..he could probably pull the battery 10 times and still not equal the amount of time it takes to pull your Storm battery once..
    howarmat likes this.
    03-01-11 08:22 AM
    I'm guessing if your friend is doing that many battery pulls..then he doesn't really know much about his phone or the platform. Battery pulls are rarely needed or advised. A simple reboot is all that is ever needed. And besides..he could probably pull the battery 10 times and still not equal the amount of time it takes to pull your Storm battery once..
    tru that! that sht got old!
    03-01-11 08:25 AM
    Security disasters? Please name some of these "disasters" which have befouled the Android/iPhone platform. Is there widespread bank info hacking occuring? Identity theft? Contact info being stolen and contacts being spammed with texts? (Oh wait..that's RIM and JaredCo..nvm).

And crappy hardware? You're right..RIM doesn't need to catch up there..they've been leading the pack for 2 years in that category.
    Android has the most critical vulnerabilities. iphone can be hacked in 6 minutes by jail breaking.

Just because *you* haven't heard about any "disasters" doesn't mean they have never happened on any platform.

Having a critical vulernability is not the same as installing an application that might send your contact information, with your permission, to some server somewhere.

As far as hardware, I agree RIM needs to up the ante, but that is already in the works.
    03-01-11 08:27 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD