How much is that really? I send 100s of emails and surf most of the day on my phone. Att is the only one that does not offer unlimited data. But I want a torch!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 11:11 PM
    If you take a good look at your phone bill, it should list how many minutes you used, how many night time/weekend minutes, incomming text, out going text, and ammount of data usage. You should be able to look back a few months and figure out pretty close to what your adverage kb/mb per month is.
    02-20-11 11:27 PM
    I'm with tmobile and they don't keep that info cause its unlimited

02-20-11 11:37 PM
    Your bill details should contain a list of every data session you had, no matter how short, with a summary of the total received and transmitted.
    02-21-11 01:21 AM
    try 200mb for first 2 month to see how it works out,
    You can always upgrade to 2gb later on.
    2gb is alot of data for blackberry.

i only use about 150mb a month
    02-21-11 01:42 AM
    data compression on BB is great. While 200MB should be sufficient for just what you said, any A/V will take a serious toll. Of course, you could always use WiFi for that...

Also AT&T does have an unlimited plan. It is $10/month per line and is exclusive to family plans. They will also not let you use it as the data plan with a smartphone upgrade, though you could buy the BB/iPhone somewhere else (like the marketplace) and throw in your SIM (what I plan on doing)...

EDIT:
    Also no, $10/mo/line is not a typo. It's just unadvertised, exclusive to family plans, and they won't give you it if your phone from them is a smartphone (though I have heard of people just calling 611 and saying that they do not actually have one).
    Last edited by Ipuvaepe; 02-21-11 at 02:31 AM.
    pjmacklin likes this.
    02-21-11 02:27 AM
    I'm sorry this question was regarding 2g not 200mb data.

02-21-11 12:05 PM
    I've been on a 200mb plan for a year now, and with moderate use of Facebook, Twitter, web browsing and navigation, I've not gone over that. Most people don't go over 2gb unless you run Pandora or something all day every day lol.
    03-03-11 02:52 PM
    I moved down to the 200mb plan, and use Twitter and Facebook quite a bit. I also use wifi when it is available to cut down on data use. I haven't gone over yet.
    03-03-11 05:16 PM
    The only reason you should exceed 2 gigs is if you do a lot of streaming media or are tethering to a computer. I use the 'berry for e-mail (5 accounts, BES wireless reconciliation), quite a bit of web browsing, a little bit of Youtube, and have yet to reach 200 MB in a month.

03-06-11 11:03 AM
    A question like this will get you nothing but a 100+ different answers...

The best thing you can do is get low tier data plan and keep close track of the amount of data you are using through out the month - if you see you're getting close to the 200mb then call AT&T and change to the 2gig plan.

Everyone's usage is different - I'm less then one day into the new billing cycle on one of my lines and I've already used 60+mb...

03-06-11 10:07 PM
    He's right, Im 25 days into mine and I've only used 74 MB

AT&T actually put out a good plan, I honestly don't need unlimited data, I just liked the thought of it.

I do like music, but using wifi or a memory card isn't going to kill me, in fact it will save me about 144 dollars a year.
    03-06-11 11:13 PM
    When I first got AT&T I was pissed that they didnt have unlimited. But after 3months with them I havent come close to the 2gb. I realize now how much free wifi there is out there. My parents live 3 hour away and I drive there and back every weekend streaming Pandora radio the whole way and I have yet to use more than 1.4gb
    03-07-11 12:48 AM
    When I signed with ATT I was upset they had just done away with unlimited data. But since then I have never gone over 150MB, I liked the idea of unlimited but I like the $$$ better in my pocket.

03-09-11 07:19 PM
    Guess I win this thread...

I stream Sirius radio (or sometimes Slacker Radio) for 9 hours a day 5 days a week at work. Plus a couple hours on the weekends when I walk my dogs.

Also, I send a lot of emails and do some light-moderate web browsing and facebook.

I used over 9 gigs last month.

Thank god I'm grandfathered. And NO, I am NOT tethering OR watching videos of any kind. This is almost entirely what I described above. My billing cycle started at the beginning of March and I'm already at 3.2 gigs.
    03-10-11 11:44 PM
    Here's your answer:

03-11-11 12:22 AM
    I havent gone over 86mb with my Torch yet in the couple months Ive had it.
    03-18-11 12:42 PM
    i average 80MB a month, and I use my phone daily to surf, email, facebook...I do wifi alot as well tho.
    04-16-11 12:28 AM
    I'm sorry this question was regarding 2g not 200mb data.

2 GB will be sufficient for what you do if you are in a WI-FI area for part of your day, even if you do lots of video. Look at your bill and see what you use though.
    04-16-11 02:20 AM
    I think it depends heavily which phone you use.

On my Blackberry, I have yet to exceed 2GB with pretty heavy music streaming, whereas on my iPhone most months I go over 2GB, although not by much. As much as I enjoy AT&T and their data speeds where I live, I would drop them in a heartbeat if they took away my unlimited data plan (which I'm sure will be as soon as LTE becomes available... ironically, the time when I will probably want "unlimited" the most!).

Just to throw this out there, 80% of my data comes from streaming Rhapsody during walking my dog/runs which equals roughly 10 hours a week.

As far as Android/Phone 7 I don't really know.
    04-18-11 12:12 AM
    How much is that really? I send 100s of emails and surf most of the day on my phone. Att is the only one that does not offer unlimited data. But I want a torch!

*DATA# from home screen followed by send key will get you a text message from at&t giving your usage todate for current billing cycle. I have unlimited plan but check anyway. Sounds like I use data a lot more than you and I rarely go over 2 gig. The 2 gb plan should work well for you.

04-27-11 03:18 AM
    This is semi related but a warning for all ATT customers.

I've switched to the 200 mb data plan ever since they started it and have never gone over. Recently, the last few months I have been pushing that limit and even going over. When I finally checked online to see where all my data was going I noticed that a lot of usage was from times when I knew i was connected over WiFi at home. I called ATT and after a bit of digging they suggested I turn off my data services. They were surprised to learn that I couldn't connect to the internet at all, even when connected to WiFi. So they then told me I would need to turn off my mobile network connection if I didn't want to be charged twice for the data....Let me just write that again in all caps for emphasis: I NEED TO TURN OFF MY MOBILE NETWORK CONNECTION TO NOT BE CHARGED TWICE.

I don't know if this has always been going on but there is all kinds of people from ATT realizing they're being charged for data while on WiFi and ATT's response is that is how it is supposed to be. Their solution, turn off all cellphone capabilities whenever you're connected to WiFi to not be charged for the data.

Is anyone else seeing this?
    05-05-11 10:36 AM
    I think alot of it has to do with certain phones. I just went over my data usage and it seems that i used ~4x more data with my Bold than with my Curve 3g.

Dec - 613mb - Bold/iPhone3Gs
    Jan - 406mb - Bold
    Feb - 348 - Bold
    March - 106 - Bold/Curve (Mar 28)
    April - 63.7 - Curve
    May (so far) - 196 - Bold/Curve (curve broke just got the replacement today)

Honestly, if you are border line and mostly stay under, just go for the 200mb plan. If you go over the charge is $10 which is the same as the $25 you pay for a 2gb plan. But at least you only have to pay it on months where you go over.

Personally i miss the security of unlimited data for $20. But of course money-hungry ATT cant just leave well enough alone.
    05-06-11 12:00 PM
    My thoughts:

Blackberry = either plan should be fine for your use.
    iPhone 4 = Pray you have a grandfathered unlimited plan. Data hungry! Although, I seem to be on wifi much more these days, I will not give up my unlimited plan unless I am forced.
    05-10-11 10:41 PM
    I could easily get away with the 2 gb plan but why give up my unlimited data for the sake of $5/mo? I've tried to see the most data I could possibly use in a month and even streaming Pandora every day on the way to work and on the way home I was only able to use about 420 mb. I could probably even pull off the 200 mb plan since there is wifi virtually everywhere but the bottom line is I'm not willing to police myself about my usage quite yet.
    06-05-11 09:36 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD