Please help guys. I've never done something like this before.

My phone came with .246 installed.

In the instructions (which I saved), someone wrote:
    Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.

I don't think I have any OS on my PC, I only have BB Desktop.

???

2-
    Will it be necessary to do a battery-pull? I have a hard casing attached to my phone.
    02-16-11 05:22 PM
    If you don't have a previous Blackberry OS installed on your PC, then you are ready to go. To make sure just go to control panel > add/remove programs and you should see something like Blackberry Device Software. If its not there then you can start your install. Just remember to delet the vendor.xml

It is not always necessary to do a battery pull. Just highly recommended as it can help the OS settle faster on the device. I find that I usually have some sort of errors if I don't do a battery pull
    02-16-11 05:24 PM
    I do have Blackberry Device Software installed. Ok then.
    02-16-11 05:29 PM
    i THINK i MIGHT HAVE SCREWED UP. i'M UNINSTALLING EVERYTHING, DOES THAT MEAN i LOSE MY BACKUP FILE?
    02-16-11 05:38 PM
    No, the backup files are on the PC and are never deleted when reinstalling a device.
    02-16-11 05:43 PM
    Whew. Thanks.
    02-16-11 05:45 PM
    Should I wipe my BB clean before installing new OS??
    02-16-11 05:54 PM
    Not necessary. DM and /or Apploader wipe it as part of the process.
    02-16-11 05:57 PM
    Thanks pmc

Here is the next instruction:

Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps.

How do I do this?
    02-16-11 05:59 PM
    If you have any apps installed that have custom user/device settings (in their own options) and you are worried about having those settings restored, then you have to go through each app and back it up on the media card. not all apps give the option to save to a media card.
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it. You can setup an apps options after you reload it.
    What instructions are you following?
    02-16-11 06:03 PM
    I would recommend downloading BBSAK and using the Back up apps function.

This would back up the .cod files of the apps and all you would do after you have upgraded your OS is use BBSAK again and use the Restore Apps function
    02-16-11 06:04 PM
    Thanks all for responding.

My only concern is that I still have my apps. I have not set up any special setting on them.

Will they still be there?

To pmc:

I am using two sets of instructions. I will post them here so you can advise./ I'm doing a mixture of both.

1-

1. Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to
    •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional) Run Shrink-A-OS.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.

* please note, if you have the SixTools app, before upgrading OS you must DELETE or UPGRADE to new version 1.0.40 just released by Shao *

2-

Backup your BlackBerry using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager first incase anything goes wrong.

First you must start by downloading OS 6.0.0.448 from the following link >>> MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service OR zSHARE - 9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel1907_PL6.4.0.210_A6.0.0.448.exe

After the download is complete, install the file you have just downloaded.

Next, browse to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader
    In that folder, you will find a file called vendor.xml, DELETE that file.

While you are in that folder, after you have deleted the above mentioned file, you will find another file by the name of loader.exe

Run that file, you will now get the screen to initialize the upgrade of the OS on your BB, click next to continue, your device PIN will be listed on this next screen, click next again to continue.

Now you will be introducted with a list of options to select or deselect the components you want to install.

Carefully select only the items that you need, do not select all the chat messengers and components you know you will not use as this will eat up your precious application memory.

After you have selected the components you want to install, click next, andthe upgrade process shall begin.
    Your phone will automaticaly create a backup of your settings / apps first, then it will wipe the old OS then install the new one and restore the backup.

Should anything go wrong at this stage, you will have to wipe your device again and try again, but luckily, we have created a backup file at the beginning of these instructions, so you will still be able to restore all your contacts, emails, settings, etc.
    02-16-11 06:08 PM
    I would recommend downloading BBSAK and using the Back up apps function.

This would back up the .cod files of the apps and all you would do after you have upgraded your OS is use BBSAK again and use the Restore Apps function
    That's what I also do as do many many people here.
    Great advice.

Aussie99; If you are referring to some good instructions this should be mentioned there somewhere.

Edit...yep...see # 7
    02-16-11 06:09 PM
    What happens to SMS's? Or to my emails? Will they be there after new installation?

I use gmail only, so I don't mind them all being gone. But will I have to set up email again?

Sorry for the rookie questions. I've never had a BB before.
    02-16-11 06:10 PM
    They are all backed up with DM6, as long as you choose to do a full backup. Step 6

The first set of inst are all you need.
    02-16-11 06:12 PM
    I've alreayd uninstalled Destop manager, will BBSAK still work?
    02-16-11 06:13 PM
    You need desktop manager to update your OS. BBSAK should work without DM, but you still need it to update your OS
    02-16-11 06:14 PM
    They are all backed up with DM6, as long as you choose to do a full backup. Step 6

The first set of inst are all you need.
    I did not do a full backup, I did a quick one, without email. I'm not concerned about the emails themselves. More about the SMS and email being setup.
    02-16-11 06:14 PM
    You need desktop manager to update your OS. BBSAK should work without DM, but you still need it to update your OS
    I was told to uninstall my OS, so DM is gone!
    02-16-11 06:16 PM
    SMS requires no setup that I'm aware of unless you are using a 3rd party app for texting. The gmail account will return when you restore. If you have any trouble with it after the restore you can go to BIS and resend the service books. It's easy.
    02-16-11 06:17 PM
    Uninstalling the Blackberry OS is separate from the files for Desktop Manager.

This is how it should be listed in Control Panel:
    Blackberry Device Software v6.0.0 for Blackberry 9800 smartphone
    Blackberry Desktop Software 6.0.1

So you should only have uninstalled the Device Software
    02-16-11 06:18 PM
    SMS requires no setup that I'm aware of unless you are using a 3rd party app for texting. The gmail account will return when you restore. If you have any trouble with it after the restore you can go to BIS and resend the service books. It's easy.
    Thanks.

What about my apps, will they be there or do i need bbsak? I have installed bbsak and can't find it... lol
    02-16-11 06:20 PM
    For apps use BBSAK, as Desktop Manager backs up only info and doesn't back apps
    02-16-11 06:21 PM
    I was told to uninstall my OS, so DM is gone!
    DM and the OS are two different things.
    Reload DM6 on your PC.
    Next, goto Control Panel, Programs and look for Blackberry Device Software. You should only have one and it should be for version 6.0.0.448. If you are not sure which it is, uninstall it there and reinstall the OS you downloaded.
    02-16-11 06:21 PM
    I have not installed the new OS on my comp yet.

I only uninstalled the old OS and now DM is gone., How do I reinstall it???
    02-16-11 06:25 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD