OS 6 is far better than OS 5 if you ask me (mostly because of the automatic SMS/MMS switching, keeping them threaded). There are other advantages too. However, I've noticed a few hiccups:

1) Sometimes won't let me scroll in a text conversation
    2) Locked up one text and kept it at the bottom of a convo. Wouldn't let me erase the single text, so I had to erase the whole convo.
    3) I set "applications" as my left convenience key, but when I press it, it brings the folder up outside of the view of the screen, so I could only see half of my application icons. Wouldn't let me scroll.
    4) No column view in web browser. I know this isn't major, but I used it for a few sites I frequently visited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 11:02 PM
    Actually, no column view is major. Its the most griped about problem with BB6.
    02-03-11 11:25 PM
    Major wifi issues.thank god for the unlimited data plan

02-04-11 01:11 AM

What WiFi issues are you having?
    02-04-11 04:49 AM
    The issues that I have with OS6 are the lack of a Today theme, wwithout searching for one. Why doesn't RIM include one? I also have an issue with the calendar view, which I understand may be corrected in 6.1.
    02-04-11 08:18 AM
    Actually, no column view is major. Its the most griped about problem with BB6.
    It's not really a "glitch" though, it's just the way the new browser works.
    02-04-11 08:24 AM
    bbos6 is a painful to use absolute joke. i have a strong love/hate relationship with my bb, i started on the tour, became hooked and have since gained a bold 9650, a curve 8330, pearl and a storm 1. i kept the bold and gave the others to my family to utilize bbm, and while i still love bbm, its getting harder and harder not to jump ship to an iphone..(tried a droid pro and had pitiful battery life and random reboots. returned.)

while ive always liked the keyboard and form factor of bb, we all know the OS is lacking, so when i finally came across the os6 update from vzw i was pretty excited as id loaded a leak a few months prior and almost immediately downgraded cuz it was so unbearably buggy. so i went ahead and spent the 3hrs+ that it takes to actually install an update correctly (why RIM makes it so damn complex is beyond me, were i not a crackberry reader theres probably no way in **** i would have known how to optimize it). at first all was ok, i mean i still hate the counter-intuitive "views" (why anyone would want these is beyond me, why not just make the option for a sliding dock? why give them names and have them show duplicate icons? wtf are u thinking RIM?) but alas, i stayed with it due to the promise of the new theme builder to be released.

so jump ahead a week, now ive got a few themes loaded, my device has had more than enough time to settle its new OS in, but somethings wrong..it still runs like ****. this "official OS" is absolute trash. not only has my battery life decreased from 12-15+hrs down to around 6-7hrs, i can literally watch it drop.. (a bb's battery should not drop 10% from a few texts and light fb browsing 30mins after its been taken off the charger from a whole nites charge.) this is absolutely unacceptable. and in addition to horrendus battery drain, ive experienced spontaneous reboots on a few occasions as well. wtf? is this new OS so "cutting edge" that my bold cant handle all its glory?

besides the battery drain, heres some other things wrong (hope u read these forums RIM!) when waking the device from standby (ie the screen has gone dim, the phone has not been locked or anything) there is almost always (about 70% of the time) a lag of at least 2 seconds before anything updates on the screen. for example, i will get a flashing light telling me i have messages (obviously), or i need to check the time real quick on my way to class, so i go to hit a button to wake the screen, and what happens?

well... if it actually wakes on the first button press instead of just giving me a black screen for 2-3sec, it shows me a screen with the wrong time as it only seems to update while the phone is being used, so i get the time but it hasnt been changed since the last time i looked at the phone. additionally, it will show i have no messages, but 2-3seconds and a lag or 2 later, they finally pop up. yes i can still check the time and still get my messages, but the whole point of a bb is efficiency, and i dont have the time or patience to wait for this POS brickberry to lag so uncontrollably when im on the go.

onto to themes. themes are another reason i love my bb, lets me customize and feel like my phones UI isnt so archaic. i understand that the new TB is beta, and that OS6 themes are just begining, but even so, why are they so hard to perfect? and why do i get so much lag? on os5 i cud switch themes multiple times and still have quick performance, here i switch a theme and the lags i spoke of earlier increase tenfold and i have to battery pull to get it up to speed. i realize that a battery pull is reccomended after installing/uninstalling themes or apps, but why? i mean really? why? no other OS requires this, you cant make ur code efficient enough to handle such simple UI changes RIM? the phone is still performing the same exact tasks, its not as though im installing or adding some new feature that isnt native, and even if i was, why do i have to reboot and wait that godawful 5+mins just to use my phone again? i can install/uninstall apps on my first gen iphone all day and never have this problem..

so now that ive covered the basics, lets go over tuesday nites performance of my bb in situation where i needed it the most. i went to see bassnectar the other nite with a large group of people (2 of which also had bbs and experienced none of the issues i did. FTR they are both running current versions of os 5). the crowd was enormous, so naturally we became separated thruout the nite, but we were keeping in touch thru txt/bbm. while everyone elses phone seemed to be working as usual, my bold, after having worked relatively well all day, decided it would completely lock up repeatedly thru out the nite, lag uncontrolably when it did work, drain my battery from 80% down to 10% in 2hrs, run incredibly hot, and reboot itself out of the blue. ******* pathetic. i was ready to throw it on the ground and stomp on it i was so aggravated.

fast forward to this morning. after sitting idly on the charger all nite, i take it off to play with the new theme ive installed. frozen. reboot it, wait a minute, try to change themes, frozen. reboot, uncaght exception error. open options, frozen. repeat cycle.

RIM, your methods of competing today are absolutly laughable and pathetic. did u not include your keyboard and bbm on my bold i would have moved on long long ago. i truly hope os6 can be fixed when 6.1 is released, but im not holding my breathe.

for the techy guys: was running 5.0.0.789 (i think) OTA updated to 5.0.0.1036 ( i believe it was) then OTA updated to the official vzw os6. then went in with DM and uninstalled all non compatible themes/apps. have 5 os6 themes from the forums installed. maybe 10 3rd party apps. im not a newb, been reading CB since 2008 and have a pretty good idea of what im doing.
    lindros2 likes this.
    02-04-11 10:37 AM
    +1 no column view, but it's not a glitch. That's the way it's supposed to work.

02-04-11 10:47 AM
    The issues that I have with OS6 are the lack of a Today theme, wwithout searching for one. Why doesn't RIM include one? I also have an issue with the calendar view, which I understand may be corrected in 6.1.
    BGT has an excellent Today theme for 6.0
    02-04-11 10:57 AM

do you have verizon because they're eliminating unlimited plan starting summer..
    02-04-11 12:46 PM
    >>do you have verizon because they're eliminating unlimited plan starting summer..<<

According to Verizon, these are unfounded rumors and they have no plans to eliminate unlimited data plans. (There would be such an uproar there's no way the huge customer base would stand for it.)
    02-04-11 05:06 PM
    BGT has an excellent Today theme for 6.0
    Using the Today Plus from BGT and it works great on OS 6!

02-04-11 05:47 PM
    do you have verizon because they're eliminating unlimited plan starting summer..
    That sucks. Not for me, though. It turns out I don't really use much data haha. I took Verizon's 150MB plan when it first came out like two months ago. I don't think I've ever used over 70MB in one month, to be honest.
    02-05-11 10:07 AM
    That sucks. Not for me, though. It turns out I don't really use much data haha. I took Verizon's 150MB plan when it first came out like two months ago. I don't think I've ever used over 70MB in one month, to be honest.
    My wife had a Storm (9530) and averaged between 25MB and 30MB per month.

As a much heavier user (I travel for work), I sometimes hit 80MB. If I use Wi-Fi (in my office[s] and home), I can keep it down around 60MB.

Fast-forward to now. My wife "upgraded" to a Droid Incredible, and now hits about 588MB/month.
    02-05-11 11:15 AM

What wifi issues are you having? Wifi works fine for me.
    02-05-11 12:09 PM
    bbos6 is a painful to use absolute joke. i have a strong love/hate relationship with my bb, i started on the tour, became hooked and have since gained a bold 9650, a curve 8330, pearl and a storm 1. i kept the bold and gave the others to my family to utilize bbm, and while i still love bbm, its getting harder and harder not to jump ship to an iphone..(tried a droid pro and had pitiful battery life and random reboots. returned.)

while ive always liked the keyboard and form factor of bb, we all know the OS is lacking, so when i finally came across the os6 update from vzw i was pretty excited as id loaded a leak a few months prior and almost immediately downgraded cuz it was so unbearably buggy. so i went ahead and spent the 3hrs+ that it takes to actually install an update correctly (why RIM makes it so damn complex is beyond me, were i not a crackberry reader theres probably no way in **** i would have known how to optimize it). at first all was ok, i mean i still hate the counter-intuitive "views" (why anyone would want these is beyond me, why not just make the option for a sliding dock? why give them names and have them show duplicate icons? wtf are u thinking RIM?) but alas, i stayed with it due to the promise of the new theme builder to be released.

so jump ahead a week, now ive got a few themes loaded, my device has had more than enough time to settle its new OS in, but somethings wrong..it still runs like ****. this "official OS" is absolute trash. not only has my battery life decreased from 12-15+hrs down to around 6-7hrs, i can literally watch it drop.. (a bb's battery should not drop 10% from a few texts and light fb browsing 30mins after its been taken off the charger from a whole nites charge.) this is absolutely unacceptable. and in addition to horrendus battery drain, ive experienced spontaneous reboots on a few occasions as well. wtf? is this new OS so "cutting edge" that my bold cant handle all its glory?

besides the battery drain, heres some other things wrong (hope u read these forums RIM!) when waking the device from standby (ie the screen has gone dim, the phone has not been locked or anything) there is almost always (about 70% of the time) a lag of at least 2 seconds before anything updates on the screen. for example, i will get a flashing light telling me i have messages (obviously), or i need to check the time real quick on my way to class, so i go to hit a button to wake the screen, and what happens?

well... if it actually wakes on the first button press instead of just giving me a black screen for 2-3sec, it shows me a screen with the wrong time as it only seems to update while the phone is being used, so i get the time but it hasnt been changed since the last time i looked at the phone. additionally, it will show i have no messages, but 2-3seconds and a lag or 2 later, they finally pop up. yes i can still check the time and still get my messages, but the whole point of a bb is efficiency, and i dont have the time or patience to wait for this POS brickberry to lag so uncontrollably when im on the go.

onto to themes. themes are another reason i love my bb, lets me customize and feel like my phones UI isnt so archaic. i understand that the new TB is beta, and that OS6 themes are just begining, but even so, why are they so hard to perfect? and why do i get so much lag? on os5 i cud switch themes multiple times and still have quick performance, here i switch a theme and the lags i spoke of earlier increase tenfold and i have to battery pull to get it up to speed. i realize that a battery pull is reccomended after installing/uninstalling themes or apps, but why? i mean really? why? no other OS requires this, you cant make ur code efficient enough to handle such simple UI changes RIM? the phone is still performing the same exact tasks, its not as though im installing or adding some new feature that isnt native, and even if i was, why do i have to reboot and wait that godawful 5+mins just to use my phone again? i can install/uninstall apps on my first gen iphone all day and never have this problem..

so now that ive covered the basics, lets go over tuesday nites performance of my bb in situation where i needed it the most. i went to see bassnectar the other nite with a large group of people (2 of which also had bbs and experienced none of the issues i did. FTR they are both running current versions of os 5). the crowd was enormous, so naturally we became separated thruout the nite, but we were keeping in touch thru txt/bbm. while everyone elses phone seemed to be working as usual, my bold, after having worked relatively well all day, decided it would completely lock up repeatedly thru out the nite, lag uncontrolably when it did work, drain my battery from 80% down to 10% in 2hrs, run incredibly hot, and reboot itself out of the blue. ******* pathetic. i was ready to throw it on the ground and stomp on it i was so aggravated.

fast forward to this morning. after sitting idly on the charger all nite, i take it off to play with the new theme ive installed. frozen. reboot it, wait a minute, try to change themes, frozen. reboot, uncaght exception error. open options, frozen. repeat cycle.

RIM, your methods of competing today are absolutly laughable and pathetic. did u not include your keyboard and bbm on my bold i would have moved on long long ago. i truly hope os6 can be fixed when 6.1 is released, but im not holding my breathe.

for the techy guys: was running 5.0.0.789 (i think) OTA updated to 5.0.0.1036 ( i believe it was) then OTA updated to the official vzw os6. then went in with DM and uninstalled all non compatible themes/apps. have 5 os6 themes from the forums installed. maybe 10 3rd party apps. im not a newb, been reading CB since 2008 and have a pretty good idea of what im doing.
    You say that it took you over 3 hours to install the OS6 update? What did you do? If it was an OTA install then no wonder you are having problems.

Wipe the OS and reinstall using Apploader. Even if you did this in the first place, do it again. Sounds like you have a bad install. Use shrink to give yourself a lot of free files. Delete crap that comes with the OS. Do three battery pulls after you load the OS. I mean three in a row. There is no reason for an OS to freeze and reboot on you. Wipe it and fix it.

At least that is my advice, even though you didn't ask for advice. Just a thought that it might help you.

FWIW, I have noticed a seconds lag when waking the phone from sitting on the charger. It doesn't make me irrational tho. A second is a second...not a minute. Also, since TB6 is still in beta, and a poor one at that, use those several OS6 themes carefully. I would run themes only form someone you trust. There is a great possibility that some of them leak memory or have bugs...through the fault of RIM, not the developers. They are only working with what they have and I think that was the point you were making as well. I agree with you there. Why was such incomplete software released?
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 02-05-11 at 12:22 PM.
    02-05-11 12:17 PM
    Agree
    You say that it took you over 3 hours to install the OS6 update? What did you do? If it was an OTA install then no wonder you are having problems.

Wipe the OS and reinstall using Apploader. Even if you did this in the first place, do it again. Sounds like you have a bad install. Use shrink to give yourself a lot of free files. Delete crap that comes with the OS. Do three battery pulls after you load the OS. I mean three in a row. There is no reason for an OS to freeze and reboot on you. Wipe it and fix it.

At least that is my advice, even though you didn't ask for advice. Just a thought that it might help you.

FWIW, I have noticed a seconds lag when waking the phone from sitting on the charger. It doesn't make me irrational tho. A second is a second...not a minute. Also, since TB6 is still in beta, and a poor one at that, use those several OS6 themes carefully. I would run themes only form someone you trust. There is a great possibility that some of them leak memory or have bugs...through the fault of RIM, not the developers. They are only working with what they have and I think that was the point you were making as well. I agree with you there. Why was such incomplete software released?
    I agree with you jaydee. I have had none of the issues posted above. As I've said before in other threads, why anyone would do the OTA update is beyond me! Btween download from BlackBerry, installing on PC and loading with BBSAK, I think the whole process took about 15 minutes. Yes, at first the battery life did drop. As this OS settles in (I loaded the official on Thursday) I'm noticing my battery life is getting back to what it was with .333. I expect it to surpass it soon.

Speaking of battery life...why do people get upset after "an all night charge" to find the battery drops 10%? There is no such thing as an all night charge. It only takes about 45 minutes to charge my battery completely from 10%. Once it reaches full charge, it is no longer charging.

Anyway... I would advise anyone with these issues that did the OTA upgrade to 6.0 to download to their computer and use apploader or BBSAK to load again. I have no issues and am really enjoying 6.0!i

02-05-11 08:58 PM
    @Darshone - this isn't a blog, spare us the rant. This is about glitches, not your trials and tribulations. If it took 3 hours to install BB6, sounds like a bad case of user error.

Getting this back on topic, OP this is an example of a glitch

Last edited by pcgizmo; 02-09-11 at 10:00 AM.
    02-09-11 09:56 AM
    If you are on Verizon it has a built in one. All you have to do is click on the section between the sound icon on left, and search button on right, the section that shows how many messages you have and what not, its sorts them all out and shows 3 spots of your calendar.
    02-09-11 09:04 PM
    How bout in the messages folder. (N) take you to previous day and (P) takes you to the next day. What's up with that?

02-10-11 02:09 AM
    Just purchased Today Plus from BGT. OMG no more chasing ALL,Frequent,Downloads etc. It's a lifesaver. Thanks to all who posted about Today Plus
    02-12-11 06:32 PM
    having the same issues as DarshOne...wiped and reloaded the OS several time, get several lock ups a day, battery life less than 12 hours, and sometimes my phone won't get out of the sleep mode for a full minute...it's pretty ridiculous
    02-13-11 01:09 AM
    I have several of the issues listed in that long rant, as well as some additional ones.

My phone blinks exactly 10 times before the audio tone when I receive and SMS message, and after that tone, blinks 4 more times before the icon appears and I can actually click anything. It is completely frozen and unresponsive between the start of the LED blinking and when I can finally click it, 14 LED flashes later. This does not happen for WhatsApp messages and I haven't done a real trial with emails like I have with SMS.

In addition, there is ALWAYS a single horizontal line, one pixel thick, on every photo I take with the camera since updating to VZW's OS6 from the last VZW OS5 version. The line is never in the same place, so it is not just a line of burnt pixels nor a discernible lens issue. This has happened from the first photo I took since upgrading and occurred literally zero times with OS5.

I'm not mentioning these to whine, I'm actually trying to contribute. Those are two major issues I am having.
    02-13-11 04:37 AM
    DarshOne, I feel your PAIN concerning this lackluster of an operating system. I too have been tryin to figure out what RIM was thinking when they created this.....**** . I'm also caught between Blackberry's keypad and everyone else technology, belive me when I say I've weighed the pro and cons at lease a 1,000 times. I waited for this OS6 with very high hopes boy was I dissappointed. Their are a few things that keep me a part of the BLACKBERRY family, its an excellent talking device, battery life is the best around, the different type themes, and the unmeasurable amount of help I get from the blackberry community. For me the bottom line is I need to talk when its time to talk everything else is extra and Blackberry is a excellent communication device thats proven and long lasting.
    02-13-11 08:03 AM
    I have several of the issues listed in that long rant, as well as some additional ones.

My phone blinks exactly 10 times before the audio tone when I receive and SMS message, and after that tone, blinks 4 more times before the icon appears and I can actually click anything. It is completely frozen and unresponsive between the start of the LED blinking and when I can finally click it, 14 LED flashes later. This does not happen for WhatsApp messages and I haven't done a real trial with emails like I have with SMS.

In addition, there is ALWAYS a single horizontal line, one pixel thick, on every photo I take with the camera since updating to VZW's OS6 from the last VZW OS5 version. The line is never in the same place, so it is not just a line of burnt pixels nor a discernible lens issue. This has happened from the first photo I took since upgrading and occurred literally zero times with OS5.

I'm not mentioning these to whine, I'm actually trying to contribute. Those are two major issues I am having.
    Sounds like a hardware issue. How many different handsets have you tried? And none of them work properly?
    02-13-11 08:07 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD