My bberry storm fell out of my pocket and landed on the tile floor. Now my screen is cracked. It still works but is extremely annoying to see through. I LOVED my storm and unfortunately I don't have insurance on it. I've only had it about 6 months. Does anyone know if the screen can be replaced? How would I go about getting a screen and replacing it??
    02-05-11 08:01 AM
    Check it out here. https://www.gsm4world.us/blackberry-c-131_0.html Almost any part external on a BlackBerry and many of the internal parts except the main board are replaceable by the consumer.
    There are online tutorials on YouTube that show you in detail how to take apart your BlackBerry and replace various parts. It really isn't terribly difficult to do, just go slowly and take it in steps.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-05-11 at 08:13 AM.
    02-05-11 08:10 AM
    Thank you BergerKing...I checked it out and looks do-able. I just need to shop around and see if I can get a cheaper screen. Do you know of any other places to get purchase replasement parts?
    Thanks again!
    02-05-11 08:38 AM
    Here's a potential I pulled up on a Google Search. I know zero about the source, just posting what I found on a quick search. For Verizon Blackberry Storm 2 9550 Blackberry OEM (Original) Replacement Lens LCD Display Repair Glass - Touch Screen Digitizer - LCD22937

Also found on Amazon.com for around $60.

Last edited by BergerKing; 02-05-11 at 10:35 AM.
    02-05-11 09:22 AM
    I just did this on an S2 I got from Work with a cracked screen. It is not easy. If you have insurance it may be worth the $50 deductible. I got it done, but it's not perfect.

There are a few you tube videos that walk you through disassemble, but they don't get into specifically replacing the screen. Be aware that there is a metal plate behind the LCD that won't come with the replacement part, but that you have to remove from the broken piece and attach to the new piece. Also there is a frame that dove tails between the Digitizer and the LCD, so that is hard to separate and then get the new part in place.

You may want to see if you can find a place that would repair it for you. There are a few threads here o this as well where you may get some good advice.
    02-05-11 11:07 AM
    I have the same issue with a 14 day old* 9550. I've watched the repair videos and it does seem really doable. After reading through many threads there seems as though there is too much not in my favor.

That said, has anyone used any of the repair services with good result?

*No I didn't purchase insurance. My old Storm crapped out whilst I was traveling. Was do for an upgrade so I got the Storm2. It cracked in the airport going through the xray machine. Now, xray machines do not crack glass. Had to be a defective screen to begin with. Verizon's only solution for me was to send me a "like new certified." I returned it and fought with them for days. Did I mention Verizon sucks?
    02-26-11 03:30 PM
    Cb now does repairs I would check it out just click the shop button

02-26-11 03:56 PM
    @the engine -my wife recently had an issue with her storm 2 on Verizon and I swear the deductible was $75. Are you on Verizon? The whole experience made me rethink the value of insurance. Didn't help that the phone they sent us was almost worse than the one that broke. I have since cancelled the insurance on my line and will repair or replace at my own expense.

@op, let us know how the repair goes. I will be curious to know how doable it is. I always question the stuff of youtube. You never know, those guys could be working at the factory making them by day and making videos of fixing them by night. ;-)

02-27-11 06:07 AM
    @the engine -my wife recently had an issue with her storm 2 on Verizon and I swear the deductible was $75. Are you on Verizon? The whole experience made me rethink the value of insurance. Didn't help that the phone they sent us was almost worse than the one that broke. I have since cancelled the insurance on my line and will repair or replace at my own expense.

@op, let us know how the repair goes. I will be curious to know how doable it is. I always question the stuff of youtube. You never know, those guys could be working at the factory making them by day and making videos of fixing them by night. ;-)

I am on VZW. I thought it was $50 but you are probably right. I should cancel mine as well. If the replacement too got was bad keep complaining. They get you a new one or maybe give you an incredible or something. Just keep bugging them. Get loud, demand a supervisor, etc.

The repair is not that difficult, but you probably won't end up with perfect results.

02-27-11 06:50 AM
    Be careful when disassembling the display. Pulling it apart is somewhat tricky and you will damage connectors easily. Tried it myself just to see if I could (had insurance when I broke my screen). The online tutorials I found were not very detailed and once I got in there and saw all the internal parts, I decided to just make a claim instead. In your case, you might want to try it anyway but I recommend having a professional do it if it is cost effective to you.
    02-28-11 03:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD