Hi there, fellow CB members. Do share the light with me. I am curious and I seriously wonder, is Tether truly worth the money to purchase it?

I am thinking to buy it maybe around next month or so. Therefore all advise and opinions are truly appreciated!
    02-18-11 06:34 PM
    Imo, definitely.

Tether uniquely uses the same IP port as the native browser to send/receive its traffic. This means that provided you are sensible with how you use it, your carrier will not detect that you are tethering. Since most carriers like to charge you monthly for the privilege of tethering Tether can save you quite a bit in the long term.

Tether is sometimes on special off at CrackBerry so keep you eyes open.
    02-18-11 06:39 PM
    I completely agree with Pete6, well worth the money, probably saved me over $100 of excess data charges as well as the need to purcahse a internet data stick
    02-18-11 06:43 PM
    Tether has worked great for me on every network except tmobile. I'm no longer with them, but it was horribly slow when I was - but at that time, they allowed you to tether with desktop manager for free, which worked just as well (I'm not sure if that's still free or not).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-11 06:57 PM
    It definitely is. When you travel no more hotel internet access fee. A lot of money saved for me personally.
    02-18-11 06:58 PM
    If you need to tether a lot, yes.
    If you don't, you're probably better off with the free version of tetherbridge or pdanet, at least until tether goes on sale.
    02-18-11 07:32 PM
    It works great with my laptop that isn't able to receive a wifi signal! Really beats browsing with a 2.5in screen. I don't use it as often as I thought I would went I first got it, but its good to always have that option open whenever I need to download something straight to my computer.

It was on sale twice last month so I suggest you wait for it to go back on sale and grab it for half off.

02-18-11 08:19 PM
    Here, try it for yourself - there's a 7 day trial:
    Download a 7-day Tether for BlackBerry trial | Tether

02-18-11 08:21 PM
    I was under the impression that carriers frowned upon this? Thought I had read a couple of threads about teatherberry which discussed people getting into trouble with these sorts of apps?

Someone enlighten me

02-18-11 08:28 PM
    That's the thing with tether - it disguises your activity to look like you are doing a bunch of browsing from your phone. I'm pretty sure its the #1 reason why carriers are doing away with their unlimited data plans. Sure, its frowned upon, but only if you tell them you're doing it. And even then, they won't kick you off the cell network forever. They can't say you aren't allowed to use it that way, so instead, they limit the amount of data you can use. So if you're grandfathered into an unlimited plan - great and go for it. If you have one of the newer limited plans, it might be good for emergencies, just pay attention to how much you're using it. Tether keeps good statistics of how much data you use, so just pay attention to that.

I was under the impression that carriers frowned upon this? Thought I had read a couple of threads about teatherberry which discussed people getting into trouble with these sorts of apps?

Someone enlighten me

02-18-11 08:35 PM
    I think it's a great app...I use it all the time when I travel. I have never heard anything from my carrier.
    02-22-11 10:44 AM
    Worth it, BUT I would wait till they put it on sale, they usually discount it by 50% 2 to 3 times a year. Keep your eyes open for it!!!!!
    02-22-11 11:33 AM
    TBH, I think PDANET is very underrated. Its $20 cheaper, and works just as well!

02-22-11 12:31 PM
    That's the thing with tether - it disguises your activity to look like you are doing a bunch of browsing from your phone. I'm pretty sure its the #1 reason why carriers are doing away with their unlimited data plans. Sure, its frowned upon, but only if you tell them you're doing it. And even then, they won't kick you off the cell network forever. They can't say you aren't allowed to use it that way, so instead, they limit the amount of data you can use. So if you're grandfathered into an unlimited plan - great and go for it. If you have one of the newer limited plans, it might be good for emergencies, just pay attention to how much you're using it. Tether keeps good statistics of how much data you use, so just pay attention to that.
    I thought Verizon had a way to notice if this was going on or not. Is there anyone on VZW that has used Tether and can confirm what is quoted above? If so, this would be a very good investment for me. Thanks!
    02-22-11 02:57 PM
    Has anyone used this app with a Mac and can provide any feedback?

Thanks
    02-25-11 08:51 AM
    I use Bayalink Liberty. It not only allows you to tether, but allows you access to your PIM data on your laptop. However, Bayalink Liberty is more expensive than the Tether's full price, so buying Tether at half price is probably a better deal. Furthermore, it appears the developer is putting some of Liberty's features into Tether with Tether 2's beta.
    02-25-11 09:03 AM
    Tether for Blackberry is the Deal of the Day at the Crackberry App Store today offered at 50% off and well worth the money:

Deal of the Day: 50% Off Tether for BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    Pete6 likes this.
    02-25-11 09:05 AM
    Tether for Blackberry is the Deal of the Day at the Crackberry App Store today offered at 50% off and well worth the money:

Deal of the Day: 50% Off Tether for BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    Was just gonna post this. Ya'll beat me to it .
    02-25-11 09:19 AM
    Tether works great on Mac, you just cannot have desktop manager installed on your Mac to use it unless your going through BT then your fine. Speeds are just as fast as a PC.

As for the people talking about the "red flags" Tether runs through application data so the carriers cannot see that your tethering. It just looks like your checking email or using any other app that uses application data. Carriers cannot detect that is what your actually doing because that would break privacy laws. Even then it is still just application data and not tethering data.
    Just don't go over your monthly data limit because then you will get charged for overage just as you would normally. In saying that I normally use Tether (between 4-5 times a week to surf, email and what not and I haven't exceeded 250mb in a month. The app has a way to track your data anyways.
    03-02-11 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD