Hello, First off, I really tried hard to figure this problem out by myself but after hours of trying it still won't work.. I just got the phone yesterday (First time BlackBerry user )
    The problem is that when I connect my phone to my computer, it recognizes the device, but not as an external device.

I have:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130 (Verizon)
    O.S. 4.5.0.175
    4 GB Micro SDHC

-The media card settings are on:
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption More: None
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt (I have tried it on Yes)
    -My phone recognizes the SD card because it shows how much space is left on the card.
    -I have formatted through the phone
    -I have removed the battery for more than 5 minutes
    -I have turned the phone on and off.
    -I have tried it with another 4 GB Micro SDHC and it's exactly the same.
    -I have tried another wire.
    -I have tried on another laptop.
    -I have tried all USB ports on my laptop.
    -The USB ports work fine with other things like USB drives and external hard drives.
    -When I open BB Desktop Manager, it recognizes the device but when I go to device options it says "You need to turn on mass storage mode from the connected BlackBerry device to use this feature. This may require you to restart your device."
    -It does not show up in "My Computer"
    -When I put music and pictures onto the card itself (through a SD slot I have on my laptop) it shows up on my phone fine.

I would really like to find a solution but if no one can help me then I am fine with putting file onto the SD card itself, but how can I move apps and stuff from my phone memory onto the SD card? So far I have only downloaded the Weather Channel app and it's taken up almost all my phone memory. I can't seem to figure out how to make my phone use the external memory instead of the phone memory. Thanks if anyone can help!
    02-03-11 11:19 AM
    What OS are you running on your computer?
    02-03-11 03:36 PM
    You may need to download and install the USB/modem drivers, definitely if you're using XP. And your 64mb of application memory is all you get - cannot use your SD card for software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 05:52 PM
    Windows Vista. Oh and I realized that you can't move apps onto the media card... bummer

P.S. When I go to properties on BB Desktop Manager.. under "Device Connections" "COM3" is disabled.. is it supposed to be like that? The only thing I can do to it is change the maximum speed and if I do it says that it is "disconnected" instead..
    02-03-11 05:54 PM
    Windows Vista. Oh and I realized that you can't move apps onto the media card... bummer

P.S. When I go to properties on BB Desktop Manager.. under "Device Connections" "COM3" is disabled.. is it supposed to be like that? The only thing I can do to it is change the maximum speed and if I do it says that it is "disconnected" instead..
    You aren't using a COM3 port, so that's ok. You may need to go into Device Manager and delete all blackberry or RIM entries from the USB hub towards the bottom of the list, then reboot your computer, and plug in your Pearl. Vista should get the correct drivers at that point, but then again, it's Vista.

02-03-11 05:58 PM
    You aren't using a COM3 port, so that's ok. You may need to go into Device Manager and delete all blackberry or RIM entries from the USB hub towards the bottom of the list, then reboot your computer, and plug in your Pearl. Vista should get the correct drivers at that point, but then again, it's Vista.

Oh. How would I go about doing that?
    When I go into device manager I have "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4)" and "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM5)" under "Ports (COM & LPT)" Is that what you're talking about? Am I supposed to uninstall those?

Or am I supposed to go under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".. I see about 7 "USB Root Hub"s there if that is what you are talking about.. How can I check the entries on them?
    02-03-11 07:05 PM
    Oh. How would I go about doing that?
    When I go into device manager I have "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4)" and "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM5)" under "Ports (COM & LPT)" Is that what you're talking about? Am I supposed to uninstall those?

Or am I supposed to go under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".. I see about 7 "USB Root Hub"s there if that is what you are talking about.. How can I check the entries on them?
    Don't touch the root hub(s) unless one says BlackBerry and/or RIM specifically, and yes on deleting the virtual ports - right click on them and delete, afterwards restart.

02-03-11 07:22 PM
    Don't touch the root hub(s) unless one says BlackBerry and/or RIM specifically, and yes on deleting the virtual ports - right click on them and delete, afterwards restart.

It didn't work
    02-03-11 07:54 PM
    Try pulling out the battery while the device is connected, wait until the phone puts up a no charging symbol of some kind. I forgot what it looks like on 4.x. Then put the battery back in. If I was at home I could be of more assistance but at the moment this is all I can do - suggestions.

Edit: after I get home I can compare notes, my last BB was a 8130, still sitting in a drawer.

dempurah likes this.
    02-03-11 08:26 PM
    Try pulling out the battery while the device is connected, wait until the phone puts up a no charging symbol of some kind. I forgot what it looks like on 4.x. Then put the battery back in. If I was at home I could be of more assistance but at the moment this is all I can do - suggestions.

Edit: after I get home I can compare notes, my last BB was a 8130, still sitting in a drawer.

It didn't work..
    Thanks a lot but you don't need to go through any more trouble. I mean I can still add music and etc through the SD slot on my laptop and Blackberry Desktop Manager still recognizes my phone so it's not necessary to get it to connect.. I was just hoping for it to be more convenient.. Thanks again for your help
    02-03-11 09:01 PM
    It didn't work..
    Thanks a lot but you don't need to go through any more trouble. I mean I can still add music and etc through the SD slot on my laptop and Blackberry Desktop Manager still recognizes my phone so it's not necessary to get it to connect.. I was just hoping for it to be more convenient.. Thanks again for your help
    No problem, figured I'd give as much help as I could having used a 8130 with Vista as well but not being in front of a computer at the moment.

Also if you aren't already using it, use DM 4.6 - I didn't upgrade DM until I had a device with OS5 on it. Just a suggestion, no concrete proof it's the answer.

02-03-11 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD