I downgraded back to 5 for one reason only: the Calendar. The OS6 calendar view (day) will not scroll left/right correctly. You have to "swipe" to move days. I feel this was designed for the touchscreen Torch, as it does NOT work well for the trackpad Bold.

After reading the forums, I tried changing to agenda view, but had my share of problems with that also...like scheduling meetings at 2AM rather than 2PM.

Just my two cents, but it was enough of a dealbreaker for me to return to OS5. I use my BB 90% for business and spend a TON of time in the calendar.

I hope RIM fixes this in 6.1 so I can return to OS6...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-11 08:49 AM
    I have no problems with the calendar, but I use it different from you. My calendar stays in "Week" view. I have a theme that displays my first/next 6 appointments and tasks for the day on my home screen.

The key to OS6 is identifying the new functions you really like and finding fixes for the issues you have. If you don't like the OS6 calendar, there are other options.
    itsdollar likes this.
    02-15-11 09:11 AM
    +1 on using the Week view and scrolling between days to see appointments, etc.
    02-15-11 12:06 PM
    I downgraded back to 5 for one reason only: the Calendar. The OS6 calendar view (day) will not scroll left/right correctly. You have to "swipe" to move days. I feel this was designed for the touchscreen Torch, as it does NOT work well for the trackpad Bold.

Just my two cents, but it was enough of a dealbreaker for me to return to OS5. I use my BB 90% for business and spend a TON of time in the calendar.
    I agree about the swiping issues. And related to that, the newly sized view/perspective on the calendar drives me crazy, whether on Week or Day view. I much prefer seeing more of the day at once. And I miss the note on the screen that used to summarize the Free Time during any day. I realize that everyone has their own preferences and workarounds, I'm a heavy calendar user and have personally been disappointed with the changes -- just one more thing that has me planning to switch back to 5 after about a month on 6 and trying to make myself like it and find it more useful than 5 (but so far I've not had much luck in doing so). Oh well, I still dig using my BB overall, it's just that 5 is proving to be a more user friendly OS for me personally.
    03-03-11 11:39 AM
    I agree, the new calendar is really bad and I have to use it a lot. For that reason alone I will probably switch back. Does anyone have any suggestions on 3rd party apps?

03-03-11 02:40 PM
    I don't have a problem with the calendar. My default screen is month view.
    03-04-11 12:16 AM
    No problems either - I typically use the Agenda view - no prob setting new meetings as it follows my settings and time frames - thx to you guys just realized and like the Week view!
    03-06-11 12:31 PM
    I use agenda view without free time shown and it works just like 5.0

I have 2 wishes for future releases:

1) The ability to have 2 calendars, personal & business
    2) The ability to assign filter by category to an appointment like I do in Outlook. It can be done with contacts but not in calendar yet.
    03-06-11 05:26 PM
    I agree, the new calendar is really bad and I have to use it a lot. For that reason alone I will probably switch back. Does anyone have any suggestions on 3rd party apps?

I use CalendarPro and I'm very happy with it.
    03-06-11 09:17 PM
    No problems either - I typically use the Agenda view - no prob setting new meetings as it follows my settings and time frames - thx to you guys just realized and like the Week view!
    I was a straight Agenda view user from OS 5, but I rather dig the Weekly view now too.

Thanks for the tip guys!
    03-06-11 09:29 PM
    I just upgraded last night. The battery has really gone down quickly today, and I really hate the calendar daily view. I like having a theme with the correct date on the calendar, larger icons, and with a weather slot. Haven't found a theme with all of that yet.
    Thanks for the tip on the weekly view--I can work with that for a while until RIM fixes os6.
    03-08-11 10:43 PM
    It's not unusual to see heavy battery drain for the first day or two (or even three) after installing an OS. I install hybrids...a lot of hybrids...and there's usually a 'break-in' period after the OS is installed.
    03-09-11 08:02 AM
    I use CalendarPro and I'm very happy with it.
    I've been a Blackberry user for 5 years and have always liked them, but I have to say this. When I'm in monthly view and hover over (or scroll to highlight) a day where I have a calendar item, there is no preview pane which pops up and gives me the first few lines of the text I have entered for that appointment. This is just dumb. AAPL would never make this error (at least I don't think they would) and Calendar Pro above allows it.

How do they not include something so obviously efficient?
    03-14-11 06:03 AM
    I don't care for the new one either. one question since we are on the calendar issue. is there a way to have a way to view which days have a task 's or alerts?
    on month view my calendar is just blank days. i have to click on a day and scroll through it to see if there is anything posted on any hour, i have to guess which days have and occurrence? am I missing something? I miss my old Nokia calendar. the month view would have dots all over each day that has something going on. my Bold 9000 had very samll ones, this OS 6 has nothing telling me there is a post?

I just realized that the agenda view gets rid of the need for dots on the calendar view.so guess that is the trade off. one or the other. I usually like the month view but wqould like my dots on them also.`
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 03-15-11 at 07:48 PM.
    03-15-11 07:18 PM
    [QUOTE=tcseacliff;6135482]one question since we are on the calendar issue. is there a way to have a way to view which days have a task 's or alerts?
    on month view my calendar is just blank days. i have to click on a day and scroll through it to see if there is anything posted on any hour, i have to guess which days have and occurrence? am I missing something? I miss my old Nokia calendar. the month view would have dots all over each day that has something going on. my Bold 9000 had very samll ones, this OS 6 has nothing telling me there is a post? [QUOTE]

I was on OS6 for a month before switching back to 5.975, but I don't recall the 6 Month View totally lacking any indication of daiy activity, and that seems like the kind of thing I definitely would have remembered since it would have been totally silly for RIM to have removed that (and I was already annoyed by their other Calendar changes so it would have been added to my list of dislikes). For reference, the OS5 calendar shows various dots and blocks on each day to indicate activities (and roughly where in the day they fall and whether it's a short or long item -- similar to the way it sounds like your Nokia calendar worked. Maybe something happened during your conversion to OS6 that makes the Month view not work like it should, or maybe others currently on 6 will confirm what the 6 Calendar shows.
    03-16-11 06:33 PM
    I am surprised by all the complaints I see about OS6. I find it 100 times better than OS5 ever was. I love the calendar in OS6. I suppose everyone has different preferences.
    03-16-11 06:59 PM
    from my home screen ,when I click the calendar icon and the month view comes up, just think it is odd not to see which days have activity.the whole month is just a clean calendar. I can just click the agenda to see , just thought it was strange. I can live with it.
    03-16-11 08:31 PM
    I can see all of my activity in the month view on OS 6.
    03-16-11 08:32 PM
    then mine is not right. it has been this way since new (9800 torch). when I put an alarm or task, i cannot see them on the native calender. you see only a calendar. I have to click on a day and scroll through it to see if there is anything there. so the only way to see quickly is the agenda view. guess I have a glitch. am running the 486,but that has not fixed this issue. weird . I have recurrign alarms on my months , but by looking at my native calendar you would not know it.
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 03-16-11 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-16-11 08:41 PM
    my problem with the calendar is that I use it for scheduled items (like a day planner) and I use it as my to do list (with all day items). On the day view it won't collapse any hour that doesn't have an item scheduled. I set the day start time to be 12p and end time to be 1p but it still shows every hour (most of 'em are blank because I haven't scheduled anything in them). It also collapses the unscheduled items (my version of the to do list) so that you only see one item. I can scroll up and see all of the items. On OS 5 it would collapse any time(s) without a scheduled item and if no or very few items were scheduled that day, it would show my whole to do list.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!
    04-03-11 11:43 AM
    I've got two users with the calendar complaint. It only shows 4 hours of the day and its the killer app they use constantly. I'm really surprised there's not more customization available in the Calendar views
    04-03-11 01:32 PM
    Just upgraded to os6 on my AT&T 9700. What's with the black pop-up that appears in Calendar when you put the curser over an event? I see no reason for it...the information is redundant. Can I set the calendar so the pop-up doesn't pop?

Thanks, Jim
    05-03-11 10:32 AM
    Another annoying thing about the OS6 calendar is that it doesn't show the week number.
    05-04-11 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD