BlackBerry PlayBook is �€˜dead on arrival�€™, analyst claims | BGR | Boy Genius Report

BGR has just posted this article...and yes, I do realize it's BGR! Please don't shoot the messenger!
    02-01-11 03:13 PM
    Its actually referencing something on CNBC:

News Headlines

Seems like this "analyst" Brian Blair thinks that it will be a flop because it requires the "bridge" for e-mail, calendar, and Address Book, and that consumers won't buy it because of this. Other than that he doesn't provide much else. He was also bearish back in December on them:

RIM Rises: Price Targets, Estimates Up All Around - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

So possibly he's upset because he's shorting the stock and it keeps going up!
    02-01-11 03:30 PM
    Its actually referencing something on CNBC:

News Headlines

Seems like this "analyst" Brian Blair thinks that it will be a flop because it requires the "bridge" for e-mail, calendar, and Address Book, and that consumers won't buy it because of this. Other than that he doesn't provide much else. He was also bearish back in December on them:

RIM Rises: Price Targets, Estimates Up All Around - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

So possibly he's upset because he's shorting the stock and it keeps going up!

I am not so sure about keeps going up! but I guess one can just ignore the days it goes down.

I like this guy though and I might steal from him. He says Playbook is an "expensive browser". brilliant.
    02-01-11 03:43 PM
    WHOA! You HAVE to tether for email and such? If so, no sale for me. I want a wifi version or some tablet and I need it ALL on the tablet, not from somewhere else.
    02-01-11 03:46 PM
    Meh, let's see what happens.
    Unless Brian what's his noname has actually tested one its all bullocks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 03:48 PM
    I'll never understand this issue. With my laptop I open email via the web as well as view my calendar via the web. Why would people want a separate calendar and email on the tablet? I am excited to get one though and since I use a BB I suppose if I cared then this would solve that issue as well.
    02-01-11 03:51 PM
    I don't think it will be DOA but you can almost bet that the sales guy at BestBuy when trying to sell this to a consumer is going to mention needing a BB and using the bridge and talk the PB down.

If the customer questions it I bet they will try to point them to the iPad or an Android tablet and try to sell some type of replacement/warranty plan with it and let me explain why.

I'm not sure what Best Buy does but when I was working part time at an office supply store if we sold a plan on an item, if that product was returned the commission you made was taken off. So you could already got paid and then by next paycheck you see a deduction for a returned plan on your check, that hurts especially when you only worked just a few hours that weekend, our managers pushed selling plans.

I wouldn't hard sale anyone but depending on the persons body language and tone I would try to make sure there was a good chance of them keeping the product and plan. I'm not sure how they do it now but if in that position if we sold PlayBooks, iPads & Androids I would be sure to let the customer know real well about the bridge because what they're going to do is get home and not have a blackberry and then wonder why they can't get email on it, a friend or relative is going to mention doing it on another device.

The last thing you want is for them to have buyers remorse and return everything and not just get a different device and keep the plan.
    02-01-11 03:51 PM
    I hope that RIM doesn't be stupid and require tethering for email etc on a wifi device. I am up in the air on a tablet, my wife got the first gen ipad and loves it, but I need more to replace my laptop. I got a desktop to do bigger things, but my laptop doesn't do much and I do alot on ipad except flash and such. Webos tablet is on the radar as well. I don't' really want an android one.

I'll never understand this issue. With my laptop I open email via the web as well as view my calendar via the web. Why would people want a separate calendar and email on the tablet? I am excited to get one though and since I use a BB I suppose if I cared then this would solve that issue as well.
    Simple answer, apple did it and more complex answer is other tablets will have it. Email client that is BUILT for you tablet os is better than a web page. Sure, you can do webmail but the tablet sitting there and pulling email is alot more appealing.
    Last edited by sandmanfvr; 02-01-11 at 03:54 PM.
    02-01-11 03:52 PM
    Because a tablet is suppose to be an on the go device. You don't want to sit there and have to open up multiple web accounts when you can have an app that will pull them all in and you can reply from one convenient location.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    02-01-11 03:54 PM
    Because a tablet is suppose to be an on the go device. You don't want to sit there and have to open up multiple web accounts when you can have an app that will pull them all in and you can reply from one convenient location.
    Exactly, better than my reasons.
    02-01-11 03:55 PM
    I'll be the first to admit that the Playbook has its fault, no tethering, no BBM etc but I wouldn't trust anything coming from CNBC. They always have a bias. I wouldn't be surprise if Wedge Partners or Brian Blair has investments in either Google or Apple or in the failure of RIM. I believe the Playbook will sell with consumers. Not as much as the Xoom but RIM will be alright. These are all problems that can be easily fixed in time.
    02-01-11 03:56 PM
    I hope that RIM doesn't be stupid and require tethering for email etc on a wifi device. I am up in the air on a tablet, my wife got the first gen ipad and loves it, but I need more to replace my laptop. I got a desktop to do bigger things, but my laptop doesn't do much and I do alot on ipad except flash and such. Webos tablet is on the radar as well. I don't' really want an android one.
    With the wifi version you will need a BlackBerry for email. The playbook pretty much just displays whats on your phone. It won't have the ability to have email pushed to it. Not right away unless a developer already has an app in the works.
    Unless you want to log into each of your accts via a web page

I'm pretty sure the 3G/4G will be stand alone and not need a blackberry.
    Don't pay much heed to what sensationalist news headlines (and some "analyst") say, wait until it is released and let the sales numbers speak for themselves.
    I don't view pulling up my email via the web on a tablet as not on the go. It's set to stay logged in just like an email client on the tablet would be. One click...and there you go. But that's just me. I have no issue if somebody else wants the icon that combines them all. It's just not something that concerns me.
    With the wifi version you will need a BlackBerry for email. The playbook pretty much just displays whats on your phone. It won't have the ability to have email pushed to it. Not right away unless a developer already has an app in the works.
    Unless you want to log into each of your accts via a web page

I'm pretty sure the 3G/4G will be stand alone and not need a blackberry.
    If this so, no go with playbook for me. Lazy is what this is and RIM should know better.
    02-01-11 03:58 PM
    Using web based mail you won't get push notifications. Also when using a web based email acct the screen may not be really set up to take advantage of a tablet or touch screen. That can mean a lot of pinch to zoom in and out.

Just different strokes for different folks. I'll admit I may be spoiled. I have all my emails pushed and it's just a lot easier than having to go to each web page to check email.
    02-01-11 04:01 PM
    people are overlooking one important aspect of tethering, the cool part is that you may be able to be on a call on your Blackberry and at the sametime you will be able to view or reply your emails or BBM or update your calendar on the Playbook, all these activities will be synced back and forth seamlessly to your BB and henceforth while you are still talking on your BB. This will only multiply your productivity as you talk and text at the sametime with one data plan.

So the point is that RIM wants to: (i) get the device into market as quickly as possible, and (ii) target those segments that are RIM�s longtime strongholds (Enterprise/IT dept and consumers who currently carry a BB). This go-to-market� approach ticks all of those boxes. Rest assured they will enable these features shortly thereafter as they look to expand Playbook�s addressable market.
    02-01-11 04:01 PM
    I am not so sure about keeps going up! but I guess one can just ignore the days it goes down.
    Since the Playbook was announced the stock has gone from $45 per share, to now at $60. Sure their are days or weeks in that window that it went down, but Apple doesn't go up every day or week either. Stock was performing poorly before that.

I like this guy though and I might steal from him. He says Playbook is an "expensive browser". brilliant.
    Seriously what does this thing not do that other tablets do?

Apps: Check
    Browser: Check
    e-Reader: Check
    Movie and Music: Check
    Games: Check

What am I missing?
    02-01-11 04:03 PM
    Since the Playbook was announced the stock has gone from $45 per share, to now at $60. Sure their are days or weeks in that window that it went down, but Apple doesn't go up every day or week either. Stock was performing poorly before that.

Seriously what does this thing not do that other tablets do?

Apps: Check
    Browser: Check
    e-Reader: Check
    Movie and Music: Check
    Games: Check

What am I missing?
    If rumors right, email, contacts and calendar without a damn blackberry to tether. The ipad doens't require the iphone to work.
    slbailey1 and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    02-01-11 04:05 PM
    Using web based mail you won't get push notifications. Also when using a web based email acct the screen may not be really set up to take advantage of a tablet or touch screen. That can mean a lot of pinch to zoom in and out.

Just different strokes for different folks. I'll admit I may be spoiled. I have all my emails pushed and it's just a lot easier than having to go to each web page to check email.
    incorrect, gmail can do a push even on the browser, test opening a browser and try sending an email to your account and should see it in the browser. pinch to zoom should also work on the tablet browser unless it is a video you are viewing.
    02-01-11 04:05 PM
    people are overlooking one important aspect of tethering, the cool part is that you may be able to be on a call on your Blackberry and at the sametime you will be able to view or reply your emails or BBM or update your calendar on the Playbook, all these activities will be synced back and forth seamlessly to your BB and henceforth while you are still talking on your BB. This will only multiply your productivity as you talk and text at the sametime with one data plan.

So the point is that RIM wants to: (i) get the device into market as quickly as possible, and (ii) target those segments that are RIM�s longtime strongholds (Enterprise/IT dept and consumers who currently carry a BB). This go-to-market� approach ticks all of those boxes. Rest assured they will enable these features shortly thereafter as they look to expand Playbook�s addressable market.
    If a tablet can push email, you can be on your phone and tablet at the same time. The using your phone data to send email really isn't a bonus if you have a smart phone that can create a hotspot, your tablet could connect to it and send emails using that data plan.

The tether may be an asset for those with sensitive email but I think you're more prone to lose your phone than a tablet.

Some 3rd party will release some mail app or RIM will have to bite the bullet and do it.

Either way the email issue is going to get talked about. Even the guy I think it was on MSNBC gave it praise but mentioned the con about the email.
    02-01-11 04:07 PM
    If rumors right, email, contacts and calendar without a damn blackberry to tether. The ipad doens't require the iphone to work.
    I like the fact it all sticks in the BlackBerry smartphone. Different strokes for different folks, but this is a deal-sealer for me. Once I get a HSPA+ device, then we'll be cooking with gas and them some. Will be helpful while sat on the train to such and such a place.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-01-11 04:08 PM
    incorrect, gmail can do a push even on the browser, test opening a browser and try sending an email to your account and should see it in the browser. pinch to zoom should also work on the tablet browser unless it is a video you are viewing.
    So Gmail web browser gives you an alert when you get an email? I think it simple refreshes and yes the email will be there on the refresh but you will have no way of knowing until you actually check.
    02-01-11 04:09 PM
    Using web based mail you won't get push notifications.
    but thats a moot point, purely because your talking about a wifi only device, so it`ll work much in the same way as a laptop or wifi only tablet will at the moment, push is brilliant, but it ent gonna do anything when your not on wifi so the difference isnt that big
    dodger_moore likes this.
    02-01-11 04:14 PM
    because it's a pain in the you know what. People are going to reject this as it's nothing more than an expensive browser.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    02-01-11 04:17 PM
520 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD