I've been hearing that Verizon has "hidden costs" when you buy the iPhone from them. Something about 2 different levels of insurance costs and other billing costs other than the data plan.

Anyone know of these?
    02-13-11 10:34 AM
    Insurance choices are $1.99 Extended Warranty, $9 for Ausrion, and $10 for Full Protection. Only other cost is Tax on top of the phone and the $29.99 data plan.
    02-13-11 11:05 AM
    Insurance choices are $1.99 Extended Warranty, $9 for Ausrion, and $10 for Full Protection. Only other cost is Tax on top of the phone and the $29.99 data plan.
    Asurion for my BB 9650 was $6/month. So there's a hidden cost right there.
    02-13-11 01:06 PM
    Its not hidden if they are telling you ..... That makes no sense. And insurance is different from phone to phone. They are not going to insure a $400 device for the same amount as a $750 device.

Its no different than it costing different to insure a Dodge Omni or vs Camaro. You dont pay the same on those, do you?
    Teek and scorpiodsu like this.
    02-13-11 02:27 PM
    No, there aren't any. READ THE FINE PRINT and even the news stories about the changes Verizon has put in place FOR ALL SMARTPHONES starting this year. It goes something like this.

Asurion insurance went up for all smartphones and new customers activating on Verizon will no longer be enrolled in NE2 promotion, only preexisting customers can keep the NE2 promotion on their accounts after upgrading. Basically, Verizon jacked up their prices for services on smartphones, even the ETFs went up. I don't think they're playing favorites here at all. Buy an Android handset and the costs are the same for the same features.

Here's a Plus though. VVM is included FREE with the iPhone (I was surprised by this a little, but it was probably Apple that forced their hand) while Storm users have to pay an extra monthly fee for VVM.
    02-13-11 03:15 PM
    No, there aren't any. READ THE FINE PRINT and even the news stories about the changes Verizon has put in place FOR ALL SMARTPHONES starting this year. It goes something like this.

Asurion insurance went up for all smartphones
    Assurion went down on VZW. iPhone and tablets are $9/mo all other smartphones are $5.18/mo

Verizon is Dropping Prices on Equipment Protection Plans - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...-plans-581356/
    02-13-11 07:57 PM
    What is vvm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-11 07:59 PM
    VVM = Visual Voice Mail

There are free sources of VVM also.

I use Google Voice and it works good, the transcription is not always the most accurate though, but it works.
    02-13-11 08:15 PM
    Yeah and the insurance on my Lexus costs more than the insurance on my wife's honda.... shocker

You guys to do realize that insuring a device like the iPhone costs more because it's worth more? There's a reason they give blackberries away but iPhone prices stay the same. Go on squaretrade and get a 2 year protection plan on your blackberry. Might cost you 60 bucks. Try it for the iPhone.... $99. Should we be that surprised?
    02-14-11 09:59 AM
    Atleast verizon is offering insurance on iphone, with att there was no insurance so if you lost or broke your phone you'd have to pay full retail or add a line. At 10 a month for insurance I think I'd just go without it and it and add a line if something happened.
    02-14-11 10:28 AM
    Atleast verizon is offering insurance on iphone, with att there was no insurance so if you lost or broke your phone you'd have to pay full retail or add a line. At 10 a month for insurance I think I'd just go without it and it and add a line if something happened.
    I believe AT&T is offering insurance on it now but they didn't for the first few years. There's was like 13.99 when they first started offering. Not sure what it is now. But I think a lot had largely to do with the company backing the insurance and Apple with applecare.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 02-14-11 at 11:40 AM.
    02-14-11 11:35 AM

Asurion insurance went up for all smartphones and new customers activating on Verizon will no longer be enrolled in NE2 promotion, only preexisting customers can keep the NE2 promotion on their accounts after upgrading. Basically, Verizon jacked up their prices for services on smartphones, even the ETFs went up. I don't think they're playing favorites here at all. Buy an Android handset and the costs are the same for the same features.

Here's a Plus though. VVM is included FREE with the iPhone (I was surprised by this a little, but it was probably Apple that forced their hand) while Storm users have to pay an extra monthly fee for VVM.
    I was using "hidden" in the sense of not readily apparent, not in the sense of you can't figure it out by reading the fine print. Thanks for the lecture though.
    02-14-11 02:51 PM
    Just got the Iphone 4 yesterday and still not sure Im going to like it I will keep trying though just like i did a million years ago when I started using my BB.
    But @ the Verizon service counter when the guy asked me about insurance and explained the rates went up to $11.99 per month for the 32 gig iphone I was like...What!! And then he said well then you dont want to know that your deductible will be $199 for the iphone!! I really choked. Ive never NOT had insurance on my phone or any phone for my kids but I did walk out that door with the 32 gig Iphone 4 with no insurance!!
    Hidden cost?????maybe not because they did tell me what they were going to be but yes they did change!!
    02-15-11 08:23 AM
    I just think its unrealistic for people to expect to pay the same amount on inusrance or even a deductible on a $800 phone when its $7.50 a month and $100 Deduc for a $450 phone. Its STILL cheaper than breaking your iPhone and buying a new one. But I guess thats just me.
    02-15-11 10:06 AM
    I believe AT&T is offering insurance on it now but they didn't for the first few years. There's was like 13.99 when they first started offering. Not sure what it is now. But I think a lot had largely to do with the company backing the insurance and Apple with applecare.
    AT&T doesn't offer insurance on the iPhone. You have to download an insurance app called Mobile Protect (it's $11.99/month) and it bills directly to your credit card , it has nothing to do with AT&T.
    02-15-11 10:18 AM
    Just got the Iphone 4 yesterday and still not sure Im going to like it I will keep trying though just like i did a million years ago when I started using my BB.
    But @ the Verizon service counter when the guy asked me about insurance and explained the rates went up to $11.99 per month for the 32 gig iphone I was like...What!! And then he said well then you dont want to know that your deductible will be $199 for the iphone!! I really choked. Ive never NOT had insurance on my phone or any phone for my kids but I did walk out that door with the 32 gig Iphone 4 with no insurance!!
    Hidden cost?????maybe not because they did tell me what they were going to be but yes they did change!!
    add it to you homeowers/renters ins policy... I did on mine, insured for full retails + tax ... cost me additional 35 bucks a year no deduct

check into it
    02-15-11 10:20 AM
    Good idea, but I can also see my policy increasing next year and I would be pissed if it did that over a phone. You still have to pay your HOI deductible dont you?
    02-15-11 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD