Hey guys, love the forum. Lots of good stuff here. Here is a question that might be newbie related. I have a 9650 on VZW that almost once a day seems to lose outgoing sound on phone calls. I hear the callers fine, but they cannot hear me. Is this solely isolated to OS6, my phone, OS5 etc. I have to remove the battery to reset the phone before callers can hear me.

Is it good practice to reboot daily? I am running the Newberry6 theme. I have the same issue using the default VZW theme as well. So I don't think it is Theme Related. I don't reboot the phone after switching themes every time.

Thoughts? thanks
    02-16-11 08:35 AM
    Hi Geo. No this isnt isolated to OS6, prior to that when i was on OS5 i had the same issue. Although it was rare that it happened, like maybe 2-3x's a month at most for me. If your experiencing this everyday, I would def call CS and report it. Also, have you update your PRL lately! *228>option 2 to do this, and it may help. Also, just ending the call and replacing the call worked for me, i didnt have to pull the batt.

Changing themes does not effect your call issue.

As for rebooting daily, not necessary IMHO unless you have a mem leak thats bad. But some people like to reboot everyday just for a "fresh" start, so it's all in preferrence!

Welcome to CB!
    02-16-11 08:39 AM
    Hey guys, love the forum. Lots of good stuff here. Here is a question that might be newbie related. I have a 9650 on VZW that almost once a day seems to lose outgoing sound on phone calls. I hear the callers fine, but they cannot hear me. Is this solely isolated to OS6, my phone, OS5 etc. I have to remove the battery to reset the phone before callers can hear me.

Is it good practice to reboot daily? I am running the Newberry6 theme. I have the same issue using the default VZW theme as well. So I don't think it is Theme Related. I don't reboot the phone after switching themes every time.

Thoughts? thanks
    As a general rule, you should not have to reboot daily. On OS5 I rebooted about once a month. I'm still toying with OS6 but the official VZW release seems stable.

As Pink suggests, update your PRL and if the problem persists, a call to CS might be in order. Reboot after the PRL update. Also, make sure your Mobile Network is set to 1XEV: Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Network Technology. Change from Global to 1XEV. Welcome to CB.
    TJC70 likes this.
    02-16-11 08:54 AM
    thanks for the responses. Just did *228 option 2. Haven't done that since I have had the BB. Also rebooted.

thanks- GeO
    Last edited by geomun; 02-16-11 at 09:17 AM. Reason: grammer
    02-16-11 09:16 AM
    As a general rule, you should not have to reboot daily. On OS5 I rebooted about once a month. I'm still toying with OS6 but the official VZW release seems stable.

As Pink suggests, update your PRL and if the problem persists, a call to CS might be in order. Reboot after the PRL update. Also, make sure your Mobile Network is set to 1XEV: Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Network Technology. Change from Global to 1XEV. Welcome to CB.

I am curious as to what the purpose/benefit of changing network options to 1XEV as appose to global, please explain. Thanks
    02-16-11 06:11 PM
    I am curious as to what the purpose/benefit of changing network options to 1XEV as appose to global, please explain. Thanks
    Primarily for battery life. That's the only reason I've ever been aware of. If you travel and leave the USA, switch it back to Global.
    adamhusband likes this.
    02-16-11 06:36 PM
    As previoiusly stated, it can be beneficial to battery life. Why? The signal seems to be more stable in that the device is only searching for a signal on the CDMA network and excluding GSM in the signal search that the Global selection would have provided. More stable signal = better battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    adamhusband and TJC70 like this.
    02-16-11 09:34 PM
    And, being a world phone, you can put your Bold into Global mode for travelling abroad. Get that 9650 unlocked and you're ready to go.

02-16-11 09:40 PM
    thanks for the responses. Just did *228 option 2. Haven't done that since I have had the BB. Also rebooted.

thanks- GeO
    Geo, FWIW, I reboot every morning just for grins and have very little issue with anything ever. I'm not going to stop now. I've always done it this way. I figure, can't hurt and takes all of 3 minutes. (alt/right shift/del) 3 key method.
    02-17-11 12:00 AM
    I never knew this. I have seen the setting but Sprint set it up that way and I never knew to change it.I just assumed that was the setting Sprint preferred. Does it really save battery? Not that I am complaining about battery life!
    02-17-11 10:10 PM
    Geo, FWIW, I reboot every morning just for grins and have very little issue with anything ever. I'm not going to stop now. I've always done it this way. I figure, can't hurt and takes all of 3 minutes. (alt/right shift/del) 3 key method.
    1+ However, I do the battery pull. Is this the same as alt/right shift/del?
    02-17-11 10:25 PM
    I never knew this. I have seen the setting but Sprint set it up that way and I never knew to change it.I just assumed that was the setting Sprint preferred. Does it really save battery? Not that I am complaining about battery life!
    Mine came from Sprint set to 1XEV, I changed it to global thinking I might get better coverage in areas where Sprint was weak. I didn't really, and it did run my battry down faster. Now I leave it on 1XEV and use WiFi when I can. I love my phone, but I do think the battery life could be better. my 9700 didnt run down nearly as fast as my 9650 does.
    02-17-11 11:01 PM
    issue happened again just now on an incoming call at 6:30am ET...I could hear the wife fine, but not the other way. The alt-right shift delete button a lot quicker than a battery pull. Sucker is booting now. Was thinking about downgrading to OS5, but me thinks a daily restart might just be in order. The one way voice thing is happening twice a day now. That can't be normal under most circumstances.

thanks
    02-18-11 05:56 AM
    I also reboot every morning out of habit and necessity.I lose approx 20mb a day in memory. I'm running 6.0.0.415 (sprint official). I've tried everything to stop the leak but nothing worked so I'm just dealing with it til another official Sprint os6 comes out.
    02-18-11 08:19 AM
    I also reboot every morning out of habit and necessity.I lose approx 20mb a day in memory. I'm running 6.0.0.415 (sprint official). I've tried everything to stop the leak but nothing worked so I'm just dealing with it til another official Sprint os6 comes out.
    spencer, i also have a mem leak, loosing about 20-30mb per day i've never had to reboot my device daily until now, this is a whole new animal to me, but i love OS6 so i deal with it also. I'm on Vzw's .431 btw.

As for the call issue, I had it happen to me yesterday for the first time on OS6. I'm hoping this won't become a habit, like i did say in my original post, I got my Bold in Dec. between then and Feb I had that call issue about 3x's. then i upgraded to OS6 the begin of Feb, and it just happened yesterday.
    02-18-11 08:32 AM
    As a general rule, you should not have to reboot daily.
    This is true you should not have to reboot daily, I guess for me it's like waking up and washing the sleep off my face with cool water. I guess I look at it like waking up the bold with a fresh rebooted outlook on the day.
    I did it on 5 also. figured, what the hey, how can it hurt and might help.
    As mentioned a savings with battery life, but also after the bold was first released there was much discussion regarding the signal/drop call issue lots were having. Then someone said switch to 1XEV and it helps. Then someone carried this a step further and suggested removing the sim or flipping it would further help. I figured why have a sim in there making contact if I'm in the U.S.? So I've set my phone to 1XEV and removed the sim and found not only better battery life but better RF(more bars in more places), I'm all for getting rid of stuff that I'm not using, Don't need global,don't need sim, don't need all the crap that comes with the os, so I use a shrinker to dump it prior to installs. I feel these things make my bold more streamlined and lighter for a better overall experience. Could be the reason my bold works so well.

issue happened again just now on an incoming call at 6:30am ET...I could hear the wife fine, but not the other way. The alt-right shift delete button a lot quicker than a battery pull. Sucker is booting now. Was thinking about downgrading to OS5, but me thinks a daily restart might just be in order. The one way voice thing is happening twice a day now. That can't be normal under most circumstances.

thanks
    I've heard these one way calls could be radio caused and thats why someone on 5 is fine while someone on 6 has the issuer. I would suggest possibly trying a re-install of a different os. There are some selection to choose from. The 431 verizon is very solid. Are you with sprint or verizon. Either way you can install anything. There is much info on how to do this around. I would further suggest to try a hybrid os. There is one here:http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/6-...9330-a-580447/ that I'm using and it is excellent. These hybrids change frequently and get make overs often, but if I find one that works I'll stick to it.
    If your not comfortable doing this or just figure it's to much hassle, don't worry your not alone. A final and simpler option is to just walk into customer service and tell them your issue. Who knows. It might get you a refurbed bold. Good Luck!
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-18-11 at 09:42 AM.
    02-18-11 09:26 AM
    Again, thanks for all the replies. I rolled the OS back to 5 on my Verizon bold 9650. The battery seems to last a lot longer (using 1x on both) and more importantly I am no longer experiencing the issues with 1 way audio. It has been a week or so and I am able to hear and be heard on every call. I am liking the BB even more now. No more daily reboots. I was having to restart some days more than once when the callers were unable to hear me. As has been stated in some of the other threads, OS6 seems to have more cosmetic changes (ie theme differences) than performance or radio changes. The browser even seems to be snappier as well on 5. Hey, column view anyone?? :-) The one thing I miss is the way Searches worked, but hey compromise on this one issue is OK with me.

Geo
    02-27-11 07:58 PM
    Battery life with OS6 is a lot worse than OS5 in my personal experience. I always do a clean install of every OS I install and have the bare minimum of APs running. I reboot every other day now. Didn't have to do it with OS5 but I find my SMS threads are much snappier if I do it. As a whole I'm disappointed in OS6 but I won't go back to 5.
    02-27-11 08:21 PM

Thoughts? thanks
    It's usually not necessary to reboot daily unless you have an issue. Some people do reboot every morning to get a fresh start, I only reboot if needed.
    Try re-registering the device on the network. Go to device>advanced system settings>host routing table>menu button>register now. Also, *228 option 2. Good luck!
    02-27-11 08:33 PM
    Battery life with OS6 is a lot worse than OS5 in my personal experience. I always do a clean install of every OS I install and have the bare minimum of APs running. I reboot every other day now. Didn't have to do it with OS5 but I find my SMS threads are much snappier if I do it. As a whole I'm disappointed in OS6 but I won't go back to 5.
    Battery life on BB6 is actually a little better for me than it was on OS5, and everything runs smoother. It's interesting how this OS performs on different devices.
    02-27-11 08:37 PM
    Nothing uses battery life faster than rebooting does, lol. I only reboot when installing new app or OS, otherwise not necessary. I get better or at least same batt life on OS6 as OS5 with mobile network set to global and it makes no difference in battery life for me, but I always get great signal near my home and work.

02-27-11 09:19 PM
    Well, I decided I wanted to try OS6 again and jumped in on the .524 version. So far so good this time. No daily reboots. Everyone can hear me. Battery life seems to be better than using the Verizon stock 6 ver. So if you have been having issues with OS6, try the 524 one and you might have better luck as well.

Geo
    04-29-11 12:28 PM
    I had OS6 (.524) installed again for a grand total of maybe 4 days and couldn't stand it anymore. Battery life some days was great and other days horrible with no programs running. Back to OS5 for now. Here is a comparison of battery life on two days with minimal texting, several emails and one or 2 calls.

5/5/2011 OS6
    time battery %
    4:30am 100
    7:30am 45
    7:37am 38
    8:00am 27

5/6/2011 OS5
    time battery %
    4:30am 100
    7:08am 96
    9:20am 90
    9:30am 90
    Last edited by geomun; 05-06-11 at 08:34 AM.
    05-06-11 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD