I know this has been discussed before for other BB devices but I was wondering if ppl are having problems with the 9800. It seemed to not be too bad on the 9700 for me but on the 9800 it drains the heck out of it. I've tried it on 3 different 9800s and 3 different OSs so I'm thinking it must be Berryweather itself. I've set it to update every 6 hours and it still seems to consume a ton of battery.
    01-30-11 02:50 PM
    I have BerryWeather and I get excellent battery life. Mine is set to update 1.5hrs and I can easily go a day before I have to charge my Torch. Perhaps it's another app that's causing your battery drain. What other apps do you have?
    01-30-11 03:01 PM
    I thought the same thing so after a fresh install I'm using only BW. Before and after tests reveal that it I can get about 2 days without BW and one day with it. Not terribly scientific because other usage makes a difference but I would say that that is fairly accurate after testing it over a 5 day period.

I realize it appeared to be the culprit in draining Storms and other devices so I'm guessing it is the same here. My 9700 had such an amazing battery that it wasn't really noticable.
    01-30-11 03:24 PM
    I still have my 9700 and the battery life on that thing is AMAZING! I'm a heavy user but can get 2 days without charging my 9700. The Torch with heavy use, I get one day. But I charge my Torch every night so I don't have to worry about the battery. I have a lot of apps on my Torch and it lasts a day easily. There's a lot of users here who have BerryWeather as well. I'm sure they will chime in soon. But I think your battery life is normal.
    01-30-11 03:36 PM
    I use BerryWeather as well. Set to update hourly, with 3 locations. I'm a fairly heavy user, but tend to end the day with 35% to 45% remaining. (SmartWiFi does assitst with this, I'm sure.)

I run Berry Weather without animations, in the simple dark theme. Also, no drop shadows or active advisories. Perhaps that has some bearing?

Take a look at your settings. There may be some economies you might try - even temporarily - to see if there's a difference. Good luck. ~ecm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 04:22 PM
    Of course the 9700 has better battery lifr. The battery is larger.

Try turning down the screen brightness to 10%. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth when not is use. Close any browser windows not being used.

I have had BW on my 9000, 9700 and my Torch and have never had any battery drain.

01-30-11 05:24 PM
    In BW, try checking the update settings and the alerts settings.

01-30-11 05:26 PM
    Of course the 9700 has better battery lifr. The battery is larger.

Try turning down the screen brightness to 10%. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth when not is use. Close any browser windows not being used.

I have had BW on my 9000, 9700 and my Torch and have never had any battery drain.

Battery life is great on the Torch...it is just worse with BW. Turning off WiFi and BT would be kind of counterproductive given I use those services frequently. I'm thinking of maybe using a smart wifi app but I've heard differing reports of battery drain since it looks for the saved wifi networks which seems similar to the wifi searching. I don't know enough about it though. I find the screen turned down to 10% is far too dark. Do you actually use it at that level?
    01-30-11 05:32 PM
    With backlight on 10%, BerryWeather updates every 2 hours and a heavy day I still have power remaining. On both the Torch and the 9000 I had no issues with BW and battery.

01-30-11 05:42 PM
    If 10% is too dark, try a little brighter. Increasing the regular and alert update interval should also help. You can update more frequently on a manual basis.
    01-30-11 08:15 PM
    What would use less battery;
    1. Cell location only
    2. GPS only
    3. GPS (cell location fallback.)

I would think cell location would be the easiest if the app isn't using the GPS but I could be wrong. All I want it to do is give me the conditions at one fixed location i.e. not follow me around.

Also, I wonder if setting to BIS-B is better than auto?

Als
    01-31-11 01:42 AM
    Mine is set to the third one. Updating is BIS-B and Networking is set to Auto. Could it be the battery?

01-31-11 06:22 AM
    I've been using BW on the Torch since I got it and there has been absolutely no significant drainage caused by it. I've had excellent battery life with all OS builds and settings I've suggested in many threads throughout these forums, I have yet to come across an app that has been detrimental to my battery life.
    01-31-11 08:23 AM
    Mine is set to the third one. Updating is BIS-B and Networking is set to Auto. Could it be the battery?

1. What is the difference between all 3 i.e. I assume the GPS is using more than the 3G but I'm not sure?

2. My networking only has BIS-B, auto, wifi as options. What do you mean "Updating is BIS-B and Networking is set to Auto?" Is there a switch somewhere else I'm missing.

3. I don't think it is the battery as I've seen this on multiple 9800s.

Thanks for helping.
    01-31-11 02:41 PM
    I've had bw since my 9000 and 9700 and with my torch, I've had no issues. It does not drain my batt at all. I have my weather set to
    -update every 15 mins
    -advisory update is set to push bis-b
    -auto for network
    -my location is GPS w/cell back up
    Do you have the latest version of bw? Theses options are on the 1st screen under general settings.
    #1--i like the gps with cell location option because no matter where I am, the gps picks up my location and gives me the weather for tha location. I also have a setting for my home location, so that I always know what my home weather is. So that's 2 views I have at all times.
    #2--my advisory Is bis-b, so I receive advisories that I've set up, as soon as they are out. Then there is AUTO for the network...it just works for me
    #3--have u tried to delete and reinstall ?

02-01-11 05:56 AM
    I have my BeWeather set to manual updates. If your battery is draining with the auto-updates, try this. Want weather? Open the app and hit L. I find it to be better on the memory of the device as well as the battery.

02-01-11 08:16 AM
    Addendum: you will still get your weather advisories, which IMO are the most important part of BW.

02-01-11 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD