Hi. I have a 9780 with me and I am considering to change to 9800. The reason is simple: Double input issue and I am very bothered by it.
    Of course alternatively I can go back to store and get a 3rd replacement.

Can you post your experiences regard to these phones and give me some advice on whether I should keep replacing the phone or just go for 9800?

Thanks!
    02-21-11 09:24 PM
    Well do you like a Touchscreen? The 9780 is new and will be tuned over time with OS updates. This is no different than any other BB including the Torch. Have you tried running a leaked OS? It just might correct your issue.
    02-21-11 09:35 PM
    ^ i'm with Shansmi on this one. Ask yourself, are you a touch screen/ non -touch screen person?
    but with the 9800, you can do most of it, say 95% using the trackpad and the slide out keyboard, but the question is, why would you not use the touch screen if you can.
    NEXT consideration is the REAL state, which i find more advantageous when viewing pictures or reading web pages.
    KEyboard wise.. 9780 wins
    02-21-11 09:42 PM
    TBH touchscreen or not really does not matter to me.
    The first 9780 came with 294. I have updated the current one to 448 both have doubt input issue. From what I have heard, it is a hardware problem.
    02-21-11 09:45 PM
    when he said bold i thought of the 9000.... i dunt really consider the 9700 or 9780 to be a bold
    02-22-11 01:03 AM
    I hadn't enjoyed the touchscreen experience with a couple of abortive attempts at Android phones and kept going back to the Bold because the BB suited me best. However at my last upgrade i took a chance on the Torch because it's got a nice 'hard', familiar BB keyboard as well as the touchscreen, and I have to say that I'm really loving it.
    I've added os 5.0.0.450 and it runs very smoothly - good battery life and no overheating, which was certainly not the case with the Android phones.
    02-22-11 03:52 AM
    I just sold my bold 9700 an bought a torch and I really miss my 9700

The torch is very nice, but I realize now that I don't really need the touchscreen and also that the keyboard isn't as good as the bold's
    02-22-11 04:37 AM
    I have both and I can say this. For me OS6 was made for TS. It's very quick and easy to get to places. However, I do miss having the shortcut keys readily available without sliding the keypad up to access the keys. The larger screen size is nice, but if you are use to Non-TS BB, it will take some getting use to. For example, I have a bunch of speed dial set up on my 9780, but you can only set up 8 speed dial numbers on TS and can set up more if you slide the keyboard up. It's one more step and very difficult to do when you have only one hand.
    02-22-11 05:00 AM
    when he said bold i thought of the 9000.... i dunt really consider the 9700 or 9780 to be a bold
    would Mini-Bold be ok with you?
    think of a BMW X5 and an X3
    or a Hummer and an H3
    02-22-11 10:25 AM
    Thanks all for the replies.
    A few more questions
    1. Is there a big difference between the battery life of 9780 and 9800?
    2. Also is the bottoms of 9800 really making typing uncomfortable?
    3. Is there any known hardware issues similar to the double input problem on 9780?

The last thing I need is having a new phone turns out to be as bothering as the previous one.
    02-22-11 10:39 AM
    here's my take on this one.
    A few more questions
    - i don't have a 9780 right now, so i can't comment on this one.
    -NO
    3. Is there any known hardware issues similar to the double input problem on 9780?
    -a few people are reporting the send, bb, return end calls keys peeling off.
    i have never encoutered that, nor 3 other people in the house who have a 9800.

The last thing I need is having a new phone turns out to be as bothering as the previous one.
    02-22-11 10:43 AM
    A few more questions

1. 9800 battery life is probably a little less, but not dramatically. Most people easily go a whole day between charges.
    2. Not uncomfortable, but takes a little getting used to. The Bold's keyboard is definitely better to type on, but the Torch's is still better than a virtual. I think, anyway. I'm typing on one now!
    3. Never heard of the double-input issue on a Torch (is this the same as the stuttering keyboard?). Only fairly common issue was with wobbly sliders, but that was mostly with the earliest builds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-11 10:49 AM
    OP this is the exact reason I got a 9800. Best decision I ever made. Will be buying a Torch 2 as well. The bigger screen is reason enough to do it. Trust me.

02-22-11 11:07 AM
    I had a 9700 and traded to a Torch. I loved my 9700 but I love the Torch more. Even when I use the trackpad & keyboard I like the larger screen of the Torch. I can't do without the physical keyboard but I also like the touch screen. Torch is the best of both worlds.

02-22-11 12:27 PM
    I have opted for the Torch after replacing three 9780s. The keyboard on the 9780 is definitely easier to use but the Torch's larger touchscreen combined with a very usable physical keyboard wins for me...
    02-22-11 02:51 PM
    I have a bold 9000, and I upgraded to the Torch. While the keyboard on the bold is Huge and great I would still get the Torch if I had to to it again.

You get used to the small keys on the Torch. The added touch screen is great and I still have the ability to use the keyboard when I am typing longer messages ( like this ).

02-22-11 04:32 PM
    A few more questions

1. My 9700 lasts 2-3 days whereas 9800 lasts no more than 2 days.
    2. No, the top is more of a problem being so close to the slider. But you'll get used to it. I prefer the 9800 keyboard as it feels like typing on a laptop compared to a PC.
    3. There's a lot of wobble issues but a lot of people say this is normal for slider phones. I also lost the 'clicky' feel for the green and escape buttons. But they still work so I'm not too worried.

Unfortunately since the 9000 RIM build quality has gone down the hill. Even my old Nokias have never had any build quality issues.
    02-22-11 05:12 PM
    Had the 9000 and 9700 now I have the torch and I'm not going back to little candy bar screen.
    I loved the 9000 but I not going for the bold with TS either this torch have change my BB needs so waiting for the T2 or maybe T3 or something better always with big Tscreen and 2 types of KB.

Good luck with your decision.

02-22-11 05:48 PM
    I had the 9780. I swapped it for the 9800.

9780 pros - typing is a little bit better, apart from the double type (which mine didn't have). Trad form factor is easier to work with.
    For some the size and weight is a plus in that it's lighter and more compact.

Torch Pros - the size of the screen makes some apps much better. The calendar, for example, looks much better on the 9800. Social feeds/News feeds are better as you move through them more quickly with more screen real estate. OS 6 was built for a touch interface, coupled with the trackpad navigation is a touch quicker on the 9800. Videos play better on the bigger screen.
    For some the touch is a plus in itself and the Torch has a "bling factor" that some like.

For me the Torch is a more fun experience that actually doesn't cost anything in productivity once you get used to the "shallow" keyboard experience. I'm so committed to the Torch that I may go for the "more of the same" Torch 2 over the "dream berry" Bold Touch.
    02-22-11 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD