The XOOM is going to cost $799.99! If this is true and if RIM are intent on pricing competitively with the iPad this is great news for RIM!

Verizon locking WiFi on Motorola Xoom until you buy one month of data service? -- Engadget

Who would pay this for the xoom when the Playbook should be $500 or so?
    02-06-11 07:46 PM
    I don't see to many people buying this, not at that price. And the ones that do good luck.
    02-06-11 07:52 PM
    I suspect the 32GB Playbook will still RUN $600, and the 64GB Playbook 700-800 so for data capacity the Playbook will not be much cheaper than the XOOM

I'm still getting a Playbook, but 800 isn't hard to believe.

the 1 Month activation is a big pill to swallow, makes gift giving harder!
    02-06-11 07:52 PM
    I like the Xoom. I like the PlayBook better, but like the Xoom. Considering the 32GB Wifi Ipad2 will be $599 and no monthly data subscription or even a one month charge to activate wifi, I think this is absurd. I think it's going to turn a lot of people off. Obviously the die-hards will buy regardless, I think this is going to hurt them(Moto). The PlayBook will be priced competitively. More so than the Xoom.
    02-06-11 07:56 PM
    This is wonderful news for RIM. There's room in the market for a few players. As RIM know the synergy from tablet sales will impact the cell phone business. It's a big deal. With this pricing and data shackling I think the Xoom will take its place beside Samsung's "Problem 800" or whatever its called bringing up the rear sales wise. If RIM play their cards right and bring out a $500 Playbook soon they can solidify second spot in this market. It's all set up for them. This takes away my disappointment at the lack of a Playbook ad this super bowl.
    02-06-11 08:06 PM
    Moto needs to release a cheaper version. 800$ puts them out of the game.
    02-06-11 08:09 PM
    To me there's no choice. The Playbook is more portable, and (once you count the data fee) $150+ less... And I get data to use on it without spending anything more. The Xoom lost all my interest.
    02-06-11 08:12 PM
    You're not alone. Tonight has been a bad one for Motorola. It's in your court RIM - whatcha gonna do?
    02-06-11 08:19 PM
    You're not alone. Tonight has been a bad one for Motorola. It's in your court RIM - whatcha gonna do?
    Yup. That Xoom commercial was kinda meh. Fails to generate any excitement and then this coordinated bad news from Engadget.
    02-06-11 08:25 PM
    Weren't those mics for the half-time show Motorola's?

just kidding, as that seemed more like a problem with the person operating the sound booth, not the mics
    02-06-11 08:26 PM
    the engadget news is not new, its been rumored for quite awhile about the price. The BB ad was just the confirmation of it. And 95% of the population doesnt even know about the price for the xoom....they have only see a commercial of it.

That being said, its priced to high as most people agree. I assume it will come down in price a little to compete with ipad and PB. 699 is about the pricepoint i think most would agree is fitting for it. We just have to see as its release is still a couple weeks away
    02-06-11 08:29 PM
    the engadget news is not new, its been rumored for quite awhile about the price. The BB ad was just the confirmation of it.
    Well, a confirmed rumour is news.

Rumour -> Confirmation -> Bad news.
    02-06-11 08:38 PM
    Weren't those mics for the half-time show Motorola's?

It "left me wonderin', where is the sound"...
    02-06-11 08:42 PM
    I'm missing something... How can VzW do this? Do they mean they are locking the 3g service? Odd....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 08:47 PM
    no, you have to atleast pay for the first month data to activate the device, you can cancel after the first month of service and just use it as a wifi tablet.
    02-06-11 08:50 PM
    no, you have to atleast pay for the first month data to activate the device, you can cancel after the first month of service and just use it as a wifi tablet.
    Okay, why does Motorola have to comply? Bestbuy can sell it, VzW is totally out of the equation....

02-06-11 08:55 PM
    its a VZW branded tablet, its like the sprint PB will be kinda.
    02-06-11 08:58 PM
    As the Engadget article states, Verizon has a history of crippling features on phones (Bluetooth).. so it sounds like they're doing the same here unless they can make some money off of a data activation fee. Lame

Plus, $800 for a tablet? I know the specs are impressive, and it looks like a great device, but that's quite the price tag.

It looks like the Xoom's big debut to the public during the Superbowl has hit head first into a dose of bad/disappointing news.
    02-06-11 08:58 PM
    All Playbook prices thus far quoted are still rumours right? Did someone say there was a BB ad?? (ok, Best Buy...got it).

I still have trouble believing any quality tab can be had for $499.99.
    I think the decent ones are going to be closer to $600, and I don't want to speculate on the one that I want - 64GB Playbook.

And Fergie did have a wardrobe malfunction. One of her light bulbs burnt out.
    02-06-11 08:59 PM
    its a VZW branded tablet, its like the sprint PB will be kinda.
    But what about the tablets sold by best buy for example... Or is Motorola contractorily obligated to sell all xooms VzW branded? And how stupid was that?

02-06-11 09:02 PM
    all xooms will be VZW branded, therefore they play by VZW rules for the most part. At this time there is no wifi only Xoom. I think most people would love that idea though
    02-06-11 09:06 PM
    The price point is a killer. I wonder what Motorola was thinking when they came up with the price point... Or maybe it's VZ getting involved? Does anyone know if the ipad2 will be running/compatible with VZ network as well?

02-06-11 09:09 PM
    I have no intention of buying ANY Tablet from a phone carrier. There are better options.
    02-06-11 09:12 PM
    The price point is a killer. I wonder what Motorola was thinking when they came up with the price point... Or maybe it's VZ getting involved? Does anyone know if the ipad2 will be running/compatible with VZ network as well?

This definitely has Verizon written all over it. But ALL manufacturers bend over for carriers!! Even Apple in some way or another. it's the way of the world. Regardless, the Xoom will sell units well. Just not as easily if it were priced a little cheaper. Especially in today's economy.
    02-06-11 09:12 PM
    I actually like motorola, but I do think they are in trouble. Either way I am definitely a playbook buyer. I cannot wait.
    02-06-11 09:23 PM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD