Sprint to Offer Dual-Screen Android Smartphone

Sprint Nextel Corp. plans to unveil a smartphone late Monday that includes a twin set of touch screens that give the device a pseudo-tablet design, according to a person familiar with the device.

The device, called the Echo and made by Kyocera Corp. of Japan, features two 3.5-inch touch screens that can be stacked side by side.

Users can accomplish multiple tasks on the two screens, or drag items from one screen to the other. The phone, which runs on Google Inc.'s Android software, uses a pivot hinge that allows one screen to be tucked under the other, transforming it ...
    Sprint to Add Two-Screen Smartphone - WSJ.com
    02-07-11 09:59 AM
    Sounds Craptacular Sprint!
    02-07-11 10:03 AM
    So you can drag an item to the other screen? BFD! Seems useless to me and I hope this isn't the 'big' announcement by Sprint...
    02-07-11 10:03 AM
    wow that sounds like the stupidest idea ever...
    02-07-11 10:06 AM
    I'd have to see it before I made a judgement. It sounds like basically having a "foldable" tablet in your pocket. Having extra screen real estate is nice..as long as it doesnt weigh a ton and be too bulky.
    02-07-11 10:43 AM
    This actually sounds pretty cool if done right.
    02-07-11 11:07 AM
    Sprint’s Kyocera Echo to be a Dual-Screen Android [Ultimate Multi-Tasking] | Android Phone Fans

Picture of it here

I have spoken about the dual screen idea, as a Dual Screen Style in another thread, I like the idea, I DON'T like Kyocera's implementation of the idea.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-07-11 11:08 AM
    Sprint�s Kyocera Echo to be a Dual-Screen Android [Ultimate Multi-Tasking] | Android Phone Fans

Picture of it here

I have spoken about the dual screen idea, as a Dual Screen Style in another thread, I like the idea, I DON'T like Kyocera's implementation of the idea.
    Agreed..I don't like the look of that. Only benefit I guess would be you could have your virtual keyboard on the bottom without taking away from the screen real estate on the top half.
    02-07-11 11:13 AM
    If thats the actual phone, wow lol thats an embarrassment sprint.
    02-07-11 11:34 AM
    Sprint�s Kyocera Echo to be a Dual-Screen Android [Ultimate Multi-Tasking] | Android Phone Fans

Picture of it here

BAD. The only way it would have worked well is if they made it so the two screens could be folded to look like one seamless large screen. This Nintendo DS-esque design doesn't look like it'll work.
    02-07-11 11:37 AM
    (Yawn) Way to fail, Sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 11:45 AM
    (Yawn) Way to fail, Sprint.

DeRusett's dual touch clam mentioned in another thread is much better than this.

02-07-11 12:10 PM
    The Playbook will do all this can do, and better.....
    02-07-11 12:16 PM
    BAD. The only way it would have worked well is if they made it so the two screens could be folded to look like one seamless large screen. This Nintendo DS-esque design doesn't look like it'll work.
    Exactly! This is kind of what I envisioned when I first heard about it and thought IF that was how it was done it might work..but yea..this design is terribad. That hinge in the middle looks like the hinge off of a bedroom door or something..

The Playbook will do all this can do, and better.....
    The Playbook is a tablet. This is a phone. Can't really compare the two imo.
    02-07-11 12:30 PM
    Huge joke..should've been an iPhone at least people would be interested then
    02-07-11 01:38 PM
    I've been a Sprint user for 10 years now. This is just another dumb thing in a long line of dumb things from Sprint. From the Nextel purchase, to giving Clearwire all the 2.5GHz spectrum that Sprint won to combine with Clear's and then letting them build out the Wimax network, to all these recent fee increases...

A big publicity announcement for that hideous phone from Kyocera (I thought they were out of business). Dan Hesse is a moron who will get his golden parachute soon enough. Their will be no upgrade from me and my four phones, or my wife's family's three phones (they'll move to wherever I go) this summer. The Sprint Circus is being ran by the clowns and I don't think they have planned direction for the company except stay alive long enough to merge with someone.
    02-07-11 01:53 PM
    that image offends my eyes

c`mon sprint, only way to recover is to also announce the playbook pricing (i wish)
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    02-07-11 01:54 PM
    Gotta admit, that is one funked-up looking piece of hardware.

02-07-11 02:21 PM
    I'm not even sure how to respond to that...lol! Just YUCK, I guess?

02-07-11 05:20 PM
    Here's a pic of the actual device.

02-07-11 05:26 PM
    I doubt I'd even buy this device if it came from a reputable company such as HTC, Motorola, or Samsung. But coming from 'Kyocera'? Definitely just going to wait on the BB Montana. I need a break from Android.
    02-07-11 05:36 PM
    Enough screen and virtual keyboard real estate to work effectively with spreadsheets -- or advanced games if that's your thing. What's not to like? Not my favorite ff, but I can definitely see advantages.

02-07-11 05:43 PM
    Disappointing, nothing special, very few apps can be ran on it simultaneously. Doesn't appeal to me, but it might to others.

02-07-11 05:44 PM
    what's the battery life of that thing? Does it have 2 batteries?
    CASH and BlackStormRising like this.
    02-07-11 05:56 PM
    I've been a Sprint user for 10 years now. This is just another dumb thing in a long line of dumb things from Sprint. From the Nextel purchase, to giving Clearwire all the 2.5GHz spectrum ...
    I used to have Nextel, back in the days, with the walkie-talkie phone, one of those very durable ones. As soon as Sprint merged, I paid my early termination fee and left them and there is absolutely nothing there that could get me back with them. I really thought Nextel was heads and shoulders above Sprint, that's why I thought, that this was the end of an era for me, and I was right.
    02-07-11 05:59 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD