I just upgraded my Verizon 9650 to OS6 via Desktop Manager. It went pretty smoothly. Mainly, though, I find that the upgrade did nothing for me.

I'm curious if anyone else actually feels that their lives have improved ruinning OS 6 on this device, and if so, why.

Here are the actual functional changes I have notice about the OS itself:
    • App icons are laid out in trays instead of one home screen
    • Apps fade in and out
    • Different ringtones

Other than that, here is what the two hours of OS upgrading, app re-registering and upgrading got me:
    • My battery life is the same (yippy!)
    • Signal strength is the same
    • Email: no functional changes
    • BBM (which I use heavily) and SMS: no functional changes
    • Contact management: no functional changes
    • All apps generally work ok, same as before (some had to be switched out for OS6 versions). There are some new annoyances introduced with the OS6 versions of some apps, but I won't get into those.

So far it looks to me like OS6 is basically a theme and not a new OS, one that was designed for touch devices. On my Bold 9650, the main effect of OS6 is to make me lean more heavily on QuickLaunch to get anything done. What am I missing? Is there some functional improvement I just haven't found yet and am not taking advantage of?
    02-25-11 11:55 AM
    Also the new browser is kind of cool, but it's neither slower nor faster than the old one, and speed is my only real issue with either. I know the webkit browser was billed as a major improvement in OS6, but it still takes 45 seconds to render a simple web page, which is what always made me avoid browsing on the BB.
    02-25-11 12:01 PM
    The webkit browser and universal search are my two favorite additions.
    02-25-11 12:04 PM
    I like the top banner functionality for options and connections. I like that the browser renders full web pages much more accurately which allows me to better access sites I couldn't before. I like that within any program I can start typing and it will find what I want without using the menu. It's essentially universal search but within each program. So if I am in options I just type "ap" and it pulls up application management for me. I like the fluid feel of the scrolling more. I also prefer the UI but obviously all of this is just preference as is any OS comparison on any platform. I liked OS 5 quite a bit too though so I think you should just use what you prefer.
    02-25-11 12:13 PM
    BB6 is smoother than OS 5. A couple of my favorites are universal search and tabbed browsing. If it takes your browser 45 seconds to render a page then something's wrong. The webkit browser is faster IMO.
    02-25-11 01:41 PM
    For me, I also like the UI. The browser is a tad faster, not by much, but for me it works better. And love the tabs!
    I also am digging universal search...
    It may seem that there is not much difference, but after awhile you get used to the little enhancements and won't want to go back.

Try it for a few days, and if you still feel there is no difference, than you have the option of downgrading back. It's all about user preference after all.
    02-25-11 02:03 PM
    None really for me. I upgraded cause it wanted to and what the heck.

I immediately went and installed a skin that returned it to an OS 5 look (none of those annoying trays!). I don't USE the browser on my phone so honestly don't notice a change there (it is still so annoyingly slow that I just use my iPad). The sounds changed, only thing I really notice.

Oh wait, on the call screen I have buttons to do things like turn on speaker phone instead of having to pull up a menu, that I actually really like.
    02-25-11 02:37 PM
    I love the Browser, and being able to put most contacted people on the home screen and/or favorites is also a plus.
    02-25-11 02:51 PM
    It took me awhile to decide which I liked better, 5 or 6. After some time using os-6, I now find it mundane and flat out boring to be back on 5, so six it is. I do understand the op's observations about 6 over 5 and vice versa. I don't disagree with any of it. It's just a personal preference thing . Use which ever works best for your own individual needs. At least you made the jump and saw for yourself, I hope you give it an adequate amount of time to evaluate it and get used to it before finally deciding. Also there are many tweaks to numerous to mention to help the browser as well as the overall operations of the os. Make sure you do not have java script enabled and keep your cache fairly well cleared and it will help browser speed alot. Ditto for os-5.
    02-25-11 02:54 PM
    I just upgraded my Verizon 9650 to OS6 via Desktop Manager. It went pretty smoothly. Mainly, though, I find that the upgrade did nothing for me.

I'm curious if anyone else actually feels that their lives have improved ruinning OS 6 on this device, and if so, why.

Here are the actual functional changes I have notice about the OS itself:
    • App icons are laid out in trays instead of one home screen
    • Apps fade in and out
    • Different ringtones

Other than that, here is what the two hours of OS upgrading, app re-registering and upgrading got me:
    • My battery life is the same (yippy!)
    • Signal strength is the same
    • Email: no functional changes
    • BBM (which I use heavily) and SMS: no functional changes
    • Contact management: no functional changes
    • All apps generally work ok, same as before (some had to be switched out for OS6 versions). There are some new annoyances introduced with the OS6 versions of some apps, but I won't get into those.

So far it looks to me like OS6 is basically a theme and not a new OS, one that was designed for touch devices. On my Bold 9650, the main effect of OS6 is to make me lean more heavily on QuickLaunch to get anything done. What am I missing? Is there some functional improvement I just haven't found yet and am not taking advantage of?
    You really think that the Contacts system is the same as OS5?
    02-25-11 02:55 PM
    I totally agree with the OP's remarks. Don't let others make you feel like you are wrong or just trying to start trouble. . . You are not wrong in the opinion of many of us. They should have a thread that keeps count of how many 9650 users have already jumped ship.

For those out there that just love their 9650 and just "love" their browsing experience . . .
    I think OS6 has rendered the browser just about useless.
    I'm tired of going to a web page and watching the blue checkerboard pattern take minutes while it finally renders an unreadable page. Even if a page finally comes up you have to go through the whole thing all over again on page two.

This could go down in the annals of smartphone history on how we stood by and were ripped off paying $29.95 a month for unlimited data. Yet one can't really use a lot of data . . . That's a laugh.

Oh, I'm way off on this, ya ya I know . . . then why have several of the 9650 moderators already jumped ship??? I noticed Crissy is on Android and is eying an iphone in another thread. Check out a few of these other regulars on this page like Yester and Nozzels:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/of...1/index47.html

I'm not touting an Android, I was just browsing other threads because I need to find another device and move on . . .

The Rim line is really sad on how fast they let other platforms zoom by them.
    I was checking out an investment symbol "FONE" which is a package of smartphone associated stocks. It mentioned that the smartphone's have almost doubled for consumers moving over to them, yet the market is only 25% penetrated to date!

It Boggles my mind how Rim let's others eat their lunch as users move to better and more up to date devices.

I'm not a fanboy of an Android or iphone yet . . . But I can't wait for some new devices to hit the market . . . As I searched for a device also check out this video that I came across comparing a Droid vs the 9650. Listen for the part where he is describing the 9650's browsing experience. I don't think he has an axe to grind against his 9650. His remarks are right on.

For all those out there that simply "love" the 9650's browser . . . if you are the last one out of this 9650 forum, please turn out the light .

For me it's really sad because BB's do email, messaging and phone so well. But the whole device is just so tired! I see others browsing the web now on other devices and I feel like I'm holding an old Motorola grey flip phone
    Last edited by expidia; 02-26-11 at 08:04 AM.
    02-25-11 07:39 PM
    People complain to much. If you don't like your phone..... Go somewhere else. Why sit here and debate the "pros and cons" of OS6. Plus these blackberry's are so customizeable you can put a crappy OS5 theme on to make you feel better. OS6 is why I didn't get an evo. The only down side of OS6 is crappy OS leaks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 10:15 AM
    The upgrade wasn't earth shattering for me either but I do like it better. At first it took me some time to get used to and I almost switched back, but I do like how easy things are now with it. My browser does seem a bit faster and easier to move around. I like how I can have a favorites and download option, I like how I can arrange my icons. I love the search feature and how it makes looking for things on my phone so fast and simple. Great feature. I like the new calender features and also the ring tones, although not much different I was sick of the same tone for everything for so long.

I'm very happy I made the switch, even though my phone freezes sometimes a little more, it's nothing a battery pull can't fix.

I also enjoy the pictures and how they are arranged now as well.
    02-27-11 02:57 PM

I immediately went and installed a skin that returned it to an OS 5 look (none of those annoying trays!). I don't USE the browser on my phone so honestly don't notice a change there (it is still so annoyingly slow that I just use my iPad). The sounds changed, only thing I really notice.

Oh wait, on the call screen I have buttons to do things like turn on speaker phone instead of having to pull up a menu, that I actually really like.
    Where can I get the skin that you refer to? I HATE those trays!
    02-28-11 12:50 AM
    Also the new browser is kind of cool, but it's neither slower nor faster than the old one, and speed is my only real issue with either. I know the webkit browser was billed as a major improvement in OS6, but it still takes 45 seconds to render a simple web page, which is what always made me avoid browsing on the BB.
    The new browser renders pages sooo much better than the old browser. I notice a much faster rendering as well.
    02-28-11 03:37 AM

Have to agree that the trays are extremely annoying. Could be a good thing but too many options to sort through when it's easier to just stay at the main tray to find what you want. Otherwise, I like the better Web browsing as WebKit seems to render non-mobile friendly sites much better.
    02-28-11 03:40 AM
    I actually like and use the trays. At least some of them. I think it would be great if we could choose how many and what kind of trays are displayed. I think it might coming in 6.1. At least the option to do away with the trays will be there.

Has anyone heard if the current 6.0 devices will run 6.1?

02-28-11 03:39 PM
    Where can I get the skin that you refer to? I HATE those trays!

I got "Pageless" for .99 and like it a lot.
    03-01-11 08:15 AM
    Universal search is the big new feature for me. It made me uninstall QuickLaunch. Other than US, the browser tabs are great. I'm not too big on the UI stuff. I guess the cover-flow in music is cool.

03-01-11 10:09 AM
    6.0 to me was a huge bust. Like the other posts here, i dont consider it a new OS, just a changed theme. This is a potential reason why the playbook may fail and the Bold touch may fail. The playbook runs qnx but is very similar to 6.0.....all we can do is hope for the best for these future devices or millions will leave for the droid platfom
    I havent seen any video of Playbook that looks like OS6, looks way more like webOS to me.
    03-01-11 10:45 AM
    For themes just go to the 9650 forum in the Themes forum. There are a bunch of OS6 themes now. Just make sure you are getting an OS6 theme, NOT an OS5 theme with OS6 ICONS.
    03-01-11 11:51 AM
    OK someone mentioned teh contacts being different? HOW? I still ge the same list, still start typing names and get t he same filtering, still enter and view contacts the same.... What the heck am I missing?
    03-01-11 11:52 AM
    Have to agree that the trays are extremely annoying. Could be a good thing but too many options to sort through when it's easier to just stay at the main tray to find what you want.
    What made a big difference in my happiness and "usability" with the trays was reading about and then seeing a CB blog video about doing a "hard" flick down on the trackpad to open any tray and also to do a double flick left or right (from any of your left-or-right-most icons) to get to the next tray. Now I almost never actually highlight the tray header bar to interact with anything in that tray and I don't need to hit the menu button to open it either. It also made accessing the icons in the Favorites and Media trays (which I use often) much faster and easier to access.

If you're not doing it already, give these a try to see if it helps your experience with the trays.
    wesware likes this.
    03-02-11 12:38 PM
    So far it looks to me like OS6 is basically a theme and not a new OS, one that was designed for touch devices.
    Good observation and good point. I guess that technically it's a new OS, but functionally it seems more like a new version of the User Interface. Maybe something to give us BB users more of the "screen swiping" feeling that people seem to like about touch screen devices.

I'm still debating about switching back to 5, but after a few weeks on 6 some of the new features and conveniences have kept me with 6. The jury is still out for me, though.
    03-02-11 12:43 PM
    What made a big difference in my happiness and "usability" with the trays was reading about and then seeing a CB blog video about doing a "hard" flick down on the trackpad to open any tray and also to do a double flick left or right (from any of your left-or-right-most icons) to get to the next tray. Now I almost never actually highlight the tray header bar to interact with anything in that tray and I don't need to hit the menu button to open it either. It also made accessing the icons in the Favorites and Media trays (which I use often) much faster and easier to access.

If you're not doing it already, give these a try to see if it helps your experience with the trays.
    Thanks for the tip. I will give this a whirl and let you know how it goes. Actually using my Storm 2 at the moment but will switch over to my 9650 soon (like to mix it up a bit).
    03-02-11 01:06 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD