I hate the fact that you CANNOT dial a phone number directly from the homescreen. The FIRST number you press brings up the universal search. I now am forced to hit the SEND button THEN dial the number. A quite uneccessarily ANNOYING step.

Any way to fix this without removing universal search?
    02-14-11 03:40 PM
    Yep, already threads posted about this, just type the phone number you want to call from the home screen and the numbers appear under the search box, then hit the green SEND button to dial the number. This only works if you have the home screen preferences set to "Universal Search" and not "Application Shortcuts" though.
    02-14-11 03:47 PM
    Mine shows the corresponding letters for the numbers in the search bar, but the numbers show up just below search bar with the phone icon. If I dial 555 ddd appears in search bar, but it says 'Dial:555' just below it.
    02-14-11 03:50 PM
    So to sum things up, you can still dial from the homescreen, it just takes the tiniest bit of scrolling.
    02-14-11 03:52 PM
    Let your phone do the dialing. Use Speed Dial or Voice Dial. These are two nice features built into your smart phone and a lot easier than pushing a bunch of numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 04:00 PM
    i have no prob's with dialing on 0s 6, i dial the same way i use to on 0s5 straight from the home screen, the universal search comes up but it doesn't matter just keep dialing the # it shows both # and letters but just hit send when u finish
    02-14-11 04:04 PM
    So to sum things up, you can still dial from the homescreen, it just takes the tiniest bit of scrolling.
    Nope, no scrolling at all, just type phone number, hit send.

And yes, as i_hiker suggested, I use Speed Dial and Voice Activated Dialing because I have the "Application Shortcut" setting as my preference.
    02-14-11 04:07 PM
    I have the same issue as whorida31. Mine worked fine on OS5. On OS6 it is a theme issue. When using the BB OS6 theme it works fine. But on the Simple Elegan6 theme it skips the first number entered (enters the alpha but not the first numeric). That is the answer to the issue.
    02-14-11 07:41 PM
    i have no prob's with dialing on 0s 6, i dial the same way i use to on 0s5 straight from the home screen, the universal search comes up but it doesn't matter just keep dialing the # it shows both # and letters but just hit send when u finish
    ^ This.

I find that while dialing, it's bringing up universal search items, but it's also recording the phone # being typed. Hit SEND at the end of typing and it behaves just as before. No additional scrolling required.
    02-14-11 07:51 PM
    Dialing from the home screen works fine. Dial the number and hit send as usual.!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 09:32 PM
    There's an easy solution to this:
    1) Hit the GREEN PHONE icon FIRST
    2) Type in name and call
    02-15-11 02:43 AM
    Nope, no scrolling at all, just type phone number, hit send.

And yes, as i_hiker suggested, I use Speed Dial and Voice Activated Dialing because I have the "Application Shortcut" setting as my preference.
    Mike, how many times you gotta post this? Wish people could use search effectively, no?
    You're gonna have to get it tattooed on ur forehead!
    LOL
    Thanks for the info...again!!!!!
    02-15-11 07:01 AM
    I hate the fact that you CANNOT dial a phone number directly from the homescreen. The FIRST number you press brings up the universal search. I now am forced to hit the SEND button THEN dial the number. A quite uneccessarily ANNOYING step.

Dial from home works. Just dial the number and press send. If you look under the search bar it even says DIAL: ########## SEND

No scrolling is necessary.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 02-15-11 at 07:34 AM.
    02-15-11 07:29 AM
    I have the same issue as whorida31. Mine worked fine on OS5. On OS6 it is a theme issue. When using the BB OS6 theme it works fine. But on the Simple Elegan6 theme it skips the first number entered (enters the alpha but not the first numeric). That is the answer to the issue.
    I 2nd this!

When using the BB stock OS6 theme, you can dial the numbers and hit send.

However, when using any other theme (other than stock BB OS6), what I do is hit the 1st number twice because I believe the themes have shortcuts within them... for example:
    I would dial from home screen: 5555-5555 then hit send.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    02-15-11 12:14 PM
    There's an easy solution to this:
    1) Hit the GREEN PHONE icon FIRST
    2) Type in name and call
    No, you see, that is the OP's problem, they do not want to press the GREEN PHONE button twice (I know, gawd forbid) to make a call.

@JD, don't know why I bother most of the time, just bored at work again I suppose. LOL
    02-15-11 12:21 PM
    On OS6 it is a theme issue. When using the BB OS6 theme it works fine. But on the Simple Elegan6 theme it skips the first number entered (enters the alpha but not the first numeric).
    Try going to Options > Device > Application Management. Scroll down and highlight your theme. Press Menu > Edit Permissions. Change all to Allow. Save and exit. This should fix the first number issue.
    02-15-11 12:45 PM
    Try going to Options > Device > Application Management. Scroll down and highlight your theme. Press Menu > Edit Permissions. Change all to Allow. Save and exit. This should fix the first number issue.
    I tried this using 3rd party themes and it didn't work. I still have to dial the extra 1st digit.
    02-15-11 12:54 PM
    I tried this using 3rd party themes and it didn't work. I still have to dial the extra 1st digit.
    Still messing around with this. It worked...then I rebooted. Now it does not work. All permissions still say Allow. I use Speed Dial and Voice Dial most of the time so it really isn't an issue for me.

The fact that it worked...then it didn't, tells me this is NOT an OS6 issue, rather a theme issue or a glitch in the theme builder software.
    02-15-11 01:07 PM
    Still messing around with this. It worked...then I rebooted. Now it does not work. All permissions still say Allow. I use Speed Dial and Voice Dial most of the time so it really isn't an issue for me.

The fact that it worked...then it didn't, tells me this is NOT an OS6 issue, rather a theme issue or a glitch in the theme builder software.

I tend to agree with you there!! As dialing works fine when using the stock OS6 theme (at least with me it works fine).
    02-15-11 01:14 PM

The theme builder software is still in crappy beta so I would blame it on the software.
    02-15-11 01:51 PM

Finally the answer I was looking for. Now we need a NON stock theme WITHOUT this problem!
    02-15-11 08:06 PM
    I'm wondering if there is a NON stock theme WITHOUT shortcuts built into it... if that would make difference.

I assume the stock theme does not have any shortcuts and dialing works fine for me on the Stock theme.
    02-16-11 03:43 PM
    Finally the answer I was looking for. Now we need a NON stock theme WITHOUT this problem!
    Oh I see, you are having a problem with a 3rd party theme that you installed, not a problem with OS6 at all then, so you have a pet peeve with someone that made a theme using the buggy beta theme builder software, well that is a different story all together in itself then.
    02-16-11 04:16 PM
    It's posts like these that remind me why I don't use themes. Why ask for trouble??

Interesting how that key bit of information was left out of the OP.
    02-16-11 04:23 PM
    [QUOTE=pcgizmo;6058813]It's posts like these that remind me why I don't use themes. Why ask for trouble??

First, not only is my theme trouble free, it makes my device a better work tool and eliminates the awkward trays. The home screen dialing glitch that most 3rd party themes (including the BGT ZenCalendar I use) seem to have does not affect me as I usually dial by Voice or Speed Dial. There are two easy work arounds for the rare times I dial from the home screen...NO TROUBLE!

I could just as easily say to you "Why ask for trouble??" with all the leaked OS loads you go through. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the effort of those (you included) who jump on all the leaks and hybrids and keep us informed of their ability to function on our devices. What you do there would be a royal pain for me but you seem to have the time and patience for it. Thanks!

I come and go from this site, depending on how involved I am with my business. When I have the time, I don't mind helping to get to the bottom of an issue, even if it is a non-issue for me. I become more knowledgeable about my device in doing so. My Bold is both a work tool and a hobby. I put a small amount of effort into learning my device so it can best suit my needs. After all, a smart phone is only as smart as the person using it.

Finally, we're all individuals here, have different comfort levels, and different skills. What might look like trouble to you, is no trouble for another.
    02-17-11 07:06 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD