I recently switched to an AT&T torch and was looking at the OLAM page to see how much data I was using.

According to AT&T I've used 10.2 MB in 2 days (I'm on the 200mb plan). Fair enough, but what is peculiar to me is the following:

1) All the usage entries say "sent"; none of them are "received"
    2) There appears to be a corresponding "wap.cingular" entry for almost all of the "blackberry.net" entries. They are at the exact same time or within a minute or so.

So my questions are as follows:

1) What's the big difference in usage? Extrapolating 5mb a day becomes 150 a month whereas I used to only use 60-70mb on Verizon.
    2) I thought wap.cingular is used for things like MMS? I haven't sent anything and I don't really have any other "connected" programs installed.
    3) How accurate is the number in OLAM or from *DATA#?
    4) What's with the data usage at weird times of the day? 2454KB at 4:42am?

I don't have any social feeds enabled and the only applications I've installed are:

BerryBuzz
    Google Maps
    Google Sync
    Tether (haven't used)

All of which were the exact same when I was using my verizon 9650. I'm running 448 if that helps.

Thanks
    Last edited by amjbecker; 02-19-11 at 08:05 PM.
    02-19-11 08:03 PM
    Make sure Google Maps is closed when you're not using it. I found in the past it can run in the background and ends up continuously download maps and tracks you via GPS. So more data is used
    02-19-11 08:08 PM
    Make sure Google Maps is closed when you're not using it. I found in the past it can run in the background and ends up continuously download maps and tracks you via GPS. So more data is used
    Just checked. It's closed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 08:13 PM
    Then also consider your Google Sync, the frequency of when it checks for new info. Even though you may not have added anything new, when it sync it uses some data as well.

Besides that it may be a system problem with AT&T
    02-19-11 08:19 PM
    How do I check the OLAM page??

02-19-11 08:28 PM
    Go to att.com/mywireless

Then go to data usage and view usage

02-19-11 08:33 PM
    Also disable your AUTO update social media sync. That could update 5mb of data daily with out you knowing it

02-19-11 09:52 PM
    Also disable your AUTO update social media sync. That could update 5mb of data daily with out you knowing it

I dont have any of the social media apps setup

02-19-11 09:56 PM
    there are some default RSSs that are currently in your Social Media app.
    02-20-11 05:51 AM
    there are some default RSSs that are currently in your Social Media app.
    I just checked, its not even installed. I wiped and only picked the mandatory plus documents to go when installing.
    02-20-11 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD