Found a killer deal on an unlocked Verizon (CDMA) S2 and wondering if it is a wise purchase and what I would need to do to get it setup and running correctly. This is actually for my Stepdaughter as she keeps going through dumbphones due to craptastic build quality....

I have read over some threads and seems most miss what I am trying for.

I am under Tmobile(GSM) and basically what I would do is use my sim card to put in the S2 and it should work, just wouldnt have a data package, but could still use wifi correct? I also know I would lose 3G, which is fine as majority of the time I am under EDGE anyway, so used to it.

Would I be able to use any Apps at all? I know majority of them dont work, but more so wondering for her case.....

I imagine I wouldnt get UMA on it as it isnt a US TMobile phone, but seems some have? Not a deal breaker, but get pretty bad signal in our apartment....

Reason I dont want a data package is well for one, I cant really afford it and two, she dont need all of that just yet. She is only 14, so kinda trying to keep it simple, but while she is at home she would like to browse if she could.

Wondering if it would just be easier to get a TMobile phone off CL....but she really wants a touchscreen phone.

Thanks for any help!

Yes, I know I have a lot of posts, but most are about my phone (9700) and shooting the ish so to speak. Know next to nothing on unlocked phones on different carriers.
    02-16-11 05:52 PM
    Eek, all these views and not one post.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-11 10:02 PM
    Let me say first that I'm not trying to start a flame fest of my phone is better that your phone (it has been touchy in the forums lately).

You said that she really wants a touch screen. I would think that you could probably find an early model android for cheap and I'm guessing since she is only 14 that there would be many more apps available that she would find interesting.

I know that you were asking about how useful a storm would be on tmo but I can't help you there.

02-16-11 10:59 PM
    Don't you need a google account to get an Android to even be used as a phone, which would require a data package or am I mistaken and mislead as anytime I switched out my Androids it came up with the Android guy and asking to sign in or can that be bypassed?

Been awhile since I have used one....I am sure she wouldn't mind an Android either, so open to suggestions...just BB is nice as it uses UMA for signal booster...wifes Android runs fine on wifi, but sucks for calling, granted her phone supposedly has wifi-calling on it and was supposed to be pushed as an app on her phone and has not as of yet...in one week, lol! (Switched phones in case you were wondering what I was rambling about.)

Thanks for at least answering...was wondering where all the crackberrians have went too...

02-17-11 02:12 AM
    I have a S2 without BB data package, of course I cant use the RIM apps, like BBM, Facebook, Twitter, etc, but wifi still works..
    02-17-11 08:11 AM
    I have a S2 without BB data package, of course I cant use the RIM apps, like BBM, Facebook, Twitter, etc, but wifi still works..
    Then why bother with it. when u cant use the whole package.
    02-17-11 09:44 AM
    Because some people don't need all the functions of a BB or any smartphone for that matter...

Reason I would be getting it is due to better build quality and she could still surf on wifi. She don't need apps right now and she could always log into a lot of those places like her FB account...so no biggie on most apps....

Some people don't need all that stuff, surely my 14 year old don't, unless I can somewhat monitor it, so this is perfect in my case.

02-17-11 10:08 AM
    yes she is going to do a lot of browsing with the craptastic browser on there...
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-17-11 at 11:37 AM.
    02-17-11 10:33 AM
    Yeah, one of the more negative members on here. Thanks for gracing my thread and helping out....not surprised at all.

I have close to 2000 posts on this craptastic browser....just as fast as wife's Androids and she has been through a few, lol!

Like I said wifi...**** I even browse fine on network. Trolling as usual..

02-17-11 11:21 AM
    One word: reconsider
    02-17-11 11:22 AM
    Why? Would it not be better quality than a dumbphone and she would be able to browse on wifi while home or on a public open wifi hotspot?

Still use the phone, texting...have a nicer phone than she is used too.

What do you recommend besides getting another craptastic dumbphone? This BB is new and really cheap....cheapest I have found and is local.

What could possible go wrong? Please let me know though as I don't want to waste monies...maybe I am missing something?

By the way had a S1 and that was fail, but this one is a lot better. Have used a buddies for a short while, but he has since disappeared or else wouldn't be on here as he would know what to do.

Thanks

02-17-11 12:04 PM
    As you said in the OP, "craptastic" pretty much sums my view of Storm2. I had the Storm and it was great once OS 5.0.0.419 was released. Storm2 had a couple good OS builds, but for the most part they suck. I got tired of RIM fixing one problem and causing 3 new ones in every OS build.
    02-17-11 12:09 PM
    I know they are mixed reviews, but again this is for a 14 year old girl, not me...I am pretty positive she would love it!

Just need to make sure I wouldn't get nailed with a data charge and looks like I should be fine. Just turn off network and connect into wifi, good to go...hopefully.

All phones are hit and miss and this version is better than the S1...

02-17-11 12:22 PM
    Talk and text will be fine. What else does she need? I say go for it!

02-17-11 03:06 PM
    Bout' it and should be able to browse wifi...should suffice for her, again thanks for the help.

02-17-11 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD