I've got a 9650, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to perform the upgrade. I tend to like my BB organized a certain way with extra folders for email, favorites, etc. I know that the upgrade will wipe all that stuff out, and it'll take me hours to get it back after the upgrade. The BB's fine with 5.0, what do you guys think?
    01-31-11 06:51 PM
    I've just stuck with 5.0 I don't like all those homescreen trays in 6

If you really wanted to find out for yourself, you could just backup now. Load OS6.
    If you don't like it then just go back to your OS and restore your backup so that
    everything is back the way it was.
    01-31-11 06:55 PM
    Yeah, I could see doing it if I had a touchscreen. I don't have the need to be on the latest o/s. Plus I'm eligible to upgrade in April, I hope they have some new BB's coming out. Verizon hasn't been very good about getting new devices.
    01-31-11 06:58 PM
    I downloaded the upgrade on Friday morning, it is fantastic. I too like to have my BB organized with specific folders. Did not take me long to get up and running with the new interface. It is slick, I am very happy I did.
    01-31-11 06:59 PM
    I've got a 9650, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to perform the upgrade. I tend to like my BB organized a certain way with extra folders for email, favorites, etc. I know that the upgrade will wipe all that stuff out, and it'll take me hours to get it back after the upgrade. The BB's fine with 5.0, what do you guys think?
    Yes the upgrade is worth it IMO. The OS is smooth and runs great and I love universal search. If you choose to upgrade, backup you device with DM, I recommend downloading the OS to your computer and installing the loader.exe file. After you DL go to program files> common files> research in motion> apploader to install. I just think that BB 6 has so much more to offer than OS 5.Try it few days you can always go back to OS5.
    01-31-11 07:12 PM
    Since it's kind of a personal preference thing the only way for you to know is to try it on for size and see if it's a fit. As already mentioned do a DM backup and you can easily go back to 5 if need be. Personally I love it, but only after giving myself an honest evaluation of it. Don't be judgmental about it at first. Give it a chance.
    01-31-11 07:38 PM
    I agree with all of the comments about BB6, it is really a great OS; that said, there is no reason not to load BB6 because of your choice to be very organized. I have 3 email folders (I hide the general email one), txt msgs, 4 folders with apps and the BeWeather icon on my icons page. The trays are no longer a problem since we now have themes coming out which can and do eliminate the trays. I would be happy to have the trays if I had some control over them, perhaps in BB6.1 we'll get that but until then I'm happy without. I'm running Al3azim's "Newberry" theme which has a very clean look to it and no trays, I'm happy as a clam with it.

If you are going to do a test BB6, do create a backup. Don't just do one with DM, I recommend backing up 3rd party apps with BBSAK, DM does a good job with backing up your data but leaves something to be desired on 3rd party apps.
    01-31-11 07:49 PM
    We all have our opinions but like others have said, only you can determine if the upgrade is worth it. I wasn't sure if I would like OS 6 but I upgraded anyway. Now I prefer OS 6 and don't plan on on downgrading.
    01-31-11 08:27 PM
    I'm very happy with the new OS. I was pretty serious about getting the iPhone but after upgrading, I'm really happy with my BlackBerry again. Do it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-11 10:09 PM
    The new os is very amazing I think. I love the new universal search feature probably the best part of the upgrade
    01-31-11 10:16 PM
    Those you upgraded....were you able to re-organize into some semblance of what you had under 5, and how long did it take you?
    01-31-11 10:22 PM
    it takes a little bit of time to get accustomed to the new OS. but after playing around with it for a few days, everything feels natural.

my only gripe is the internet browser. Its really meant for touch screen phones, such as the iphone and droids... RIM could easily stuck with their old browser.. or at least give users an option for column view. i dont really like panning left/right in order to read my website.

not sure if its the OS.. but loading websites on the phone is much slower than OS5. and i am also using wi-fi.
    01-31-11 11:33 PM
    there are many themes out there too right now.

Definately worth is especially that for the webkit browser and the universal search!
    02-01-11 04:59 AM
    Those you upgraded....were you able to re-organize into some semblance of what you had under 5, and how long did it take you?
    No... not really. Never could find a way to return contacts to the previous view w/ more info.

Browser column view is available but it is not called that. Sorry I can't check to see what it is right now as my phone is going thru the rollback process as I type.

I'm rolling mine back to the previous version. V6.0 is pretty but contacts don't show up properly, adding numbers to groups doesn't work correctly (especially with contacts having multiple numbers... which the contact app calls "addresses" ?!?! ) and a few other things just are too big a pain to deal with. Huge address bar takes 1/4 the screen & those damned "trays"... less said the better.

I'm like you - I want it organized a certain way and those ways were "prettied up" and made difficult/impossible to use. (Not everyone has 8 hours to play and learn - I need it functional NOW.)

It does look pretty... but functional/useful means more to me. If this were a personal phone that I could just play with - ok. But being able to quickly find what I'm looking for and have it in a usable, familiar format is more important.
    Last edited by lunghd_2; 02-01-11 at 07:28 AM.
    02-01-11 07:12 AM
    It is worth the upgrade. Emails are rendered better, the UI looks "updated" and internet browsing is a lot lot better. Battery life is not great though (in my case.)
    02-01-11 08:20 AM
    I upgraded, but D/L the theme that does away with the tray on the home screen. I did the 6 upgrade via my Mac DM, just plugged it in to the phone and walked away for a while. MOST of my icons were left as they were in OS5, so it only took me about a half hour to adjust the views to my liking. I did however, have to reinstall many of my apps from Blackberry app world.

All in all, I give it an A-. Can't wait until the Bold Touch comes out, THEN you'll be able to use all the OS6 features.
    02-01-11 09:06 AM
    nope nothing exciting for non touch users IMO. I tried twice but it was too annoying so I switched back to 5.0

it didn't increase my productivity (actually decreased it with 2 clicks required for app selector instead of one for all other RIM OS))
    02-01-11 09:09 AM
    do the upgrade os6 will get better as time goes by
    02-01-11 09:44 AM
    Very true! It has matured alot since its first release and things will only get better in the near future
    02-01-11 10:01 AM
    I had not upgraded because of the lack of themes, bu now there are plenty to go about, my preferred is Al3azim's Newberry6, it does away with the scrolling trays and i am a happy camper. as far as the rest, it is faster boot up, not thrilled with the browser so i use bolt instead,don't understand how to make the universal search work yet or it might be disable with the theme, but since the theme is what i want i will accept if it is disabled.
    02-01-11 10:17 AM
    I upgraded and sort of wished I hadn't. It is a little sleeker, faster and battery life seems OK too, but the old system was OK for me as well. I Can't get Berryweather or a few other apps to work properly or the way they did before and I don't like the text message set-up they have. On the bright side, I haven't had a reboot while trying to take a picture so that is good. It does take some getting used to. Bottom line is under 5.975 everything worked the way I wanted and was fine for what I use the Bold. Under 6.0 the possibilities seem endless, but I still can't get back to where I was before the upgrade.
    02-01-11 10:25 AM
    No... not really. Never could find a way to return contacts to the previous view w/ more info.

Browser column view is available but it is not called that. Sorry I can't check to see what it is right now as my phone is going thru the rollback process as I type.

I'm rolling mine back to the previous version. V6.0 is pretty but contacts don't show up properly, adding numbers to groups doesn't work correctly (especially with contacts having multiple numbers... which the contact app calls "addresses" ?!?! ) and a few other things just are too big a pain to deal with. Huge address bar takes 1/4 the screen & those damned "trays"... less said the better.

I'm like you - I want it organized a certain way and those ways were "prettied up" and made difficult/impossible to use. (Not everyone has 8 hours to play and learn - I need it functional NOW.)

It does look pretty... but functional/useful means more to me. If this were a personal phone that I could just play with - ok. But being able to quickly find what I'm looking for and have it in a usable, familiar format is more important.
    Contacts display fine on my phone.
    The trays are gone because I have a new theme.
    Universal search kicks a-s-s- over anything OS5 could ever offer.
    Some people just don't like to get out of their comfort zone and see the good in something new. Don't shortchange yourself, OP. Give it a chance and see if YOU like it. Don't go by what others are saying.
    It took a few hours to get things set up the way I wanted. That's all. If you can't devote a few hours to setting up your phone you probably shouldn't be posting on a forum anyway.
    02-01-11 10:56 AM
    Contacts display fine on my phone.
    The trays are gone because I have a new theme.
    Universal search kicks a-s-s- over anything OS5 could ever offer.
    Some people just don't like to get out of their comfort zone and see the good in something new. Don't shortchange yourself, OP. Give it a chance and see if YOU like it. Don't go by what others are saying.
    It took a few hours to get things set up the way I wanted. That's all. If you can't devote a few hours to setting up your phone you probably shouldn't be posting on a forum anyway.
    Now you're a believer eh?

I remember reading posts of yours where you said you were sticking to OS5 and not upgrading to OS6 when it first leaked or something like that.
    02-01-11 11:20 AM
    Now you're a believer eh?

I remember reading posts of yours where you said you were sticking to OS5 and not upgrading to OS6 when it first leaked or something like that.
    Some of us were slow adopters. Tweaking os-6 is the new addiction.
    02-01-11 11:23 AM
    I upgraded and sort of wished I hadn't. It is a little sleeker, faster and battery life seems OK too, but the old system was OK for me as well. I Can't get Berryweather or a few other apps to work properly or the way they did before and I don't like the text message set-up they have. On the bright side, I haven't had a reboot while trying to take a picture so that is good. It does take some getting used to. Bottom line is under 5.975 everything worked the way I wanted and was fine for what I use the Bold. Under 6.0 the possibilities seem endless, but I still can't get back to where I was before the upgrade.
    Maybe your apps are not compatible with OS 6. Go to wherever you got your apps and change the version OS 6. You've got to give OS 6 a chance, stay with it for a few days and see what you think.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    02-01-11 11:24 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD