I just found out from Verizon that if I re-activate a phone on my account that used to have insurance, the insurance is no longer valid for a claim. Phones can only be switched if you do it for a shorter period than 30 days. Verizon will continue to collect the money for Assurian, but if a claim is filed, it will be denied since there was a break in usage of the phone over 30 days.

This makes no sense to me. Can someone explain why this happens and why Verizon will still continue to collect money if the claim will be denied?
    02-19-11 08:51 PM
    So no one can explain this to me? Come on guys! Speak up! :-)
    02-22-11 07:25 PM
    I don't work for Verizon, but what you laid out in your OP makes complete sense.

They aren't going to cover a device that had a break in coverage. The fact that you failed to drop the insurance coverage has nothing to do with whether the device is eligible to be covered by the insurance. It's your responsibility to drop the coverage.
    02-22-11 07:37 PM
    I completely understand Verizon not covering a device with a beak in service. What I don't understand is why I would continue to be charged for the insurance. When I asked at the store I was told that I would continue to be charged until I stopped the payment authorizations.

Doesn't seem like good business practice to me.
    02-23-11 07:46 AM
    You just, had to have asked them to drop the insurance from your account. Once I traded my Storm2, and got a used Bold (uninsuable by Verizon & Asuron standards) I immediately called verizon and dropped my insurance. I even joked about it with the phone C/S rep.
    02-23-11 08:37 AM
    I completely understand Verizon not covering a device with a beak in service. What I don't understand is why I would continue to be charged for the insurance. When I asked at the store I was told that I would continue to be charged until I stopped the payment authorizations.

Doesn't seem like good business practice to me.
    Verizon isn't the one that would deny your coverage since they aren't an insurance company. If you're no longer eligible to make a claim or no longer want to pay, it's your duty to inform them though. They just collect the money for Asurion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 01:18 PM
    Verizon isn't the one that would deny your coverage since they aren't an insurance company. If you're no longer eligible to make a claim or no longer want to pay, it's your duty to inform them though. They just collect the money for Asurion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I understand that too. What I'm questioning is why Verizon would continue to bill me if the phones weren't covered under insurance. They (Verizon) were the ones that canceled the insurance.
    02-24-11 02:49 PM
    I had insurance on my Storm.

When I upgraded to Droid 2 I continued with insurance.

Since I activated a blackberry and am using that, does my insurance still cover my droid 2? I believe that it does.

Also, I got an Assurion phone I think in October for my Storm that had a cracked screen. This phone has an issue...it has killed four different Dx-1 batteries now. Is this still covered any manufacturer warranty or whatever? I want to use the thing to at least charge my spare batteries.....not to mention what it's cost me money by killing my good batteries. My assurion replacement shouldnt be an unsusable defective piece of garbage after a few months of light use. It's a random thing.....it seems to work fine, but 4 different batteries now it has killed....I didn't want to beleive it was the phone but clearly it is.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 03-10-11 at 09:52 AM.
    03-10-11 09:50 AM
    It turns out the information given to me at the Verizon store wasn't at all correct. Verizon Customer Service fixed everything and a replacement phone is on its way. Insurance does not stop just because you switch phones. The insurance carries over from phone to phone just as I thought it should.
    03-10-11 04:15 PM
    Glad it worked out for your replacement phone. I am not 100% sure but as to your original question it could be that Verizon is acting as the collection agent for Asuron and can only stop invoice / collections upon their notification. Your agreement for coverage is with the Asuron so Verizon just collects the funds in the monthly service invoices as a convenience to customers.
    03-10-11 05:34 PM
    It turns out the information given to me at the Verizon store wasn't at all correct. Verizon Customer Service fixed everything and a replacement phone is on its way. Insurance does not stop just because you switch phones. The insurance carries over from phone to phone just as I thought it should.
    Glad you got that straightened out... I just noticed your original posting, and was going to advise you to get a second opinion. I've had the Asurion coverage for many years, and we've switched phones on our lines MANY times...not just upgrading with new ones, but sometimes by re-activating old ones temporarily...and there has never been a break in coverage since I never cancelled the insurance.
    03-12-11 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD