I'm looking at the desire hd and I had a blackberry before. Will an htc support push email from my aol email account?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-11 03:08 PM
    I don't believe it does. You may want to consider creating a gmail account and having your AOL email account set up to forward to the gmail.
    02-26-11 03:23 PM
    Ok well that's leads me to more questions. 1) can I get my aol email at all? I.e fetch or would I have to go to mobile site? And 2) if i had to forward them to a gmail could I directly reply from aol email? Sorry but I'm new to android world.

02-26-11 03:45 PM
    I can't speak for AOL..but im using MailDroid for my Hotmail and Pop3 work account and they come in blazing fast..sitting in front of my work computer I'll get a work email on my phone faster than I will on my laptop. I tried running both accounts thru a Gmail account for "push"..but I found a lot of my hotmail emails wouldn't come thru..so I gave it up.

I'm going to assume aol is like hotmail..and although you may not get true "push"..you will still be able to "fetch" incredibly fast imo
    02-26-11 03:55 PM
    Ok guys I'm gonna keep on asking questions. Since you guys are so helpful. I did like on my old bb how the light would blink but I could live with out that I guess. Will a red icon or similar appear over the email app when I have new emails etc? And with fetch must I manually go in and fetch them or can I set it do so every 15 mins or so?

02-26-11 04:03 PM
    Yes there will be indicators on your email & text messaging apps indicating messages are there. You can also set intervals to fetch mail
    02-26-11 04:12 PM
    What's the shortest interval you can set it to fetch I.e 5-10 minutes? And will this use significantly more battery power depending on how often you have it set?

02-26-11 04:21 PM
    5mins is the min for fetching I believe. It will use more battery than say 1/2 hour interval..but it shouldn't be overly taxing in any way. I have mine set to 5mins and don't really have any issues.

EDIT: On a sidenote..using MailDroid and set to 5min intervals..I seem to get them alot more regular than that. To me if I didn't know any better i'd think it was being pushed..simply because i'll get an email..check it..and then within a min or two i'll get another. It doesnt' seem to come in 5 min intervals but seems to come in irregular patterns (not irregular in a bad way..just doesn't seem to be on a time schedule)
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-26-11 at 04:42 PM.
    02-26-11 04:38 PM
    Also did i read somewhere that androids dont support notifications on Facebook or Twitter is this true.

I understand i sound like someone without a clue but tommorrow is judgement day and im going to stuck with a phone for 2 years so wanna make and informed decision.
    03-01-11 07:03 AM
    Also did i read somewhere that androids dont support notifications on Facebook or Twitter is this true.

I understand i sound like someone without a clue but tommorrow is judgement day and im going to stuck with a phone for 2 years so wanna make and informed decision.
    No problem man..if you got questions..ask away! As for the notifications..I know I get Twitter notifications..but i'm not overly familiar about Facebook. I know emails come in anytime someone makes a comment or something on it..but i'm not sure if that's the extent of it or not.

I will say though that Launcher Pro has a Friends widget that will keep updates of status changes and or tweets. The widget is awesome because you don't have to open anything up..it updates and you can just scroll thru and see whats happening. You can click on a Status and see any comments posted and/or post a comment yourself. Using this widget I don't even see the need for notifications..simply because it's always open and I can see for myself what's happening. I personally really enjoy it.

EDIT: I just realize your considering the HD..which has a FriendsStream widget built in (being HTC Sense and all)..this widget does the same thing as the Launcher PRo one..and looks a little better even.

Here's a Youtube "demo"

Last edited by Rickroller; 03-01-11 at 08:01 AM.
    03-01-11 07:53 AM
    I can't speak for AOL..but im using MailDroid for my Hotmail and Pop3 work account and they come in blazing fast..sitting in front of my work computer I'll get a work email on my phone faster than I will on my laptop. I tried running both accounts thru a Gmail account for "push"..but I found a lot of my hotmail emails wouldn't come thru..so I gave it up.

I'm going to assume aol is like hotmail..and although you may not get true "push"..you will still be able to "fetch" incredibly fast imo
    Why would you use MailDroid? Hotmail has true push..Exchange ActiveSync went up a while ago..you just have to manual set up your hotmail, even works with the stock Email app.

the only switch is

"domain/username: (blank)/[email protected]"

add the @hotmail.com

and "server: m.hotmail.com"

add the m. <--- remember the "."

That's it. Exchange push with contacts, calendars, etc. Completely killed using Gmail for anything ever for me.
    03-04-11 05:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD