Hello, first post here!

I just got my Torch on Monday after reading about it, watching Youtube videos and reviews about it, and after leaving my old iPhone 3G behind for this.

At first, I was really excited, until the phone started crashing one time after the other... this never happened with my iPhone.

Here's the deal: sometimes, after a while of not using the Torch, I'd go into the email accounts, open an email and it will freeze: the accelerometer works, the optical scroll works, and the touchscreen works... all the physical buttons don't! So basically, I can't exit from whatever the phone was doing and the ONLY solution is to do a battery pull. I've done this about 4 times now, and the phone is brand new, just got it 2 days ago...

I also had some issues with the camera, it wasn't taking pictures, I did a battery pull and set the autofocus from continuous to single picture (I think I read it here) and now it works. Other than that, everything works fine.

Here's my situation: the Torch, when I plug it in the PC and go into the BB Desktop program, it reads: version 6.0.0.246 (or something like that) but when I look it up on the phone, it says version 6.0.0.695 (or something like that). Now, I would really like to know what should I do (other than returning the phone...), is there something I could do to fix the freezing? I haven't started using the phone 24/7 yet since I still need to finish my iPhone's contract which ends this Friday... my concern is, I don't wanna be doing a battery pull when I'm in a conference room in front of my boss, it would look pretty sad. Do people have similar issues with the Torch? Is there a "restore" or "reset" process I could do to make things better?

Thanks!!
    02-09-11 07:46 AM
    You're on version .246, and I can tell you from experience that version .337 is much better. You can try upgrading. There are directions here in the forum on how to do that. The part about your camera, most of the time when I see people saying that, it's something bad with their SD card. The phone comes with a 4 gig one. Maybe try reformatting it? If you feel comfortable about upgrading to .337, try that. If not, take it back, show it to the folks at the store, and ask for a new/different one.
    02-09-11 07:51 AM
    There is actually a leaked .450 build that in most cases offers better battery life, and includes some bug fixes over .337. I agree with radi0chik though... Try updating the OS first before returning the unit. If your problems mentioned above are still present, then return it for a replacement unit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-11 08:07 AM
    I had the same problem the qwerty kb did not work only the screen and I had to reset everytime it happen.
    I updated to os .337 and did a couple battery pull and never haf the problem again.

With the camara I think you need to format the sd from your phone. Go to option, memory and format the sd.

02-09-11 08:15 AM
    About the SD card, on first launch of the camera did it see that you have a SD card and ask to store pictures there? It should have done this. It will also do this on first launch of the camera in video mode...
    02-09-11 08:20 AM
    Sorry you are having problems with your new Torch.
    There is a free App called Quickpull, for resetting the phone. You can also hold ALT-Shift-Del to reset (must use the right Shift key). If these don't work then pull out the battery.
    I also recommend updating to 6.0.0.450. It's easy and its a much better version of the OS.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-09-11 at 08:53 AM.
    02-09-11 08:49 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I wanna upgrade the software, where can I find directions for it? Doing it through the Desktop Manager doesnt work since it says there's no updates available for my phone, even though it says its version .246....
    02-09-11 05:30 PM
    You have to delete the vendor.xml file first, otherwise it won't detect the upgrade because it's a non carrier OS. DM doesn't always work though. Recommend using the apploader. Also if DM is set to auto check for updates it can automatically re-create the vendor.xml every single time, which makes updating to non-carrier OSes difficult...
    Last edited by papped; 02-09-11 at 05:36 PM.
    02-09-11 05:33 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I wanna upgrade the software, where can I find directions for it? Doing it through the Desktop Manager doesnt work since it says there's no updates available for my phone, even though it says its version .246....
    Go here first http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...ndings-580264/ and find a site that has .450 and download it.

Once you have it downloaded, follow these instructions exactly (substitute .450 for .337 - steps are identical).
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...1/#post5740955

edit: Thanks to Jeffrei for the step-by-step instructions
    02-09-11 05:45 PM
    You have to delete the vendor.xml file first, otherwise it won't detect the upgrade because it's a non carrier OS. DM doesn't always work though. Recommend using the apploader. Also if DM is set to auto check for updates it can automatically re-create the vendor.xml every single time, which makes updating to non-carrier OSes difficult...
    Whoa...! hehe, so whats the apploader? how do I use it? I just downloaded the .337 file and it apparently did something to DM, but it still doesn't recognize the new version, so I defnitely need a different way of doing it.
    02-09-11 06:24 PM
    Go to folder Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader

Make sure there's no vendor.xml file in that folder. Then run Loader.exe
    02-09-11 06:31 PM
    Ok, I did all of that, and when AppLoader was running, in the middle of the process an error message popped up about me having to go into control panel and do something to the USB hub or whatever, I did all of that and nothing happened; the Torch had restarted itself and the progress bar stopped kinda like 2/3 of the way. I had to do a battery pull and now it's still on .246. Is this normal?
    02-09-11 06:56 PM
    usb hub? You shouldn't have to do anything mid install...
    02-09-11 08:56 PM
    Go to folder Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader

Make sure there's no vendor.xml file in that folder. Then run Loader.exe
    This is what you have to do i just upgrade mine to .450 with no problem

02-09-11 11:17 PM
    I upgraded my torch from the phone. Just type in "update" in universal search and press the option. It takes a while but that's the easiest way (for an official OS at least)
    If you do this just make sure to plug your phone in.

Last edited by kmbro90; 02-10-11 at 12:02 AM.
    02-09-11 11:59 PM
    Ok, I did all of that, and when AppLoader was running, in the middle of the process an error message popped up about me having to go into control panel and do something to the USB hub or whatever, I did all of that and nothing happened; the Torch had restarted itself and the progress bar stopped kinda like 2/3 of the way. I had to do a battery pull and now it's still on .246. Is this normal?
    Welcome to the Torch, I'm loving mine and upgraded to .337 from .246.

Sounds like you missed or added a step somewhere. There shouldn't have been an error message.

Please be aware not to get anxious with the upgrade, I've read (and seen for myself) at about 2/3 is where all the "heavy lifting" seems to occur and being impatient will make you think something is wrong when it isn't.

I followed all of the instructions found here (to the letter) and things went fine for my upgrade.
    02-10-11 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD