Having trouble updating the PRL on an alltel 8830. I updated the prl 2-3 times in my home area since I bought the phone last fall, but I never bothered to see if it actually updated. The phone shows prl 30031 which seems way behind the current 400xx

I'm outside my home area for the summer, but am on alltel towers according to tech support. They tell me I should be able to update the prl when on an alltel tower using *228. Despite trying this a number of times, the prl remains exactly the same -- 30031. TS also tells me they aren't able to push it to me either..

I won't be back home til mid-Sept. It's an issue because I don't get EVDO in a lot of cities, sometimes dropping to 1x, necessitating a batt pull to get back to 1X. And forget about tethering!

Suggestions anyone, beyond dealing with it til I get home?
    08-04-08 02:31 PM
    Call CS and do a warranty Exchange By Mail if you're still in your first year of owning the phone...you might just have an issue with the phone...they can have the replacement sent to where you are...and when you get it - do a back-up of your current phone with Desktop Manager and restore to the new one before you send the old one in.
    08-04-08 06:07 PM
    yeah, that may end up being what I'll do. I called with tech support for the 3rd time. This one recommended a full wipe of the phone after backing up phone and 3rd party apps. He said if that doesn't solve the problem, then exch by mail, which would be phone #2.

Thanks for the response!
    08-04-08 08:31 PM
    Hmm I'm still on 30031 too. Is there a way to manually update the prl on the curve?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 10:36 AM
    Cube, not sure what you mean by manually update...It is something you have to do yourself; alltel can't push it automatically to you. Dial *228 then select option 2. The prl will only update if you are on an alltel tower, preferable in your home area.

If that doesn't work, try *22800, then select update option. Let me know how you fare.
    08-06-08 11:10 AM
    Cube, how old's your curve?
    08-06-08 11:39 AM
    Call into Customer service ask to speak with Advanced Tech PRLs can be push IF you are on a Alltel Tower. if that fails the phone would need to be replaced.
    08-06-08 01:27 PM
    My curve is less than a month old... I've done the *228 in my home area. Maybe they just haven't put that PRL up in my area yet?

By manually, I mean placing the PRL on my phone from my computer like I did with the PPC6800. It should be possible...

I'd really like the new PRL too because it would give me EVDO in the area I'm always in since Sprint seems to dominate this area.
    08-06-08 06:26 PM
    Good to know that an Adv Tech can push the prl on an alltel tower. All three techs I talked to said it couldn't be done. I'd rather exch by mail before doing a clean wipe of the phone and reloading everything. On second thought, that'd be a good opportunity to upgrade to OS 4.5. Hmm, feed my hankering for 4.5, or get some sleep...tough call!
    08-06-08 07:23 PM
    Surprised your curve came with that old a prl. A friend exchanged his 8830 by mail in May and got factory new with prl 400xx loaded on it. Go figure...
    08-06-08 07:28 PM
    I was under the impression the PRL gets loaded on the phone when they activate it for you in the store. Could be wrong though.

So all you guys with 8330's on alltel are using a 400xx PRL? Or is it just the 8830?

08-06-08 10:29 PM
    The PRL for any BB should be 40036.
    08-07-08 02:49 PM
    Typically when you activate your phone via *228, it dials into a system and based on your MIN/ESN it will push the correct PRL. It sounds to me like they your ESN loaded incorrectly, causing you to always get the wrong PRL. I would say call Advanced Tech and have them open a ticket to have it fixed. Should not have anything to do with your BlackBerry as long as it receives text messages fine.
    08-09-08 07:48 PM
    That sounds like a plan. Can anyone give me the number for advanced tech support?

08-09-08 10:02 PM
    I believe you just have to call 611 and just ask if your at advanced tech from your phone. Tell them you've tried numerous times to update your PRL but keep getting the wrong one. This same thing happened to my Alltel data card and they were able to get it fixed.
    Last edited by whitcd; 08-09-08 at 10:31 PM.
    08-09-08 10:21 PM
    the 30000 series are regular EVDO phones, the 40000 series PRL's are for datacards and I think the treo....it's a special permissions fix for Rev A. roaming on sprint. (my understanding was the treos wouldn't roam on sprint when there was Rev A, wouldn't accept the slower speeds which caused major issues in areas where sprint owned the majority of the area)

30031 is the CORRECT PRL for all blackberries......
    08-10-08 12:16 PM
    No, it's not. The correct PRL for all smart phones - including BBs - and Data cards is 40036.
    08-10-08 04:16 PM
    not ALL smartphones are on 40K though, , my 6800 WM5 is still 30K and my wife's 8130 is still on 30K as well.......

according to alltel's info page for retail reps, the curve's the only 40K series PRL, the newest for the other two are still 30K....

::EDIT::
    actually, after *228'ing the wife's pearl, it's on 40K too, perhaps it'd be easier if they'd update that lovely info page we're supposed to go off of.....
    Last edited by dhyde79; 08-10-08 at 09:01 PM.
    08-10-08 08:58 PM
    40036 - Data Cards, BlackBerry, Treos to allow EVDO roaming
    30031 - Smartphones, other EVDO devices w/ non-EVDO roaming

You can of course update your PRL manually on the WM device through the EPST.
    08-10-08 09:30 PM
    Ok I spoke to an alltel tech on the phone and he instructed me to bring my phone into a retail store where they are able to manually flash the 40036 prl. Hopefully that will work since the nearest alltel store is over an hour away.

08-11-08 06:22 PM
    VictoryCube: call the store before you go and make sure they are really capable of loading a PRL to a BB at that store...if they can, great. I'm not aware that very many stores are capable loading PRLs to BBs.
    08-11-08 07:51 PM
    VictoryCube: call the store before you go and make sure they are really capable of loading a PRL to a BB at that store...if they can, great. I'm not aware that very many stores are capable loading PRLs to BBs.
    When I went into an Alltel retail store last week to see if they could load the prl, I just got blank stares and was directed to a landline to call tech support. At that time I didn't know to ask for an advanced tech.
    08-11-08 09:58 PM
    don't go to retail stores, according to the IT guy that services our area, we're explicitly prohibited from installing anything to deal with the smartphones at the retail stores, while he may not be right, I have a bad feeling that there's more out there that get told the same as we do, than the opposite.

when it comes to talking to tech, if it's not DTS (Data Technical Support) or Advanced Data Tech, if they tell you to go to a retail store, ask for advanced tech, if it is, ask them to leave a note in the account explaining what the retail store needs to do, in case they haven't got a clue what is being talked about.
    08-11-08 11:54 PM
    Ok well I went into an alltel store hoping to be able to flash the newest prl. They couldn't. Luckily my rep was knowledgable and listened when I said that my phone really should have 40036. So he ended up calling adv tech after I suggested it (thx for the idea guys) and they flagged my phone for update. It updated overnight on its own and I now get EVDO!

08-19-08 12:33 PM
    Also, interesting side note I asked my rep if I need to add the 10 buck tethering plan to tether. He said that if I figured it out on my own I wouldn't need to pay since I already have unlimited internet on my phone! He said basically that when u pay for tethering you're just paying for tech support! Good news for me since I bluetooth modem my phone with my laptop a bunch. We'll find out for sure though on my next bill.

08-19-08 12:36 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD