ive been using Blackberry Protect since it came out. as some of you may know, ive been dealing with terrible battery drain issues on my Torch on all OS's. i was using .450 and was seeing -12%/hr at some points, usually was consistent at -9%/hr. i decided to delete Blackberry Protect, as it was the only app that i didnt delete when troubleshooting. now im sitting at -4%/hr. im wondering if it was the culprit this whole time. anyone else notice a huge drain caused by this app?
    02-05-11 01:34 PM
    whoa!! 12 % / hr is insane man. I haven't tried that app but it looks like the culprit here....

hmmm....
    02-05-11 01:43 PM
    ive been using Blackberry Protect since it came out. as some of you may know, ive been dealing with terrible battery drain issues on my Torch on all OS's. i was using .450 and was seeing -12%/hr at some points, usually was consistent at -9%/hr. i decided to delete Blackberry Protect, as it was the only app that i didnt delete when troubleshooting. now im sitting at -4%/hr. im wondering if it was the culprit this whole time. anyone else notice a huge drain caused by this app?
    I would check the CPU usage of the application. The higher the CPU usage, the higher the battery drain.
    02-05-11 01:45 PM
    I wish someone can confirm this as I really like this program, I have just read about it and it seems like a very nice step forward from RIM
    02-05-11 01:51 PM
    Where can u get blackberry protect?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-11 04:57 PM
    Where can u get blackberry protect?
    It's by invite only at BlackBerry Beta Zone.

Wonder if battery drain issues are the reason it's been in beta for 7 months.
    02-05-11 05:51 PM
    I've been using it from day one as a beta tester and have never had a problem. I'm always around 3-5% drain per hour. Maybe the Torch version is different? Matbe try re-downloading now?
    02-06-11 06:53 AM
    :/ I don't have it in bb beta zone

02-06-11 11:48 AM
    I would check the CPU usage of the application. The higher the CPU usage, the higher the battery drain.
    ive done that. its always used very little CPU, as have all my apps. but ive had ZERO luck with battery life on this stupid phone. im still hovering in the 6%/hr range.
    02-06-11 12:10 PM
    I would freaking kill for a BB Protect invite!
    02-07-11 07:12 PM
    I think that is the reason it has been in Beta for so long and not open to any new users! I was trying to catch the invite, but it appears they stopped inviting beta testers quite a while ago. I am still waiting for the public release or new beta invites!

It's by invite only at BlackBerry Beta Zone.

Wonder if battery drain issues are the reason it's been in beta for 7 months.
    02-07-11 09:25 PM
    Send me your copy and I'll let you know if I have the same battery drain
    02-07-11 09:31 PM
    Good point! I will try it for you also!
    02-07-11 09:36 PM
    You can now get blackberry protect at Blackberry app world! Free!
    03-05-11 08:57 AM
    Indeed you can. And based on the engineering screen process log, it does not appear that BB Protect is causing any battery drain when it's not backing up.
    03-05-11 03:20 PM
    I've been using BlackBerry Protect since early this morning and my battery life (for today) has been normal. From what I understand, BB Protect only runs when it's time for a Backup and when you are using the BB Protect website to utilize the apps features. When you first setup the app, it does one backup of everything you checked off and then incremental backups from there on (meaning it only back's up information that has changed or been added since the last backup).

My point is this... BlackBerry Protect runs VERY queitly in the background because it doesn't even show in the App Switcher. Unless you're using the BB Protect website to perform a lot of functions, than I don't see how it will really effect battery life, at least enough to really say so.

Most of this is fact and some is my opinion...just saying.

03-05-11 04:09 PM
    I have had normal battery life all day and I installed the blackberry protect this morning.

03-05-11 06:20 PM
    Just downloaded BB Protect yesterday morning, so I've had it for about 24 hours. My battery drain hasn't changed and I also changed my OS yesterday, which makes the battery drain quite a bit for a day or 2. I've been around 1-4% discharge rate, with BB Protect backing up my phone every day.

03-06-11 07:24 AM
    03-06-11 07:30 AM
    I had the same battery drain problem with balckberry protect. My solution was to disable the device location feature. Now battery berformance is back to normal.
    03-14-11 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD