Don't shoot the messenger people.
    but i find this an interesting read.
    Why aren't people buying the Verizon iPhone? | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews
    02-24-11 10:32 AM
    I think a fairer comparison will be with the new model...if it comes out at the same time for At&T and VZ.
    02-24-11 10:36 AM
    I think a fairer comparison will be with the new model...if it comes out at the same time for At&T and VZ.
    i agree with you on that one.
    and if Verizon will offer a cheaper data plan ala AT&T.
    But the real question is this June 2011. my gut tells me AT&T will probably get the next iphone first and after a few months, Big Red will release the CDMA version.
    02-24-11 10:42 AM
    I'm not too concerned with the sales of the vzw iP4, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. But I'm sure that still being in contract and the upcoming iP5 in June/July may have had an effect on sales (although a lot of people I know have no clue when the next iPhone will be released)...Anyway, I was lucky to have an upgrade available at the time the iPhone was released and even though I knew that there will be a new one coming in the summer, I just didn't want to wait any longer and took the plunge. I also think that the iP6, not the iP5, will be LTE capable which will allow me to upgrade to that in 2012. So, I think I made the right decision with going with the iP4 now and then have the ability to upgrade to the LTE version next year.
    02-24-11 11:11 AM
    Who cares what the news media are saying about the Verizon Iphone, it's still a killer phone. I would suggest you consider this example.......if 100 people walked into a Verizon Store right now with a free upgrade and looking at todays lineup, which phone do you think the majority will walk out with? I have brought this up with many people and we all agree that about 8 out of 10 would walk out with the Iphone. Also keep in mind that AT&T with so many tied into their contracts, will not lose out just yet. ETF's are expensive so this has to be considered for any carrier outside of Verizon.

In summary, the Iphone 4 is hot and Verizon users are buying them up. So what if they didn't sell a billion on opening day, they sold enough. I live in Southern Cal and I see loads of Verizon Iphones.
    02-24-11 06:14 PM
    Don't care about the sales. I finally have an iPhone that doesn't drops calls. I am happy.
    02-24-11 06:32 PM
    a TON of people are stuck in droid contracts at the moment, if the phone came to verizon earlier droid would not be as popular as it is. People got the droid looking for the next best thing to iphone.
    02-24-11 06:44 PM
    Why do people bring "free upgrade" in to their minds? It's definitely not free. But it is a decent phone. Sales have not been terrible, but could be better. I agree with the ETF's and ATT and the Droid contracts. Things may change, but I've talked to many people who like Android and what it can do and the customization of it.
    02-24-11 06:52 PM
    Funny how no one mentions, that many people are struggling to pay bills and doesn't feel financially secure enough to cash out more money (or pay ETF or pay full price), and to add to that, it's February, which is the deadest of the dead months. There is a huge difference releasing a phone in August vs. February, and I won't even mention doing that in an economical recession.
    02-24-11 07:20 PM
    Funny how no one mentions, that many people are struggling to pay bills and doesn't feel financially secure enough to cash out more money (or pay ETF or pay full price), and to add to that, it's February, which is the deadest of the dead months. There is a huge difference releasing a phone in August vs. February, and I won't even mention doing that in an economical recession.
    Shhh you make no sense. The VZW iPhone 4 is a failure!
    02-24-11 07:38 PM

See for yourself guys, new Qualcomm chips (which happen to support both GSM & CDMA) for Verizon iphone 4 brings more juice than the AT&T iphone 4
    02-24-11 09:18 PM
    Shhh you make no sense. The VZW iPhone 4 is a failure!
    I hope you are joking when you say that. The Verizon Iphone is a huge success and like others in this thread, we now have phones that make calls. Seriously, its that simple. You know, at the end of the day we can argue back and forth on how great or crappy the Iphone is. What does that accomplish for us right now? I can say with a straight face that I am so pleased with my Iphone and I do not miss my droids like I thought I would. I don't customize, waste of time for me. I have a family to take care of plus a dog that needs my full attention. To get hung up on how to customize a phone is far far from what I want and care to do. If that is what turns you on, go for whatever flavor you want.

Peace
    02-24-11 09:20 PM
    Don't shoot the messenger people.
    but i find this an interesting read.
    Why aren't people buying the Verizon iPhone? | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews
    I don't know what to make of this. I know for a fact the UPS thing is a lie. I've been a manager for 5 UPS's for 15 years. There never was any special project for the I-phone. No special shipping, holding or loading. We never put any package above anyone elses. When we have I-phones or other items like this come threw the hub, we just have supervisors do more checks and we have a extra supervisor on the floor. We treat all packages with care and the same. We only have a certain amount of time to get packages loaded, scanned, sorted and out. Apple doesn't call ahead or put anything on the boxes telling us there i-phones. There's no way to tell. We handle things worth a lot more and at a higher theft rate. When more then a thousand I-phones or other high risk packages come into the hub, only managers working the belt are told. Its need to know.
    02-24-11 10:21 PM
    i agree with you on that one.
    and if Verizon will offer a cheaper data plan ala AT&T.
    But the real question is this June 2011. my gut tells me AT&T will probably get the next iphone first and after a few months, Big Red will release the CDMA version.
    This is the million dollar question, will AT&T get the iPhone 5 before Verizon? I have an optimistic feeling in my gut that both carriers will receive the next iphone at the same time. I don't see Apple caring for negotiating exclusivity and grace periods with one carrier over the other. I feel Apple will go for the big applause moment and when they announce the next iphone they will announce that it will be available on both carriers at the same time. I personally hope that ends up being the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-11 12:15 AM
    A phone with the killer feature of making phone calls? Very exciting.
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    02-25-11 12:31 AM
    I think its too early to call the VIP (Verizon iPhone) a dud. I think with the elimination of the NE2 discount and annual upgrade, many are waiting to use their discount one last time or want to make sure that they get the right phone with that last discount. For any one that bought a BlackBerry in the summer of 2009, say like a BB Tour for example, their NE2 is likely to be in March, not February. My NE2 is March 14, so it doesn't make sense for me to blow a $50 discount plus pay an additional $20 upgrade fee, which is a total of $70 more to buy an iPhone now when I can wait 2 or 3 more weeks and save that $70.

I think there are couple other strong reasons why people may be hesitating.

The ATT advertising of simultaneous data and voice plus faster network may keep GSM users staying with ATT, but we CDMA users have never had that, so I am not sure that's a big deal to us. However, for people who plan on using the mobile hotspot feature or tether their phones via other means, they may come to appreciate a faster network speed and same time data and voice. But, when Verizon is developing a much faster network, LTE, that does allow for those two features and it is available in 30 major markets in the US, and Verizon has 4 or more handsets coming out in 2011 with LTE capabiity, I think many prospective VIP owners are on the fence. They want the iPhone, but they want LTE, too. Currently, only Android has the LTE in their upcoming devices. But will the next iPhone feature LTE?

I don't know how many smartphone users like to re-program their phones. Read Android Central and you'd think that everyone who buys a smartphone wants to re-program it. Read some of the forums on TIPB or even here on CrackBerry and you'd think that even Apple iPhone users want to re-program their phones. But I think the vast majority of smartphone users just want the phone to work as is. I am very interested in Android but I don't want to root my phone and from I can tell, a stock Android is not as fun to use as a stock iPhone. So, do we jump off the fence and go to Android to get our LTE or do we go iPhone and have a phone that works and is cool to use? It's a tough choice. Especially when some Android fans love to say that a stock Android is better than a stock iPhone, yet they never seem to have a stock Android.

The other reason is the new updated model is likely only a few months away, Now, I have never known Verizon to come out with a new model of an existing phone less than 12 months after the first. But, perhaps Verizon just wanted to get the iPhone early and get a jump on ATT, meaning that the new version will come out in June or July as per Apple's normal schedule.

I am just waiting for the friggen HTC Thunderbolt to drop, so I can see if that LTE is mostly hype or is reliable at the handset level. I confirmed LTE availability in my area.
    cpc12 likes this.
    02-25-11 02:12 AM
    Unless you're in a big city, you won't be using LTE anytime soon because it won't be available to you, so that Thunderbolt won't be striking anything anytime soon. I view the LTE transition to be very similar to what happened when digital radios were being put up and it took a few years for all the analog gear to come off the towers. You'll see that same thing happen with LTE. I'm guessing late 2012 and even possibly 2014 before the entire US is blanketed in LTE enough to match the current 3G coverage areas.
    02-25-11 09:31 AM
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous to think the VIP is a dud. It's not like VZW gave every single subscriber an early upgrade with no ETFs or other fees. As many others before me have already stated, people are tied to contracts (especially those with Droids that have been ever so gently pushed by VZW employees for the past year and a half) and ETFs are insanely high, we are still in a recession and most people don't have the extra coin to pay for a $600+ phone off contract or in conjunction with ETFs, then throw in the fact that many people assume that the IP5 will be out sometime this summer or shortly thereafter, as well as the LTE Android phones on the horizon, and you've got a recipe for mildly lackluster sales.

By no means is this phone a dud. I also agree with what one poster said how if 10 people went into Verizon right now dead set on getting a new phone, the overwhelming majority of them would walk out with an iPhone.
    02-25-11 11:17 AM
    I think those people that are stuck in Android contracts now because they thought the iPhone wasn't coming and that an Android device was the next best thing are probably kicking themselves a bit now.
    02-25-11 12:50 PM
    I think those people that are stuck in Android contracts now because they thought the iPhone wasn't coming and that an Android device was the next best thing are probably kicking themselves a bit now.
    I, for one, am not kicking myself. Partially because I really like my DX, and also because I'm smart enough to get a one-year contract on it and am able to upgrade in July of this year. But you bet your ascot that I'll be checking out the iPhone 5 or waiting until I know what the deal is with it coming to VZW before I make my next purchase.
    02-25-11 01:22 PM
    I hope you are joking when you say that. The Verizon Iphone is a huge success and like others in this thread, we now have phones that make calls. Seriously, its that simple. You know, at the end of the day we can argue back and forth on how great or crappy the Iphone is. What does that accomplish for us right now? I can say with a straight face that I am so pleased with my Iphone and I do not miss my droids like I thought I would. I don't customize, waste of time for me. I have a family to take care of plus a dog that needs my full attention. To get hung up on how to customize a phone is far far from what I want and care to do. If that is what turns you on, go for whatever flavor you want.

Peace
    Learn to sarcasm. Also, learn to read my previous post in this thread. Also, learn to read my listed devices. I own a VZW iPhone 4. Before you start ranting you should really read previous posts.
    02-25-11 01:43 PM
    i hate fruit and prefer little green men lmfao
    02-25-11 01:50 PM
    02-25-11 07:00 PM
    I just came from a Blackberry Bold 9650 and for me, the iPhone 4 blows it away. The iPhone 4 is definitely a hit.
    Last edited by zwoof; 02-25-11 at 07:51 PM.
    02-25-11 07:04 PM
    i hate fruit and prefer little green men lmfao
    I like poison apples.
    02-25-11 07:54 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD