Hi,
    If this question has already been addressed, then I apologize.
    I was at a concert recently and had a chance to text "Chesney" to 44624 to win a prize. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to do that.
    Thanks for any help with this.
    Denise
    08-05-08 02:06 PM
    Select "compose sms text" from your messages menu, then just scroll up to the "use once" and you can input the 5 digits.

5 digits for texting are reserved for businesses (such as the promotion you saw). For example, I get text updates from Twitter from a 5 digit number (40404)

It's all good.
    08-05-08 02:08 PM
    5 digits for texting are reserved for businesses
    Ya learn something new every day I never knew that
    08-05-08 02:10 PM
    Spose that then you open yourself to spam texts from businesses since you initiated business contact? I'm thinking likely.
    08-05-08 04:33 PM
    Spose that then you open yourself to spam texts from businesses since you initiated business contact? I'm thinking likely.
    True. I'd check the fine print on any win-by-texting contests before I sent off an SMS. You may be inadvertently agreeing to receive promotional texts, etc. No biggie if you're on an unlimited text plan, but for those that are limited in number (or just don't want the hassle), worth looking into.

Good point.
    08-05-08 04:37 PM
    i've also dialed the number on my phone pad and then opened the menu and selected "sms text ____" (the number you want to text)
    08-05-08 04:40 PM
    Just found out that my carrier (telus) charges $3.00 each for these texts. Nice to know AFTER i got the bill. Just a little heads up ....
    08-05-08 08:10 PM
    Just found out that my carrier (telus) charges $3.00 each for these texts. Nice to know AFTER i got the bill. Just a little heads up ....
    Are you sure it was your carrier? OR was it the promo that was going on?!

I have txted Google (Googl) thousands of times, as well as ESPN, TheWeatherChannel, etc... no extra charge!!
    08-05-08 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD