I have finally realized that a Blackberry is definitely the better communication device for me. Here is why...

I have had the Curve 8330 and the Storm2. Like many others, I got "wooed" by the Android devices, and made the jump to the Droid X back in August 2010. At first, I really liked the device. The web browsing experience, as anyone will tell you, is just fantastic on the DX. However, there are tradeoffs that I did not initially realize.

I started noticing that I was not pounding out e-mails and texts like I did with the S2. I switched back and forth between the Swype keyboard and the regular keyboard, but honestly, I have never really felt comfortable with the non-clicky screen of the DX, whether it be for typing or selecting text. This has affected not only the speed of my replies to my people, but also the amount of content. No comma on the main screen of Multi-touch keyboard? Really?

Two small things that really matter. First, I was missing more calls with the DX than I ever did with either Blackberry. The problem is that the speaker on the DX just stinks. This is something that for my next phone I will surely test out in the store before making the plunge. Second, the LED notification light on the DX is rotten. It's the little things about BB that they get right, and I really notice the LED on the S2 more than the little green light on the DX.

The camera on the DX is good in bright light, and useless in anything but. The camera on my S2 did not take better pictures, but it seemed better in lower-light conditions.

The sound quality from the earpiece speaker is not very good on the DX, compared to the S2. Since I don't like talking on the phone all that much, it's not a huge deal for me, but it is certainly an issue on the DX.

The DX is really good at web browsing, and the Apps in the Android Market are great. No denying that it's better than what RIM offers. However, where it really matters for me, which is text, e-mail, and form-factor, the Blackberry is the superior device.

Hopefully the rumored devices will be out soon. The Bold Touch or Monaco look like my next Smartphone. Of course, I was spoiled with the awesome-fast browsing of the DX, so hopefully the new Blackberries can browse the web decently. I guess I'll get to try it in the VZW Store in the coming months.
    makaveli28 likes this.
    01-30-11 06:42 PM
    As long as you're happy, I'm happy.

FYI, SwiftKey keyboard has a comma on the keyboard.
    01-30-11 06:52 PM
    I appreciate your comments, as I'm nearly on the cusp of switching to Android...I'm just waiting for the Bionic to hit the streets. I'm sure the bright LED will be something I'll miss, despite the fact it USUALLY is blinking due to a very UNimportant email that just came in. I won't make the final decision to buy the Bionic until I spend some quality time with it, as well as scour the internet for comments from early adopters.
    01-30-11 07:22 PM
    Good post. That's really what it's about. Getting a phone that's right for YOU. Of course you may get flamed on, but screw them.

Do you.
    01-30-11 09:39 PM
    Great post. I had a similar experience with the HTC Evo. While it was a fancy phone with cool stuff. It just didnt do the job.
    01-30-11 09:42 PM
    I can relate with the OP in so many ways. I think, just like the OP, BB is a much superior communication devide. Email is fast and the keyboard just blows anything vitually. I acually think all those fancy UI are just distracting time consuming :/.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 11:22 PM
    Same experience with every Android I've had, they don't stack up to a BlackBerry in any way other than the larger market, which I've found to be absolutely worthless after the novelty of it's plethora of pointless apps wore off. The main apps most people use daily can be found on all application markets, even Windows Mobile!
    01-30-11 11:25 PM
    I'll give BB this: its services are better integrated throughout the OS experience; this is one of the reasons it has appeal among newcomers to the smart phone world. It doesn't overwhelm like Android, and iOS (to an extent) can. BeyondTheBox, and I were talking about some of the Android things being overkill.

One of my younger sister's complaints about Android is it wasn't really intuitive. In a way, I saw her point. At the same time, Android's disjointedness lends itself to allowing the user to explore and create its intuitiveness based on his/her own thinking within the provided UI framework.
    01-30-11 11:39 PM
    I have to partially agree with the OP. At the same time, I find that with my Galaxy S, I don't have the same issues.

I constantly am sending emails, chatting via IM apps, SMS, and so on. I quickly adapted to Swype, and use SwiftKey at times when I want to work in landscape mode.

Autotext and the physical keyboard are fast to use. Truncated emails were becoming an issue with my BlackBerry. Since I run my own business, truncated emails hurts my ability to do business. So, even though I like the physical keyboard from my Tour, adapting to Android made it easier to run my business when on the road.

It is more of how a person adapts and uses the device. BlackBerry was great, even though it has its limits. Android is also great, even with its limits.
    01-31-11 07:57 AM
    Good post. That's really what it's about. Getting a phone that's right for YOU. Of course you may get flamed on, but screw them.

Do you.

Very well said.

While I my usage experience differs, I'm all for a consumer getting the device that fits them.
    01-31-11 10:10 AM
    Here we go, another stupid thread boiled down to BB vs The Droid X, what is a better communication device? OY~Come post this at AC and get some feedback from android users, ha ha.

Not going to even drop an opinion, smart people know Androids, iPhone, BB, WIN7, and a few others all work great as communication devices on a decent network.

To piddle things like "speaker" (my Motorola's have always been better than my BBs) "keyboard" preferences and other user specific preferences and try and generalize it into a "this is how it is for everyone" thread is wrong.

OP, keep rolling at CB with your BB (dang I should write music) and I stick with number 1, the big bad Droid X....Bahahahahahah!

OK, the my last rant was childish (he he) but why compare BB to such and OLD Android device? I think it is funny you pit ALL BB's up against a single Droid X.

My last tune, booted my BB, and it took an eternity...
    Missed an email, now I have missed the trail...
    Pulled my battery, because the hour glass wasn't flattering...
    Truncated message, because my BB is besty...

All fun aside, not flaming you OP. I am glad your device communicates well. I have given up BB for Android, because android makes my life more efficient than BB ever did. I can't stand desktop software, goodness that is fail-bow. In all honesty, I think any one of the large OS mobile makers will give one a good communication experience. I Just wouldn't expect any thing more from a BB, while the rest of them will deliver up where BB falls short.
    Last edited by johnly; 01-31-11 at 10:46 AM.
    01-31-11 10:44 AM
    Here we go, another stupid thread boiled down to BB vs The Droid X, what is a better communication device? OY~Come post this at AC and get some feedback from android users, ha ha.

Not going to even drop an opinion, smart people know Androids, iPhone, BB, WIN7, and a few others all work great as communication devices on a decent network.

To piddle things like "speaker" (my Motorola's have always been better than my BBs) "keyboard" preferences and other user specific preferences and try and generalize it into a "this is how it is for everyone" thread is wrong.

OP, keep rolling at CB with your BB (dang I should write music) and I stick with number 1, the big bad Droid X....Bahahahahahah!

OK, the my last rant was childish (he he) but why compare BB to such and OLD Android device? I think it is funny you pit ALL BB's up against a single Droid X.

All fun aside, not flaming you OP. I am glad your device communicates well. I have given up BB for Android, because android makes my life more efficient than BB ever did. I can't stand desktop software, goodness that is fail-bow. In all honesty, I think any one of the large OS mobile makers will give one a good communication experience. I Just wouldn't expect any thing more from a BB, while the rest of them will deliver up where BB falls short.
    What are you on and will you share?
    01-31-11 11:40 AM
    What are you on and will you share?
    ha ha, sure! Mexican food, 2 cups of coffee, and a cold front to navigate to Biology in 30 minutes, he he
    01-31-11 11:49 AM

I agree with this. You can't really generalize all blackberries with all androids. I have both (actually 2 of each) and android does everything that blackberry does. And then more. For the general communication things both do it and do it well (Thank you LL Cool J). It is all preference. If blackberry works best for you that is great. It does not mean that android does these things worse. It just isn't how you like it done. And by 'how you like it' I really mean 'how you are used to'. I have 2 lines, one with a blackberry and one with an android. My blackberry I have to have for work and my android is mty personal line. I like both for different reasons. They both have their ups and downs.
    lssanjose, Johnly and xliderider like this.
    01-31-11 02:33 PM

I imagine you wouldn't be able to make it throughout the day if you left your precious phone...lame.!

I don't even have nothing else to say as you are so full of yourself that it would be pointless...keep on with your bad self and thank god not all Android users are like yourself, granted they keep popping up!

02-03-11 06:43 PM
    I imagine you wouldn't be able to make it throughout the day if you left your precious phone...lame.!

I don't even have nothing else to say as you are so full of yourself that it would be pointless...keep on with your bad self and thank god not all Android users are like yourself, granted they keep popping up!

Want cheese with that whine?
    02-03-11 07:19 PM
    I am happy with my dinc and it is all that matters, it is personal choice.
    I got tired of the issues with my BB but I respect those who have good luck with it.
    It turned out after 3 years not to work for me anymore.
    02-03-11 07:28 PM
    The OP has some valid points. Although, I must point out that the stock keyboard does have a comma readily available without switching screens. Its at the top. You will notice it after you type a word, its the third option. But Android devices just like touchscreen devices are an acquired taste. They aren't for everyone. I have gotten used tto the virtual keyboard. I definitely like it better than the physical keyboards. I do miss auto text but I have been able to get along without it. But I will say this. If you are mostly interested in texting and emails, the BB may be a better choice. BlackBerry smartphones are just so far behind in multimedia features. I couldn't go back to it.

02-03-11 07:41 PM
    The OP has some valid points. Although, I must point out that the stock keyboard does have a comma readily available without switching screens. Its at the top. You will notice it after you type a word, its the third option. But Android devices just like touchscreen devices are an acquired taste. They aren't for everyone. I have gotten used tto the virtual keyboard. I definitely like it better than the physical keyboards. I do miss auto text but I have been able to get along without it. But I will say this. If you are mostly interested in texting and emails, the BB may be a better choice. BlackBerry smartphones are just so far behind in multimedia features. I couldn't go back to it.

SMART KEYBOARD has autotext. trial version is free, but it isn't crippled in any way other than a pop up every now and then to remind you to buy the full version (which is only $3 and worth it IMO) . Just saying.

By the way, smart keyboard is skinable to just about any color or style you could want.

Also the comma is missing on the android keyboard for the voice to text, which is remarkable.

Last edited by hootyhoo; 02-03-11 at 07:55 PM.
    02-03-11 07:52 PM

I believe the 8330 and Storm 2 the OP is comparing are both way older the the Droid X, especially the 8330
    02-04-11 05:52 AM
    I believe the 8330 and Storm 2 the OP is comparing are both way older the the Droid X, especially the 8330
    want a biscuit for that obvious re statement?
    02-04-11 10:42 AM
    Is there a storm 3??? ROFLMAO!
    02-04-11 10:43 AM
    Storm 3 2013.

02-04-11 03:15 PM
    I'm communicating this text from my incredible now and man was it fast!

Not sure my BB would have loaded the site yet for me to communicate on! Though sometimes my BB speeds up a bit after a 15 minute battery pull!
    Last edited by nate8u; 02-04-11 at 11:40 PM.
    02-04-11 11:37 PM
    it would wait for the servers to finish compressing the data.
    02-04-11 11:40 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD