Don't think I'm a hater in anyway. I love my BB and I will most likely be getting a PB

The thing I am seeing from this HP presentation is that they are releasing 2 new phones along side their Tablet. I think this is a very smart move because they can make them work together very well (Touch-to-Share). RIM is currently behind with their phones. The only one that is even close to being up-to-date is the Torch (which I have and love) and that was kind of behind when it was released last August. If RIM was releasing one of their next gen phones at the same time as the PB, I think they would greatly compliment each other.
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 02-09-11 at 01:45 PM.
    makaveli28 and beamolite like this.
    02-09-11 01:19 PM
    02-09-11 01:23 PM
    RIM has some big hitters scheduled for spring and summer release.

I don't see anything that HP/Palm announced ground shattering, same pre like phones written FAIL all over it basically their key-boards suck big time and with such small screens I really doubt if they think they can complete against the existing crop and the exception being their tablet which might see success because of HP's marketing and existing retailer partnerships.
    02-09-11 01:25 PM
    RIM has some big hitters scheduled for spring and summer release.

I don't see anything that HP/Palm announced ground shattering, same pre like phones written FAIL all over it basically their key-boards suck big time and with such small screens I really doubt if they think they can complete against the existing crop.
    I wasn't talking about the hardware, more so about the fact that they will be released around the same time.

With RIMs strategy to target this to BlackBerry owners primarily (I'm not dumb like a lot of people here, I know how useful the PB is even without a BB) it would have been nice to have a couple fresh phones releasing along side of it.

I'm really not trying to knock RIM, just saying they really could have nailed it if they had a new powerful phone ready!
    02-09-11 01:29 PM
    But what makes you think it would be successful to launch several products at the same time? Most companies do everything they can to avoid launching several products at once.
    02-09-11 01:34 PM
    But what makes you think it would be successful to launch several products at the same time? Most companies do everything they can to avoid launching several products at once.
    Not a bad point, but I think a phone that works with a Tablet could be a good sell. People will buy phones when their contracts are up and some others don't care about the contract. By releasing a new enticing phone along side the PB, I think RIM would be enticing those people looking for new phones to consider the new BB when they may not have without the PB in the picture.

Hey, I'm not marketer, it just seems to me to be a good idea.
    02-09-11 01:36 PM
    Um sorry HP launching new phones with this is not doing something right. Besides like others are saying we've got Blackberry's in the pipeline that are going to be sweet, not the QNX ones yet, but some NEW phones will coincide with the cellular Playbooks.
    02-09-11 01:38 PM
    The Pre's are lousy phones, so who cares if they launch with the tablet? It was a dismal failure before, (the Pre) and it will continue to be a failure. Bad build quality, smallish screens....it wasn't long before the Pre was free on Verizon. And then Verizon tried to sweeten the pot by giving new Pre owners free Hotspot service. They STILL didn't sell.
    02-09-11 01:39 PM
    What really jumped out at me was VPN.

I haven't heard of the PlayBook having VPN, and it prides themselves on Enterprise.
    02-09-11 01:41 PM
    Um sorry HP launching new phones with this is not doing something right. Besides like others are saying we've got Blackberry's in the pipeline that are going to be sweet, not the QNX ones yet, but some NEW phones will coincide with the cellular Playbooks.
    But how many average consumers know about the leaked phones coming out around summer time?
    02-09-11 01:42 PM
    Probably however many average consumers own a Blackberry and post here, so yeah good point.
    02-09-11 01:45 PM
    Take my parents for example. They are in the 60s and both own a BB because they thought my Tour was cool. They will both be eligible for an upgrade around summer time. Now, they will most likely be getting a new BlackBerry, but if they go into the verizon store and see this cool new Tablet and a new phone that works in a neat innovative way with the Tablet, my parents could easily be lored away from their BlackBerrys.

I'm just using that as an example. And my original point is that people will be in the same situation when the PB is released, and they may have been able to lore some extra people to BlackBerry if they had a two headed attack.
    02-09-11 01:50 PM
    I wasn't talking about the hardware, more so about the fact that they will be released around the same time.

With RIMs strategy to target this to BlackBerry owners primarily (I'm not dumb like a lot of people here, I know how useful the PB is even without a BB) it would have been nice to have a couple fresh phones releasing along side of it.

I'm really not trying to knock RIM, just saying they really could have nailed it if they had a new powerful phone ready!
    yes I agree and I wish RIM would have done so but I see RIM's point that they might have wanted only the PB to be in the limelight.
    02-09-11 01:50 PM
    But how many average consumers know about the leaked phones coming out around summer time?
    Given that MWC starts next week, I think it is pretty likely that those phones stop being leaks very soon and before the launch of the pb too.
    02-09-11 01:51 PM
    Given that MWC starts next week, I think it is pretty likely that those phones stop being leaks very soon and before the launch of the pb too.
    Well, lets see. I certainly hope so! With the misconception out there that one needs a BB to use the PB, RIM better get some powerful BB's in the back of peoples minds.
    02-09-11 01:56 PM
    Don't think I'm a hater in anyway. I love my BB and I will most likely be getting a PB

The thing I am seeing from this HP presentation is that they are releasing 2 new phones along side their Tablet. I think this is a very smart move because they can make them work together very well (Touch-to-Share). RIM is currently behind with their phones. The only one that is even close to being up-to-date is the Torch (which I have and love) and that was kind of behind when it was released last August. If RIM was releasing one of their next gen phones at the same time as the PB, I think they would greatly compliment each other.
    let's step back and think about other companies... say APPLE.
    the Ipad was released in Jan 2010.. and the iphone is always released sometime in June.
    what i'm saying is, you're asking for the "exception" and not the "RULE" when it comes to device releases.
    because they want that guy who bought the iphone.. and who owns the ipod touch to get the iPad and feel special..and appear Cool for the next 6 months.. he willeventually buy the next iPad once it comes out
    02-09-11 01:57 PM
    I don't think we will see anything phone related at MWC, just more info on the PlayBook. I really wanna see the Montana/Dakota in action though.
    02-09-11 01:57 PM
    You don't need the latest phone to bridge with the Playbook. You basically just need OS5+.

Can the Touchpad connect with the Palm Pre or Palm Pre 2?
    gregorylkelly and grover5 like this.
    02-09-11 02:16 PM
    You don't need the latest phone to bridge with the Playbook. You basically just need OS5+.

Can the Touchpad connect with the Palm Pre or Palm Pre 2?
    I think engadget mentioned needing a specific version of webos, but I didn't notice whether or not the existing devices were also going to get an upgrade or not.
    02-09-11 02:35 PM
    I don't think we will see anything phone related at MWC, just more info on the PlayBook. I really wanna see the Montana/Dakota in action though.
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised then, mwc is vastly more important for the handset makers than ces so at worst I think we will see the devices being demoed to people officially even if they are not actually on the main part of their stand for everyone to play with.
    02-09-11 02:38 PM
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised then, mwc is vastly more important for the handset makers than ces so at worst I think we will see the devices being demoed to people officially even if they are not actually on the main part of their stand for everyone to play with.
    I sure hope your right, I think the sooner the better that RIM gives us more then a controlled leak and a faster time line for releases of a new phone. I got my 9700 on Nov 4th, 2009. I am already feeling disconnected with it. Love my BBM and email but would like other features.
    02-09-11 02:51 PM
    Not a bad point, but I think a phone that works with a Tablet could be a good sell. People will buy phones when their contracts are up and some others don't care about the contract. By releasing a new enticing phone along side the PB, I think RIM would be enticing those people looking for new phones to consider the new BB when they may not have without the PB in the picture.

Hey, I'm not marketer, it just seems to me to be a good idea.
    How many people are going to be dropping $500+ on a tablet and then drop $500 more for an out-of-contract phone to complement it when it will work with any phone running OS5 or better (as mentioned). IMO, it might be more attractive to people who have an older phone as the enhancements you'll get out of the PB will be that much more welcomed while not having to give up your current phone and the usage you get out of it.

It's not like a newer BB would make the PB any faster or more productive, unless you're on a 2G BB and tethering maybe...
    02-09-11 02:59 PM
    I really don't understand this thread. Firstly, the PB has been getting a hard time from users and media people for "needing" a BB to use it to its full capability. Now its getting criticized for not being released with new phones that would be even more integrated with the tablet? Do people want stand-alone operation or do they want it tightly integrated with a specific handset? Apparently nobody can make up their mind.

Secondly, how come there is no criticism for HP for releasing a tablet that needs a new WebOS phone to function properly? Everybody was all over RIM when they introduced the bridging concept.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-11 03:11 PM
    For some reason, people are dazzled by the tapping concept. It's odd, but isn't doing it wirelessly more convenient?
    02-09-11 03:21 PM
    I really don't understand this thread. Firstly, the PB has been getting a hard time from users and media people for "needing" a BB to use it to its full capability. Now its getting criticized for not being released with new phones that would be even more integrated with the tablet? Do people want stand-alone operation or do they want it tightly integrated with a specific handset? Apparently nobody can make up their mind.

Secondly, how come there is no criticism for HP for releasing a tablet that needs a new WebOS phone to function properly? Everybody was all over RIM when they introduced the bridging concept.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is exactly what I was thinking. That Blair guy's statments about the PB being DOA better be retracted when he finds out that smartphone integration is good idea and other tabs will start doing the same thing. Of course companies want you stick with their brand. I wouldn't expect anything different.
    Last edited by aawilson; 02-09-11 at 03:41 PM.
    02-09-11 03:27 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD