Hoping to get some info and opinions. I've only had a BB with Boost Mobile using the 8350i so of course I've not enjoyed the RIM email and my network is of course slower however the price per month has been great!
    I am leaning towards going to ATT (if I can find out for sure if they pick up well enough in my small town, I know Verizon does and hope ATT will as well). I was wondering is it worth switching to more money a month? Will I enjoy it that much more being able to use Facebook and other apps the way they are supposed to be and a better network speed? Let me know what you guys think. I really think I'd love the Torch but don't want to regret it if it's not that much better and costs almost twice as much.
    02-02-11 03:21 PM
    Before you get inundated with people who will tell you that there are a million threads dedicated to people's views on the torch and you should do a search, let me give you my opinion...

First of all, let me say that I've had it since it came out and I love it. IMO it is by far the best blackberry ever made, and it keeps getting better as the OS gets updated and the developers create new themes and apps for it.. it is not an Iphone though and part of why i love it is because it is first and foremost a business phone for me and BB is still the best phone on the market for business use, period.

As for any phone, the key question is what will you be using it for? If your sole purpose is to make phone calls, surf the net and play with facebook and other apps, then the Torch is probably not for you. There are not a lot of social/fun apps like you will find on android or apple phones. The real benefits are the combination of the touch screen and the slider and the business functionality with some fun thrown in like social feeds, media capability and increasingly some apps to play with. So figure out what your going to want to use and then do your research. If your just interested in a social phone look at the other platforms as well before leaping for the Torch. If your a dedicated blackberry user though and you want to stay with RIM, then the Torch is awesome and has delivered above and beyond my expectations.

Just my opinion. As always, best thing to do is find a store and play with a few devices to see what you like best...

Hope that helps.
    tumblingdice03 likes this.
    02-02-11 03:27 PM
    I also came from the 8350i, on Nextel. I can't speak to whether the cost is worth it to you, but I can tell you the device difference is night and day. Mine is a company-provided phone, and the ease in which I can navigate email attachments alone makes it worthwhile.

This is the only phone I have. I dumped my land line, and the Torch is very well suited to covering personal and business needs. AT&T is a big improvement to me, as Nextel/Sprint was just too limiting by having coverage only along interstates and metro areas. I expect you'll be very satisfied with the Torch, but if not you have the exchange period
    tumblingdice03 likes this.
    02-02-11 03:31 PM
    Quick answer... i have been an iphone user for years.. last was the iphone 3GS and i chose the Torch when it first came out Aug 12, 2010.. and i still like it up to now.
    BUT... You are not ME.

like the next guy, you have your own individual needs and wants for a phone..
    why don't you make a checklist? write down the pros and the cons.. of all the smartphone out there..

Lastly, choose the network...then pick a phone in that network..
    it doesn't make sense even if you have the latest gadget out there if you won't be getting a good signal.
    02-02-11 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the info. I actually have been researching other threads and other sites as well. I just wanted to get a feel from others that may have came from the Nextel side and how much better it may be.
    I don't talk all that much on the phone so it's mostly for email and such with some social sites on the web. I'm in love with the BB so really don't think any other phone would do it for me.
    02-02-11 03:35 PM
    I'm very happy with mine. I even like it better than my Bold 9000 which everyone seems to love!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 04:18 PM
    Ditto for me. I couldn't go back to my 9000, as much as I thought it was irreplaceable. I also believe the 9800 is the best BB so far and as long as you are satisfied with your carrier and are happy with the way BB's do things, give it a go!
    02-02-11 04:57 PM
    In your experience will ATT work well in an area that shows as "moderate" on their site map? I'm in a very small town and don't know anyone in the area to ask about ATT so hoping you guys have experience with that. The map shows good with moderate colors for my area on the ATT site. I hate to pay deposit ect. and not be able to use it at home.
    02-02-11 05:08 PM
    In your experience will ATT work well in an area that shows as "moderate" on their site map? I'm in a very small town and don't know anyone in the area to ask about ATT so hoping you guys have experience with that. The map shows good with moderate colors for my area on the ATT site. I hate to pay deposit ect. and not be able to use it at home.
    i don't know.
    but you can avail of the 30 days that they'll give you..
    cancel on the 29th day if you're not happy with the coverage..
    and you won't have to be locked in their 2 yr commitment plan.
    and you can return the phone as well.
    02-04-11 11:38 AM
    Go for it. If you dont like it sent it back. Easy

02-04-11 01:07 PM
    Ditto for me. I couldn't go back to my 9000, as much as I thought it was irreplaceable. I also believe the 9800 is the best BB so far and as long as you are satisfied with your carrier and are happy with the way BB's do things, give it a go!
    Same for me. Love the bold 9000 and miss the keyboard, however, the bigger screen plus touch makes the 9800 a winner in my eyes. I'm loving mines with the OS upgrades.
    02-04-11 03:12 PM
    i too went from a 9000 to the 9800 and don't regret the change one bit!

i am a very, very happy camper
    02-05-11 12:38 AM
    Posting a question like this on the 9800 forums will offcourse give you biased similar answers from everyone: WORTH IT

But the 9800 is a good BB if you are into Touch screen phones if you ask me.

I had the Torch for 7 days, wasn't my thing, didn't like the flat physical keyboard now was I happy about the low capacity battery.

But if those 2 are not a big issue for you, then go for it
    02-05-11 05:39 AM
    another argument that i can throw in the mix is this..
    with the Blackberry Torch you can get it for FREE or at least as $9 if you're a new AT&T customer or if you're eligible for an upgrade.
    as for the iphone.. the cheapest you can get is $49, again if you're a NEW or eligible for a 2 yr upgrade type of subscriber.
    if you plan to get the iphone 4, you'll be paying at least $199 for the entry level.
    in this economy, anything that can save you a buck is WORTH it for me!
    02-05-11 08:49 AM
    Currently on a bold 9000 not on contract, was thinking of getting BB torch but have arthritis quite bad in my hands and not sure if it will be easier to use. Is the touch screen easy to use?

02-05-11 08:59 AM
    I haven't read the responses to your post yet, but GO FOR IT!!

I just did the same, switching up to the Torch and not regretting it. It's an amazing phone.
    It's easier to use than you think. I sometimes for get that I can touch the screen. The use of screen and the keyboard is great depending on what your preference is.
    There is a 'social feeds' page for those who are deeply into Facbook and twitter.

Check what AT&T is offering on their website. Sometimes you can get the phone for almost nothing, or for nothing! Don't see any deals online? Then call them. That's what I did and I got the phone for almost zero, plus they paid the shipping!
    And it was sent out the same day and arrived in 2 two days!
    The service was great and the people on the phone were helpful and courteous.
    Check their plans and get what you need to make your Blackberry experience even better.
    All this I say as a shopper looking for the best deal.
    02-05-11 09:54 AM
    Currently on a bold 9000 not on contract, was thinking of getting BB torch but have arthritis quite bad in my hands and not sure if it will be easier to use. Is the touch screen easy to use?

I find it easy to use. However, keep in mind that its not quite the same as the iPhone. The trackpad on the Torch functions as a mouse. As such it works very well to insert the cursor to edit or insert text, or to click links where accuracy is important. iPhone doesn't have this, but since the iPhone's screen is better and larger it's not as important to have as it is with the Torch screen.

Double tap to zoom and format based on the resize is my favorite function on the touchscreen. It's quick and easy and doesn't require accuracy to use. Pinch to zoom works well, but it doesn't reformat the way double tap does, so you'll likely need to pan the screen if you use it.

Torch may or may not be for you if you do a lot of onscreen typing. iPhone is simply better, but the Torch isn't too far behind. I find it easier to type on a physical keyboard. The Torch keyboard is slightly cramped in comparison to the Bold or Curve. Best bet is probably to go to a store and try it out the way you plan to use it before buying.
    02-05-11 01:50 PM
    Of course its worth it. Att has it now for $99. Ip4 are still $200. Att is a good company if there is any good companies. I'm not upset one bit I gave $200 for mh Torch. Its worth every penny.

02-05-11 07:14 PM
    Thanks alt rocks for your input, think I will go in have a play around with it in the store before switching over. Thanks

02-05-11 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD