Hello everyone.
    I know I am kind of a "leech" here.
    Though I have some basic questions and to be honest I would rather ask here than talk to some foreigner on the phone.

I am planning on getting the Bold 9780.
    Though I have a few questions.
    My first question being do you need to have data to use BBM?
    I don't think I will get data on my blackberry as it won't be used that much though I think BBM would be a nice thing to have. I have heard a lot about downloading a Sim or something? Though a lot of the answers are all different and I want to make sure.
    Now also this question is pretty nooby anyways, is when you are at your home and have WiFi can you use everything you could if you had data? Such as just using internet etc? With the plan I am getting I will have unlimited facebook and IM though I will like to use the other features.

I thought there was more, though that's it for now,
    thank you.

GotSomeBoldStyle.
    02-04-11 09:06 PM
    You need a BlackBerry data plan to use BIS, which is the server for BBM.

Be advised that depending on your carrier, they may require you to have a BlackBerry plan, and if found on a sweep, they can automatically activate one and bill you. Dependsa on carrier requirements.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-04-11 at 09:35 PM.
    GotSomeBoldStyle likes this.
    02-04-11 09:31 PM
    You need a BB data plan for BBM, and for most of the applications on the device. Wifi will work, but most apps like the Facebook app will not. You can use the Facebook mobile site, but not the app.

A BB data plan is always recommended, so that the device will work as it was designed to.
    02-04-11 09:31 PM
    You need BIS data plan so you can use the most of your BB.

You need BIS data to use Windows live msn, facebook, BBM, ofc they are other apps that are WIFI enable but it's not the same so I would recomend you to get the data plan..
    02-04-11 09:34 PM
    The Facebook app worked over wifi on my BB.

Like others said, get the data plan. Most carriers have a low end data plan, like 200MB/month or so, that would probably be enough for email and BBM. The carriers are not likely to sell you one without a data plan anyway. To have a BB without a data plan you would have to buy a new or used device on your own and then just get voice service from a carrier. However, if you really want a smartphone type device and only want to use it over wifi it seems to me that an iPod Touch and a separate phone would be less hassle.

02-04-11 10:22 PM
    How much do you guys pay for your plans? I don't want to be paying a lot, I'm not cheap, though is there a nice affordable plan that include unlimited texting, decent minutes, and some data? Any really good carriers that offer deals? I'm Canadian by the way, though feel free to mention american carriers.
    02-04-11 10:45 PM
    Pricing will depend on your carrier. Canadian carriers offer different plans than they do here in the States. I have seen social BB data plans that are cheaper than most data plans that are offered here. Your best bet is to check around.

What provider are you with right now?
    02-04-11 10:57 PM
    Telus has BlackBerry Social Plans $45/month...

BlackBerry® Social Plans�*|�* Plans�*|�* TELUS Mobility
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 02-04-11 at 11:14 PM.
    02-04-11 11:11 PM
    The plan you mentioned does not apply to any Blackberry devices.

Here is the terms:

All mobile phones on a 2 or 3 year term.
    Select Smartphones on a 3 year term (in-store only): HTC Hero, HTC Snap, LG New Chocolate, LG Shine Plus, Motorola Charm, Nokia E71, Nokia E72, Samsung Advance, Samsung Galaxy Apollo.
    02-04-11 11:14 PM
    The plan you mentioned does not apply to any Blackberry devices.....[/I]
    Corrected the link.
    02-04-11 11:17 PM
    You need a Data Plan to use your Blackberry, none of the carriers will allow you to activate a smartphone without a data plan. Usually the unlimited one. Yes using wifi will give you all the same things as 3g/4g
    02-04-11 11:18 PM
    You need a Data Plan to use your Blackberry, none of the carriers will allow you to activate a smartphone without a data plan. Usually the unlimited one. Yes using wifi will give you all the same things as 3g/4g
    In Canada we can use BB without data plans they are not required just highly recommended.

But of course if you need BBM and most BB core apps you will need a data plan
    02-04-11 11:22 PM
    Yeah the "required data" is part of the reason you get such a great discount for phones when signing a contract. Its guaranteed money to them in the long run. That was one of the first things I was taught when I worked at T-mobile.

02-04-11 11:22 PM
    ...But of course if you need BBM and most BB core apps you will need a data plan
    With the plan in the link I posted above, you can get BBM without a data plan.
    02-04-11 11:31 PM
    How much do you guys pay for your plans? I don't want to be paying a lot, I'm not cheap, though is there a nice affordable plan that include unlimited texting, decent minutes, and some data? Any really good carriers that offer deals? I'm Canadian by the way, though feel free to mention american carriers.
    The cost will depend on your carrier. My plan is $30 per month with vzw.
    02-05-11 01:05 AM
    I spoke with my father and he said that he has some good plans from his company. I decided I would get a 50 dollar plan with 500mb or something like that which is more than 270 emails a day. Think that would be fairly good for a teenager who doesn't use internet, just the little bbm here and there? Thank you all of you guys for your answers!

BoldStyle.
    02-05-11 12:37 PM
    BoldStyle.
    02-06-11 09:45 PM
    500mb should be plenty if you don't use internet and only plan on BBM.
    02-07-11 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD